House gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

House gun

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’m not sure everyone feels the same way I do, but I want a house gun that will remove chunks from people who seek to do my family harm. So I do not use a levergun or AR for my house gun. I use this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: House gun

Nothing fancy. No lights. Nothing "tactical" just a full magazine of OO buck. There isn't a distance in my house or yard that this gun would not reach effectively.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Years ago my Dad made a mold that cast a 500 grain + or - full wadcutter slug. I still have some of these .. running close to 1400 fps. They tear an awful hole in things. Not sure I'd want to use them in the house. Don't know where they would stop. They are nice for use on cars.
IMG_3248.JPG
IMG_3247.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Jim,

I imagine that would do a number on a car or anything else!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Were it just me a 12 would be fine. But my wife may also need to use the house gun. Therefore a 20 is ideal.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My go to house gun is a semiauto 12 ga. that hold 5 rds. I figure that things should be over at 5 rds., but II don't count on just one gun either. I have my Colt .45 ACP handgun and a couple 9mm handguns also in strategic places. I am not paranoid, just want to be prepared and never get caught where I can't get to protection in a hurry.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:37 am Years ago my Dad made a mold that cast a 500 grain + or - full wadcutter slug. I still have some of these .. running close to 1400 fps. They tear an awful hole in things. Not sure I'd want to use them in the house. Don't know where they would stop. They are nice for use on cars.

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG
do you have a photo of the slug?

my house gun is keltec 9mm sub2k,20 round mags, or 7.62 pistol, or 1911, or xd 45, or something, i forget
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

jeepnik wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:47 am Were it just me a 12 would be fine. But my wife may also need to use the house gun. Therefore a 20 is ideal.
I cannot imagine my wife ever shooting anyone. That probably makes her a much better person than I am.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Inside the house, I'm a handgun guy... either my EDC CC or a full-size 1911... then there's always the S&W mdl 65 with several speed-loaders.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

My 590 shorty is a little bear with full boat ammo. I like the War Wolf 1 7/8 mini. I know the popular stuff is the 1 3/4 mini but a lot of guns won't feed them without a mini block to shorten the action. I've had no issues with the 1 7/8 shells. Also IMO, a lot of the minis went way too wimpy (Aguila for one). WW keeps normal velocity but lightens the payload some so recoil is controllable. My standard is the 8 pellets of #1 buck. Quite authoritative yet controllable.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The 870 is always a great choice Scott. Marlinman wrote" I am not paranoid, just want to be prepared and never get caught where I can't get to protection in a hurry." Yep that's the key for Me. after having crazy people next door for six years coming and going all hours of the night and all kind of bizarre things going on I have kept three loaded shotguns in the house. never thought I would be paranoid .
I got a Good lesson on doors last year , the neighbor on the other side had a fire start in the garage last year. the Fire dept came and they had two dogs inside the house. one fireman got in the front of the house, a steel door , He was a good size man and He kicked that door in like it was a piece of paper. I watched and it took him 10 seconds. made Me think what if He was an intruder.? Like Elmer said "when You need a Gun, you Need it badly."
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have the Mossberg version. Rides under the backseat in my truck.
Replaced the Sig MPX next to my night stand with a Benelli M4. just because I wanted one.

I've seen a lot of people dog the Shockwave, but all it takes is a little practice. I'm sure that these are the "professionals" that have never shot one either. :lol:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

2ndovc wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:10 pm I've seen a lot of people dog the Shockwave, but all it takes is a little practice. I'm sure that these are the "professionals" that have never shot one either. :lol:

jb 8)
Not me. I have been using similar guns going back to the early 1980s. I carried a short Ithica for years and I still think it is the best thing for kicking in doors.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott, I put that grip on my skiff gun, and discovered that the bones and connections in my hand can't tolerate recoil delivered like that, have to put the pistol grip back on it. :D it is cool that it's slicker handling with your grip on it.

I lost my grip > > > :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just the sound of a pump gun is usually enough to get anyone's attention ( who'd thought hollyweird could be educational). Anyhow yes my Benelli M1Super90 is the house gun and the BPS 10ga is usually stoked as well.
I'd prefer lead #2s over buckshot ( reduced over penetration) but normally have them both stoked with buckshot as lead #2s are very hard to find.

I used to have a recurring dream , guy breaks into the house and I lit him up good. Last gasp he says all I wanted was a glass of water... I always woke up in a cold sweat!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Here in not so jolly old England guns for self defense are not allowed they are only for sporting purposes.. :roll: So my house gun is whatever sporting gun I decide needs a bit of attention, Shirley has a Mossberg 20 gauge slugster with a bantam stock.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Grizz wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:43 pm Scott, I put that grip on my skiff gun, and discovered that the bones and connections in my hand can't tolerate recoil delivered like that, have to put the pistol grip back on it. :D it is cool that it's slicker handling with your grip on it.

I lost my grip > > > :lol:
I had one of the plastic versions and did not like it. This is more like what we were using a long time back and the wood is easy to hold onto.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I keep a Glock 21SF with a Streamlight TLR on the nightstand. My wife has her 2 carry J-frames on her nightstand. I keep a short barreled carbine with a light in the closet.
While I understand I'm in the minority, I am NOT a shotgun guy. I also want every advantage, and have no intention of giving warning or giving away my position with the "Hollywood pump". If they aren't armed or a threat, I won't shoot them, but I ain't giving nothing away.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I'm very comfortable with a pump action shotgun next to my nightstand. I also have my Colt 1911 in the nightstand drawer.
Around here it's critters with 4 legs more that the two-legged type that go bump in the night.
Johnny
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...They are nice for use on cars...." :o :shock: :lol:

As a kid I grew up in riverbottom country and the neighbor used old cars to shore up eroding edges of his fields, and some were left upright here and there (dunno why) in the riverbottom vs on the edge, maybe as 'spares' for adding after floods. Probably put in place in the 1950's judging by the models. So we kids had a blast playing "The Untouchables" shooting various guns at and through and sometimes from within, the junked automobiles. Sadly, the river-edge ones did their jobs, with roots of vines and then soil deposition and then trees and their roots, and finally "stable land" on the river-edge, and the ones on flat ground were removed by the present neighbor (his grandkid) when they expanded the tilled area.

However, the local 4-H Shooting Club is mentored by a friend of mine who is a police officer, and he takes them to shoot junk cars at the end of the safety class, under the guise of knowing the difference between 'concealment' and 'cover'. The kids love it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

This is a pretty good explanation. I've measured every reasonable shooting distance in and around my house and I understand the pattern at each different range.

https://youtu.be/fM_sqSTg2v8
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Pardon the language but this isn’t for the faint of heart.

https://youtu.be/b4sVQ_ZwI04
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Anything is better than nothing. One thing I noticed from 30 years of LE. Most burglars work alone and are drug addicts...usually heroin. They're looking to grab anything they can sell for a fix. They almost always target empty homes when victims are at work or the very elderly. Most will flee when confronted. Home invasions are a whole different animal. Most are gang members and are semi-planned and they are always armed. It's a robbery, not a burglary.
Your shotgun is a great choice.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Since no one else said it, I will......"Say hello to my little friend!" :mrgreen:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

jkbrea wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:50 pm Anything is better than nothing. One thing I noticed from 30 years of LE. Most burglars work alone and are drug addicts...usually heroin. They're looking to grab anything they can sell for a fix. They almost always target empty homes when victims are at work or the very elderly. Most will flee when confronted. Home invasions are a whole different animal. Most are gang members and are semi-planned and they are always armed. It's a robbery, not a burglary.
Many of the burglaries that I investigated were juveniles. While we had drug problems in Houston, I don't recall ever arresting anyone for possession of heroin. Crack cocain had hit the streets in the early 1980s and it seemed like that was the major drug of choice where I was. May be regional or cultural differences.

You are absolutely correct about home invasions. Generally the invaders are operating off of some intelligence about a lot of cash or jewelry being stored in the residence. That leaves me out. Never had much of either.

BUT I wonder if we won't see more home invasions as society continues to spiral downward?
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Groceries may be what ther're looking for next.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

1894cfan wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:06 pm Since no one else said it, I will......"Say hello to my little friend!" :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:19 pm BUT I wonder if we won't see more home invasions as society continues to spiral downward?
The way our country is heading I think you are unfortunately right.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:19 pm
jkbrea wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:50 pm Anything is better than nothing. One thing I noticed from 30 years of LE. Most burglars work alone and are drug addicts...usually heroin. They're looking to grab anything they can sell for a fix. They almost always target empty homes when victims are at work or the very elderly. Most will flee when confronted. Home invasions are a whole different animal. Most are gang members and are semi-planned and they are always armed. It's a robbery, not a burglary.
Many of the burglaries that I investigated were juveniles. While we had drug problems in Houston, I don't recall ever arresting anyone for possession of heroin.
I worked So. Cal. Lots of heroin. Seems Mexicans did mostly heroin, white boys did meth and blacks did rock. Some did all!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

JimT wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:37 am Years ago my Dad made a mold that cast a 500 grain + or - full wadcutter slug. I still have some of these .. running close to 1400 fps. They tear an awful hole in things. Not sure I'd want to use them in the house. Don't know where they would stop. They are nice for use on cars.

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG
The closest you're going to get to that these days is the Lyman 12ga hollow base sabot slug or NOE shotgun slug, either hollow base or solid. Pure lead is recommended, but I use L#2 and a solid 575gr. slug going some 1400fps. Now THAT has got to hurt!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's my old House Guns ... one for me and one for the Little Lady...

Nice because they are basically double-action revolvers, so no springs to de-tension if left loaded (the 'winding' spring is a coil spring that is oversized for the job so low risk for fatigue, and the gun shoots without it being wound; a quick twist of the cylinder lever fully does the trick, so you could make your first shot 'quietly' if needed before the twist).
Screenshot_20220329-220708-173.png
Fun and practical but very space-greedy when put in a gun safe; then they became NFA items... :roll:

So I sold them, bought suppressors instead, and we have a 45 Colt Levergun and AR side-charger to take their place.
Screenshot_20220330-203727~2.png
Screenshot_20220330-203716~2.png
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I used a bunch of issue shotguns over 30 years and my favorite was a 15" 870 with a 12" stock w/Limbsaver and +1 mag extension. One of my sons has an 18" 870 with a wire folding pistol-grip Knoxx stock on it that ain't much bigger. It didn't really look like something I was just itching to shoot slugs and 000 buck out of; but the recoil reduction gizmo really works and it's painless to shoot.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006672445
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Double barrel 12 gauge with hammers loaded with shot. No compressed springs to worry about like in a hammerless gun or with ammo in the mag tube. By using #6 (or similar sized shot), there is less fear of it going through walls than there is with slugs or buckshot. As a backup gun, it's a 38 Special double action revolver loaded with +P ammo. Same principle as with the double barrel shotgun--no compressed springs.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What makes many people think an intruder only comes at nighttime when they are in bed? It can happen at any time and anywhere in or outside of your house, even when your changing the oil, cooking, watching TV, in the shower, (oooo.think fast) cutting the grass or just walking out to your vehicle to go to work.

I live in condition yellow and sleep in condition white...that's what the dogs are for.

I rely on several handguns and one is always on me. With a handgun it's harder to get from you, its easier in close quarters, it's easier to be sneaky, (hey! Here's my wallet!...bam!)...or if he doesn't think your armed he will at some point turn his attention away from you...bam!.....

But I practice and can hit with a handgun to 50 yards as well or better than the average guy can with a long gun....and fast.

I also always carry a knife that's on a lanyard.......yank the string that hooked to my belt loop ....so I don't have to fish for it....one flip and it's open......the "yank" will break the string holding it. Also two KBar WW2 I keep in the most likely places I'll be ambushed...straight in the throat.

Plus, I have a reputation that I take no prisioners...don't know if it works but no one has ever challenged me on it.

As Clint Smith says, "always cheat, always win".......and I'll add, no remorse------006
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Good point; I'll bet most of us have a handgun on us as well; a neighbor looked up from the kitchen sink to realize a dude had walked into her house with mal intent.

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Handguns are handy because you wear them. However, I've never really trusted a handgun round to do much more than poke a hole in something or someone. Any handgun round is a poor substitute for a rifle, or at the right range, a load of buckshot.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have taught my family that the handgun is for the purpose of fighting your way to the shotgun.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Mine is a sawed off double barrel 10 gauge (20 inch bbls). I load it with #4 Buckshot. Each shell holds 54 pellets ( equivalent payload to 2 12 gauge shells). I use it for cowboy action shooting also, so I am practiced at reloading it quickly and I am well practiced in "giving them both barrels". I also keep some slugs.. 1 3/4 oz. (766 grains), won't use them in the house because no wall will stop them. They drop deer like a bad habit!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

buckeyeshooter wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:59 am Mine is a sawed off double barrel 10 gauge (20 inch bbls). I load it with #4 Buckshot. Each shell holds 54 pellets ( equivalent payload to 2 12 gauge shells). I use it for cowboy action shooting also, so I am practiced at reloading it quickly and I am well practiced in "giving them both barrels". I also keep some slugs.. 1 3/4 oz. (766 grains), won't use them in the house because no wall will stop them. They drop deer like a bad habit!
Now that is the ultimate answer!

I remember Cooper doing a research project on the social use of the shotgun. I don't think he was able to find incidents where people needed more than one or two rounds to solve the problem. He theorized that a short double barrel shotgun with hammers would be ideal for a house gun because the springs would be relaxed and you would not cock the hammers unless and until you needed them.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

My antifa gun! A little unwieldy in a house but a lot of fun to shoot! Rock Island Armory VR80. Shoots 2 3/4 or 3" shells. Its built like an AR with oversize mag release and bolt release. You do need to use higher velocity shells. I found 1300fps or more work great. I have a Rem 870 pump. With a right shoulder replacement, I can only shoot about 5-6 slugs and it gets sore. With this I can empty the 20 round drum. Only pain is cramps from laughing!
Screenshot_20220330-091953_Photos.jpg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I care about my safety, but I also care about my hearing. A standard pressure 45 acp with the 230 gr fmj is probably the quietest tool I have for inside work. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

kaschi wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:41 pm Double barrel 12 gauge with hammers loaded with shot. No compressed springs to worry about like in a hammerless gun or with ammo in the mag tube. By using #6 (or similar sized shot), there is less fear of it going through walls than there is with slugs or buckshot. As a backup gun, it's a 38 Special double action revolver loaded with +P ammo. Same principle as with the double barrel shotgun--no compressed springs.
that was my Dad's bedside gun. He called it a coach-gun.

trust BUT verify
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

jkbrea wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:29 am My antifa gun! A little unwieldy in a house but a lot of fun to shoot! Rock Island Armory VR80. Shoots 2 3/4 or 3" shells. Its built like an AR with oversize mag release and bolt release. You do need to use higher velocity shells. I found 1300fps or more work great. I have a Rem 870 pump. With a right shoulder replacement, I can only shoot about 5-6 slugs and it gets sore. With this I can empty the 20 round drum. Only pain is cramps from laughing
Dang! I like that! That baby is a real deal alley cleaner.....load her up with 3" #4 buckshot and your ready for any BLM riot... :D --00
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:55 am Handguns are handy because you wear them. However, I've never really trusted a handgun round to do much more than poke a hole in something or someone. Any handgun round is a poor substitute for a rifle, or at the right range, a load of buckshot.
Just carry a Desert Eagle or 454 Casull.... :lol: :mrgreen:

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Giving this subject even more thought, it's got to be rare that the perp is going to give you any time to grab a gun or for that matter, think and the last thing I want to do in a situation like that that is try to grab a long gun of any type. A handgun is right there and if you practice enough and train yourself mentally, it will be like pointing your finger.

As Jim T says, I'd run if a .22 was being fired at me so I feel confident in 147's in the 9 or 200's in the 38......heck, people are thin skinned animals

But I'm not experienced in such matters.....maybe someone here is.....I rely on actual cases written down by people who have done it, like Col. Jeff. He did say a .45 knocked down those japs pretty easily...he just didn't knock down enough of em as far as I'm concerned---00
Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As I mentioned, mine is a 20 ga. Specifically, a Franchi 48L. It has been since I purchased it in Spain. It originally had a 26” barrel. As it was my only long gun served both hunting and home defense purposes. My only other firearm at the time was a Llama .357 Comanche.

After I was discharged money was tight. Attending college on the GI bill, we lived in about the worst part of town there was.

The potential to need the shotgun was there and the Comanche had been sold. That long barrel was just that, too long. I took it to a local smith and asked to have the barrel cut down. He looks askance so I explained the situation. He cut, crowned (I didn’t ask for that) and cold blued the area.

When I picked it up the put a box of #4 buck and a box ot slugs on the counter alongside the shotgun then refused payment for any of it. Grown men aren’t supposed to get teary eyed but there you go.

Needless to say when things got better a money was available he was the fellow I bought from.

I eventually bought two new barrels of different chokes and have put uncounted numbers of shells through it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Personally I prefer a shotgun with a buttstock for control, and handling recoil better. Mine is a Panzer AR12 and being semiauto helps a little with recoil also. It's of course quick followup shots also if I needed more than one.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

My choice is whatever is at hand when I need it.
I am not putting all my hope and trust on something that i may not be able to reach or use because of other circumstances.
Life is beyond any control we fool ourselves into thinking we have.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

rock-steady wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:48 pm Groceries may be what ther're looking for next.
It's coming! Get ready and keep yer trap shut! :|
Coalsmoke
Levergunner

Post by Coalsmoke »

1894cfan wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:57 pm

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG
The closest you're going to get to that these days is the Lyman 12ga hollow base sabot slug or NOE shotgun slug, either hollow base or solid. Pure lead is recommended, but I use L#2 and a solid 575gr. slug going some 1400fps. Now THAT has got to hurt!
My Dad and I mold and shoot the Lyman 525's. We use pure lead as recommended and load them in 2 3/4 AA hulls. They are absolutely total devastation on deer and pigs. I have a couple that I recovered from pigs and they are perfect mushrooms. As far as I can tell, a deer will not stop one.