al48

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

al48

Post by Nath »

I've always had a soft spot for Franchi al48 shotguns!
When I see one and it comes up nice I get all itchy and the like.
So when I visited my local fun store and asked if I can go look in the back of the store, a rare privilege only allowed to a few, I spotted a new arrival in fair condition.
The low price tag induced me to shoulder it and yep it kept coming up good so I asked if I could try it for a few days, the answer, as ever was yes.

12g, chokes measures around 2/3's by my reckoning, the gun barrel says 3/4 choke or IMP MOD but it shoots more like 1/2 or MOD choke shooting casually with target loads.

It would not cycle ounce loads to start with no matter which way around the governor ring was. Trying heavier loads was equally as disappointing.
Now I remembered how some of these like oil on the bronze bushing and some don't! This one was dry so I oiled it and presto, it cycles everything even down to 7/8oz loads !

Time to get some crows!
It comes up well and shoots a touch low if aimed but for wing shooting I like to see more barrel which it does and thus shoots where I am looking.
20220402_162552.jpg
20220402_155712.jpg
20220401_171913.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: al48

Post by gamekeeper »

That's just darn sneeky, not letting them crows see the flash in the pan first....... :D congratulations Nath have fun... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good find Nath, I have a 20 ga that I bought about seven years ago. 24" barrel screw in chokes , light as a feather. My ffl at the time had a dark poorly lit store that was hard to see in. I picked the gun up and got home . the bottom of the stock was ugly and didn't take the finish they used and looked like s***. I got ahold of customer service and sent it back . They didn't have any standard wood and re-stocked it with a deluxe prince of wales stock set. too nice for Me.
In the manual that came with it they say to run the magazine tube dry. But just like the Browning Auto-5 a drop of oil can make the difference. three drops of oil and My A-5's will shoot 1oz loads fine. their are some members of shotgun world who have been hunting with the al 48's for a lifetime. Good Luck.
And for a hunting gun You sure won't miss lugging a heavy gun! :D .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Cheers 45colt.
Yeah, some are funny in that they need a drop of oil.
I've owned them that run dry just fine.
I love the simplicity of the design.

When I were a lad I remember drooling over a 20g model 48 with fancy walnut and whilst I'm not 100% I'm sure I saw a 28g once!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yep when they were first discontinued I passed on a few 28 ga AL 48's , and am regretting it. but I did get a Tristar Viper G2 28ga and it runs just fine. Have a Great Day!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've owned a 48 since the mid 70's. Lightly oil the bushing, and remember, there are two springs one for light loads and one for magnum loads. Could be you have the heavier spring. I sent you a link via PM but will include it here as well.
https://ia800404.us.archive.org/19/item ... 2048Al.pdf
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

jeepnik wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:37 pm I've owned a 48 since the mid 70's. Lightly oil the bushing, and remember, there are two springs one for light loads and one for magnum loads. Could be you have the heavier spring. I sent you a link via PM but will include it here as well.
https://ia800404.us.archive.org/19/item ... 2048Al.pdf
Ah, I did not know that, I thought there was only the option of turning the governor ring around.

As it happens with oil it cycles light loads just fine with the governor ring set to heavy loads even.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I always start out, set for heavy loads and let the gun tell me if it is a light load. Saves the gun and saves my shoulder.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

765x53 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:14 am I always start out, set for heavy loads and let the gun tell me if it is a light load. Saves the gun and saves my shoulder.
With the al48 you do have to monitor the guns reaction. To much recoil can damage a long recoil action. I once accidentally dropped a 70mm mini magnum in an al48 and split the forend 🤦‍♂️
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve got a friend who’s favorite dove gun is an AL48 20 gauge with the slug barrel . I’ve come close several times to getting one in 28 but haven’t so far .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:49 pm That's just darn sneeky, not letting them crows see the flash in the pan first....... :D congratulations Nath have fun... 8)
Was thinking the same thing! Awfully modern of you Nath! :wink: