Cz457 17hmr.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Cz457 17hmr.

Post by Nath »

I use a night vision add on on one of my 17 HMR rifles but I needed the scope and add on to move forward more. So I got another mount.
I was excited to fit it but then reality struck me!
I had failed to select high enough rings!
So now I still don't have the eye relief I was seeking because the ocular bell clashes 🤦‍♂️.
OK, it is better than it was so it stays for now.

Anyway after zeroing the units I shot from 200yds down to 50yds in 50yd increments, in wind off a tripod and got this.
20220406_191707.jpg
I was quite pleased with that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: Cz457 17hmr.

Post by AmBraCol »

I'm always amazed and amused by the differences in firearms laws and what's allowed/not allowed. Missouri, for example, is fairly free in gun ownership/transfer/acquisition/etc. BUT night vision equipment is verboten, and of course any "muffling" device is heavily regulated as well. You folk in the UK have to jump through hoops to acquire firearms, but then can load them up with all kinds of night vision gear and hush them up with mufflers.

I keep thinking I'd like to play with one of those 17's, but then I see the price of ammo (if it's on the shelf) and that pretty much silences any urges.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those . 17s have a lot of speed and no recoil. They are more expensive than . 22s in most places, but they do work well within their limits.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like the 17 Hornet since it has many of the advantages of the 17 HMR but is reloadable.

I also like night vision and suppressor stuff....(but OMG never on a levergun; just bolt actions or semiautos only... :D )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:09 am .
I like the 17 Hornet since it has many of the advantages of the 17 HMR but is reloadable
That helps quite a lot.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Screenshot_20220409-190002-870.png
Description: https://youtu.be/t9w8NNjvvfk

The 17 Hornet is still a little cartridge vs the new 17 Fireball and the older 17 Remington...
Screenshot_20220409-190424-242.png
Still, ANY of the 17's are accurate low-recoil varmint rounds.

I like the 17 HMR at the light end, and the 17 Hornet at the 'medium' end; I don't really have an interest in the higher power 17's. I'd get a 204 Ruger if I wanted other than a 223 Rem in that range, and a 22-250 if I wanted flat-shooting power.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have a soft spot for the Remington. Shot a bdl in it when I was younger. It left a good impression on me.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one of the Savage bolt actions in .17 WSM, and it has killed a couple of coyotes. That round comes in 2 bullet weights, and the 25 grain bullet has done a better job on coyotes than the 20 grain bullet has done. That rifle will keep all 8rounds in a nickel sized hole at 100 yards from the bench whether you shoot fast or slow. Most 3 shot groups are easily hidden by a dime. 50 yard groups have all the holes touching or overlapping.
I have shot coyotes on a friend's place. The rifle has a scope with a lighted reticle, and a spotlight is legal on coyotes in Texas. When they start singing at night, light them up and get one or maybe two. After you get one, the others hit the road with alacrity. That .17 WSM is quiet enough to not bother anyone. In the rifle, it has less noise than a .22lr does. You can watch the hole appear in the target if you can see the target clearly enough. Those holes are TINY at 100 yards.

Eventually I want to get a centerfire .17 caliber for the reloading capability. I got the .17 WSM on clearance for less than $70.00.
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Here in Oregon the hunting laws forbid scopes with electronics. So can't use a night vision scope, or a number of other electronic scopes for hunting.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

piller wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:05 am I have one of the Savage bolt actions in .17 WSM, and it has killed a couple of coyotes. That round comes in 2 bullet weights, and the 25 grain bullet has done a better job on coyotes than the 20 grain bullet has done. That rifle will keep all 8rounds in a nickel sized hole at 100 yards from the bench whether you shoot fast or slow. Most 3 shot groups are easily hidden by a dime. 50 yard groups have all the holes touching or overlapping.
I have shot coyotes on a friend's place. The rifle has a scope with a lighted reticle, and a spotlight is legal on coyotes in Texas. When they start singing at night, light them up and get one or maybe two. After you get one, the others hit the road with alacrity. That .17 WSM is quiet enough to not bother anyone. In the rifle, it has less noise than a .22lr does. You can watch the hole appear in the target if you can see the target clearly enough. Those holes are TINY at 100 yards.

Eventually I want to get a centerfire .17 caliber for the reloading capability. I got the .17 WSM on clearance for less than $70.00.
Sounds good. The 17 wsm has not taken off over here ☹
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

They are not popular around here. The 25 grain bullet is supposed to be 2500 fps at the muzzle. It hits with enough power to kill a 30 pound (about 12.5 Kg) coyote if you put it behind the ear. Snap! Thump! Flop!
D. Brian Casady
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

The 17HMR is the ultimate turtle head rifle because it shoots so flat and there is no recoil to speak of. You can watch the turtle heads explode through the scope.

Back in the 1980s I was killing crows with a pencil barrelled Sako rifle in .17 Remington. I really enjoyed that little rifle and it would reach right out there if you didn't have too much wind.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:45 am The 17HMR is the ultimate turtle head rifle because it shoots so flat and there is no recoil to speak of. You can watch the turtle heads explode through the scope.

Back in the 1980s I was killing crows with a pencil barrelled Sako rifle in .17 Remington. I really enjoyed that little rifle and it would reach right out there if you didn't have too much wind.
8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Since the late 1970's my long range varmint rifle has been a .22-250, and it's always been my favorite. But back about 8 or 9 years ago I decided to look at .17HMR rifles, and went to a couple stores that weren't very helpful. I ended up at Sportsman's Warehouse near me and the counter guy was extremely helpful, and brought out every bolt action rifle they had in stock and let me dry fire them with the dummy round they had.
After trying probably 8 different rifles, I narrowed it down to an Anschutz and a CZ 452 American. The Anschutz was $100 more than the CZ, and had a pretty plain wood stock. Also a satin or flat finish on the action. The CZ had gorgeous wood, cut checkering, and a high gloss bluing. Both guns had equally good triggers, so the decision to buy the CZ was easy.
I use the CZ out to about 150 yds. for varmints, and then switch to my Rem. 700VSF for longer shots.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/