Tell me about your .44 Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Tell me about your .44 Special

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Had an article by John Taffin on the .44 Special in DA revolvers come up in my email this morning, and it got me to thinking how much I miss the little Charter Bulldog I used to carry.
What flavor o' Special do you have at your house?

https://americanhandgunner.com/handguns ... a-sixguns/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tell me about your .44 Special

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Shootists Anniversary USFA was my first .44 Special and it is the gun I wear at appropriate BBQ gatherings and I wore it at my wedding.

Bowen conversion on a three screw Ruger .357 frame. 4 5/8 inches and quite enough gun for anything I need a revolver for. If limited to one .44 Special, that would be it.

However, I have several Rugers that are factory chambered for the .44 Special. My Jeff Quinn Ruger GP100 is the smoothest Ruger I have ever messed with. I have a Bowen tuned 3 1/2 inch stainless Vaquero that I have not yet really warmed up to and a Bisley Flattop that Bobby Tyler fixed up for me and I still have not fired it. Top it off with my short 1873 levergun and you can say that I am blessed with .44 Specials.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

USFA .44 Special ... Shootists Anniversary Model ...
CIMG4741.JPG
USFA44spl.JPG
I shoot basically 2 loads .. both with the Keith SWC ... 6.5 gr. Unique or 16.5 gr. 2400

Also have a Shootists Ruger Flattop Bisley in .44 Special ... The USFA is my favorite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

I have two.

A S&W M396 (Alum/Titanium). At 18 oz, it's a handful
And a 5 1/2" Freedom Arms Model 97. This is one of, if not, the most accurate handgun I've ever owned. It can be loaded from mild to wild.
Paul
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

S&W 624
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Paul the 44 is great looking. What bullet weight and loads you using in it? I like it better than the Ruger Alaskan Redhawk. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I have two Rugers: Bisley, .44 Spec’l. Flat Top Blackhawk and a .44 Spec'l. Flat Top Blackhawk. Both are the "smaller frame" and were part of the special run .44 spec'l. revolvers made for and distributed by Lipsey’s.

To tell the truth, I just about forget I had them in the vault. Twelve years old, new in the box, unfired. Why did I buy them? -- who knows why. Probably should sell them.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

3leggedturtle wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:57 am Paul the 44 is great looking. What bullet weight and loads you using in it? I like it better than the Ruger Alaskan Redhawk. Todd/3leg
I'm guessing you are referring to the S&W. Bought it back in 2003 as a backup while bow hunting elk here in MT. Ended up loading it with 17.0gr of Lil'gun and a 260 Keith type SWC and a 260gr WFNGC. Both chronoed right at 1,000 fps at 5 long paces from the muzzle and recoil is notable. Later tried it with the Keith Load (17.0gr 2400/250 Keith) which ran a bit under 1,100 fps on the chrono. NOTE: based on recent articles by Brian Pearce these loads should not be use, not because of cyl strength, but because of the very thin barrel shank/forcing cone area. Doubt that I've shot more than 150rnds thru the gun.

As a bow hunting backup it was replaced with a 4" S&W 329 (Ti/Sc) .44 mag which was my primary go to .44 for better part of a decade. The 329 and now been replaced by 2 3/4" S&W M69 (L frame .44 mag) for .44 Mag duties.

Paul
444Hal
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 444Hal »

My 44 special is actually a 44mag cartridge loaded down to around 44spl velocity in my Marlin 1894.
Had my +P 240gr Rem SP with a healthy dose of H110 & mag primers, but thought I'd develop something that I could get off follow up shots quickly. Came up with HP-38 behind a Horn 180gr XTP HP. Runs just slightly higher than a Spl, but with the longer 20" barrel flies same speed as a 240gr mag out of a revolver barrel and stays on target.
And the plus is both loads hit the same spot out to about 50yds.
Levergunning & Handloading
Yeah, I roll my own pilgrim
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

#1 - Taurus 431, 3" barrel, roughly S$W K frame in size, in fact I carry it in a Simply Rugged holster that was build for a K Frame while up north. In spite of what some folks will tell you, it's been a good resolver and accurate. Several hundred rounds through it so far and zero problems. Have shot it to 250 yards or so with good results. Mostly shoot a 240 gr or so SWC over a snort of Unique. Recoil very similar to a 38 Spl in same size frame, just a bit more nudge but it's not snappy or hard to handle.

#2 - Shootists 25th Anniversary Ruger Bisely with 7 1/2" barrel, fitted with a Fermin Garza front sight. It's my Jeff Quinn commemorative as it was his personal piece. I actually traded one of the JQ GP100's for it before ever taking delivery. Figured I'd rather have one of his personal firearms instead of a commemorative. Haven't shot it much yet, only 100 rounds or so, all Skeeter Loads. I'm looking forward to shooting it some more this summer and using it to reach out to 600 yards or so if I can work up to it.

The first one's a strictly self defense type piece, five shots of 240 gr at a modest velocity will take care of any probable scenario for which it would be called to fill. The second one's not so much of a packing pistol as it is a range and/or hunting gun. It may one day be used to harvest game, time will tell.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Scott,

That is a beautiful roller.

One piece grips. Did Bowen cut Ruger's grip frame to make that work? I can't think how else he'd do it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Captions are off a bit on the first pic in the magazine article those guns are from the 20's-50's...or so

The fifth pic down in the article is the 4" 1950 Target I sold John....he said he was searching his whole life for one....at the time ...20 years ago?...I sold it for $1,000....gave it away...it's a $3500 gun today.....

I shoot mostly 6 grains of Bullseye, 7 grains of 231, or 7.5 of Unique....all behind a Lyman 429421 or a Saeco 260 Keith.....shot my biggest buck ever with a 4" 1950 Target (another one from John's) with 17.5 of 2400 and a 260 Saeco.....the buck was close to 200 pounds and dropped dead 20 yards from where I shot him....

44 Spl, 38-40, and the 32-20 are 3 revolver cartridges I can't live without.

624 at the back/top..... then left to right in the middle...4" 1950 Target Smith, Colt New Frontier, and 6" 1950 Target Smith

Front left....Smith Triplelock Target formally owned by Captian Nate Herreshoff, and a Colt Shooting Master with a factory fitted cylinder and crane in 44-40. The Shooting Master was the Python of its day, built on a New Service frame but a rounded checkered grip frame......

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Catshooter wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:58 pm Scott,

That is a beautiful roller.

One piece grips. Did Bowen cut Ruger's grip frame to make that work? I can't think how else he'd do it.
That's a USFA gun and Dustin Linebaugh cut the barrel down from 5.5 inches to about 4.5 or so and made the one-piece ivory stocks.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Sixgun,

I seriously question why I went to the .44 magnum, then to big bore guns when all I needed was there all along. You wrote:

"shot my biggest buck ever with a 4" 1950 Target (another one from John's) with 17.5 of 2400 and a 260 Saeco.....the buck was close to 200 pounds and dropped dead 20 yards from where I shot him...."

Which is exactly what I should be doing.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Top one is actually marked .44 Russian, but it chambers and fires .44 Special just fine.
I really need to spend more time with these.
Of course, I have a couple of rifles that will fire .44 Special ....
44 Specials .jpg
It's kind of embarrassing to think about which one cost me the most :oops:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
444Hal
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 444Hal »

I don't have an actual 44spl handgun but I was given a Texas "New Army" Cal 44 cap & ball that I've considered converting to a 44 special, if possible. What's held me back so far has been the fact it was sold by Richland Arms and the only conversion cylinders I can find are from Pietta and such.
Levergunning & Handloading
Yeah, I roll my own pilgrim
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:54 am
I seriously question why I went to the .44 magnum, then to big bore guns when all I needed was there all along. You wrote:
Which is exactly what I should be doing.
I hear ya Scott.....in all reality from many different points of view of various people in the know, the 44 magnum did not come about because of the need for a more powerful, and new cartridge/ handgun, it came about for the need of a more powerful 44 Special and while they were at it (designing the 44 Magnum) they gave it their "all" adding 200 fps and a heavier gun.

The way I see it and that's if you can lob a 400 grain 45 caliber rifle bullet traveling 1200 fps lengthwise through a buffalo, then a 44 caliber bullet weighing 260 grains at the same velocity should be fine.....

It's everyone's business to shoot what they want (I'm just a happy intent b.b.) and after a half century of shooting guns I find 1,000 fps as a maximum..... plenty of power for everyday use for pleasure and joy.......hunting and social use excepted.....

Like, who really enjoys plinking with 360 grain bullets at 1400.....no one....it's bravado....and we are all guilty of it. It's the same with h.p.from a car to the tractor they cut grass with.....everyone has to have the most powerful of everything.....

Dust and all... :D ...first thing I see in the a.m.......not big by any standards but was for me......the empty cartridge used is on the right hand time.---00

Last edited by Sixgun on Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

"after a half century of shooting guns I find 1,000 fps as a maximum..... plenty of power for everyday use for pleasure and joy.......hunting and social use excepted....."

I honestly think that everything I have killed with a handgun in the last 40 years could easily have been handled with a good .44 Special Skeeter load.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Why sure.....900 f.p.s. with a heavy bullet.......(I AM a huge fan of the heavy cast bullet).......many years ago my neighbor who at the time had a lot of land upstate was telling me after hunting season....."yea, we didn't see nothing all week and one day I walked outside of the cabin and here's this buck standing 30 yards away looking at me..and the only gun I had was a 4" Smith 38 Spl (factory ammo) so I pulled it out, shot, and the deer dropped dead."

Now, I'm sure that's the exception and not the rule but in those days 38 Spls were loaded weak.

He is also L.E. and all the reasons why L.E. uses what they do is over my head as to knowledge. Our state troopers here use the 45 auto....I b.s. with these guys on a semi regular basis and they are happy with it.......but they don't show me the gun or the ammo...I'm told that's a no-no......it's some kind of an auto....duh!....

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

All of my .44 Spls must've swole up at birth... and by the time they were measured, became .45s!!! :oops: :roll:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Fine posts, boys.
Six, the most important object in this thread is the object on the wall to the right of your whitetail mount.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Just the one, wish it was original... Shipped to San Francisco in 1913 as a 32wcf. 1st gen Russian and S&W 44 barrel and cylinder fitted later.
20160527_133027.jpg
20160315_162048.jpg
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I love those markings!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have a 629 classic 44 mag that impersonates a 44 special :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

RIHMFIRE wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:43 am I have a 629 classic 44 mag that impersonates a 44 special :wink:
Don't you mean "self-identifies"? :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:56 am
RIHMFIRE wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:43 am I have a 629 classic 44 mag that impersonates a 44 special :wink:
Exactly. my redhawk has the same condition. but is quite happy to believe it when 'SPECIAL' ammo fills his cylinder. redhawks can dream too . . . :roll:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

As far as I know my 44 special is a one of a kind.
Back in the early 90s while attending Trinidad State Junior College one of my classmates, John Gallagher started making 5 shot big bore single actions on SBH frames. He was taking 348 cases an cutting down to use 458 bullets. There was always intrested students watching, chiming in etc. So one day I said to John what do you think of a small frame 44 special, can it be done? But what frame to use? If you remember thats about the time Ruger brought out the center fire Single Six frame. I promptly sold my 22 Single Six and ordered a new .32 Single Six, sent a box of 32 S&W down range before I pulled the barrel & cylinder for the donor frame.
A bit of measuring, discussions, thoughts, more measurements, file work, machine 2 cylinders ( first got too thin!), and viola an Single Six 44 special was born!
20210224_173712.jpg
20210224_173722.jpg
20210224_173738.jpg
20210224_173748.jpg
20210224_173834.jpg
20210224_174024.jpg
It now wears lace wood grips.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

My most accurate snubby happens to shoot .44 Special quite well.
Mark in MO
Levergunner

Post by Mark in MO »

While I have no 44 Special handguns I have a few of the Magnum variety. In my younger days I felt it wasn't worth doing if it wasn't running max flat out. I probably shot a couple of 5 gallon buckets of those hot loads over the last 35 years. However as I've gotten older, and perhaps smarter (hopefully), I have developed an affinity for more sedate, enjoyable to shoot loads. Currently using 240 gr. SWC or plated bullets in the 850-900 fps range and truthfully enjoy shooting it more.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Mark in MO wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:19 pm Currently using 240 gr. SWC or plated bullets in the 850-900 fps range and truthfully enjoy shooting it more.
I think that's the sweet spot. All of my favorite loads, seemingly regardless of caliber or gun seem to run somewhere around 800 to 950 fps.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ruger GP100 in .44 Special. Excellent ergonomics, trigger pull (both in double-action and single-action), and sight picture. The grip insert is from Altamont Grips.
It is only a 5-shot, but I don't think that is a detriment to its effectiveness. And it is a Ruger, so it is over-engineered and built like a tank! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh, and my bona fides in case something doesn't believe it is me! :wink: :lol:

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jay, the only thing that has made me hesitate about the GP100 in .44 Special is the weight vs "that other five-shooter" the Bulldog. But it is a better revolver by a large margin
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:42 pm Jay, the only thing that has made me hesitate about the GP100 in .44 Special is the weight vs "that other five-shooter" the Bulldog. But it is a better revolver by a large margin
I had considered that as well. Not that I try to hotrod it, but with the weight of the Ruger, it just purrs when you shoot it. I understand the Bulldog can be uncomfortable.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Grizz wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:25 am
JimT wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:56 am
Exactly. my redhawk has the same condition. but is quite happy to believe it when 'SPECIAL' ammo fills his cylinder. redhawks can dream too . . . :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FORGOT TO BE PC
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

290ED52E-8114-4D3C-922A-6627C37DAC74.jpeg
Left to right: Bowen conversion, Colt, Gallagher conversion.
Because of the sights, I can shoot either of the Rugers best. A little white out on the front sight of the Colt sure helps me. Any suggestions on seeing that Colt front sight a little better/sharper?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

BC, can't help much on the Colt front sight as I have similar issues with my Cimarron. Boy that Gallagher conversion is a handsome article! 8)
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

1- S&W m1950 Target- bought used in 1966. Brought home in basket of my bicycle. Still kept in waxed paper and blue box with cleaning tools by seller. Gave $5 more to get dies, single cavity Lyman 429421 mold and 200 rds brass.
2- Ruger OM Blackhawk custom 4.6", circa 1976. 1/20" twist Douglas bbl. Micro front sight. Local gunsmith.
3- Colt Bisley 1906 w/2nd gen. bbl and cyl.
4- S&W m24 4". Christmas gift. Still unfired.
5- S&W m24 3"
6- Colt SAA Sheriff's model 3" cased early 3rd gen. w/44-40 cyl.
7- Colt SAA 3rd gen. 7.5".