Is my Winchester a fake

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Trent
Levergunner

Is my Winchester a fake

Post by Trent »

Just recently purchased my first 1968 Winchester 30-30. I have always wanted one, and when I had an opportunity to buy one I jumped. As I continue trying to learn more and more about the gun, and keep seeing multiple pictures, I notice mine looks different than the others I see. All the lettering on the barrel of mine is colored yellow. Is this a normal thing to have on a Winchester gun, or is mine a fake?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Is my Winchester a fake

Post by jeepnik »

LIkely some previous owner just wasnted to highlight the info and painted it yellow. Not fake but quite ugly. Should be fairly easy to remove.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Wouldn't affect the value either way on that one.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

In 1971, 24 Winchesters in 30-30 were purchased by the KGB in the old Soviet Union. These guns had yellow radioactive paint put in the lettering of the barrel so the secret agents could see their guns in the night while doing clandestine missions in Belarus.

Take your gun into a dark room and if it glows, get rid of it but contact the U.S. Atomic Commission first as it will need to be deactivated.......at your cost! which I've read can cost as much as $50,000.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Used to be very common for collectors to highlight the rollstamps with white, yellow, or even gold paint. Just take a cloth with some acetone on it and scrub the yellow paint. But take the forearm wood off first or you can damage the finish!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image Trent, and WELCOME to THE Forum. That roll stamp appears identical to all my post '64 mdl 94s in .30-30. My '50 is different. And I don't have anything between the '50 & the '67... What marlinman93 said... Although I loved Sixgun's comment also! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

It’s not something I would do but I probably wouldn’t worry with it either. It doesn’t look bad to me. I always thought people used clay or chalk to fill lettering for contrast. Do think I’ve ever seen a gun with filled lettering other than some Henrys which were clearly filled with paint from the factory
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I use crayon and a heat gun to mark my various magazines. Hoppe’s won’t cut crayon. In fact I have never found anything but heat to get crayon out of car velour 😳
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Doesn't look fake to me.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Tycer wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:09 pm I use crayon and a heat gun to mark my various magazines. Hoppe’s won’t cut crayon. In fact I have never found anything but heat to get crayon out of car velour 😳
I called Crayola when my kid colored our white carpet with crayons. They said use WD-40 several times followed by blotting, then after that regular carpet cleaner. Worked fairly well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:16 pm
Tycer wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:09 pmI use crayon and a heat gun to mark my various magazines. Hoppe’s won’t cut crayon. In fact I have never found anything but heat to get crayon out of car velour 😳
I called Crayola when my kid colored our white carpet with crayons. They said use WD-40 several times followed by blotting, then after that regular carpet cleaner. Worked fairly well.
I didn't bother... just died it a shade darker than the crayola! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I can remember gold lettering kits for sale at the gun counter when I was a boy. I bought an 1100 Remington that the previous owner had gold filled the receiver rolled engraving with it and it held up for the 5 years or more I used it. Not my thing but I got the deal I wanted on it.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

EdinCT wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:18 am I can remember gold lettering kits for sale at the gun counter when I was a boy. I bought an 1100 Remington that the previous owner had gold filled the receiver rolled engraving with it and it held up for the 5 years or more I used it. Not my thing but I got the deal I wanted on it.
That was likely a product called "Bonanza Gold". It also was sold as Bonanza Silver for people who preferred silver color. It was a big seller at one time back in the 70's and 80's, and my gunsmithing instructor even had a night in class where he showed students how to use it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/