About Drinking

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

About Drinking

Post by JimT »

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

Drink wine, and you will sleep well. Sleep, and you will not sin. Avoid sin, and you will be saved. Ergo, drink wine and be saved.
(Medieval German saying)

Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.
(The Proverbs, 31:6 - 7)

Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
(Mark Twain)

Happiness is having a rare steak, a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak.
(Johnny Carson)

“I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey.

If when you say whiskey you mean the devil’s brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation and despair and shame and helplessness and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But; If when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman’s step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life’s great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.”

(Judge Noah “Soggy” Sweat - Southern legislator and Judge)
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: About Drinking

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I like a little brown water when sitting around a fire with friends. Otherwise it is rare that I touch the stuff.

I don't spend near enough time with my friends.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jim,
Excessive drink, like any vice, cannot be taught, sermoned or ruled by law, only personally learned and if your lucky or smart, you catch on and quit.....

Everyone's genes are different...some are happy with one drink while most are happy with about 4-5 and then there's the segment of the population that has the gene that says,"drink until you pass out."

It's a free country to do as you please and I'll support that 'till the end........we all create our own destiny by making decisions.....

A few days after turning 40 I quit drink and smoke......I was fully functional ........only vice I have left is Skoal.......your choice by freedom, not by the Book-----006
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

No different than firearms.

Pretty hard to say murder isn't the guns fault, but alcohol is evil, and the "cause" of all kinds of bad.
Some people can't handle a gun. Some people can't handle alcohol.

I have always said that I could never let myself become an alcoholic. I like the taste of a cold beer on a hot day, or a nice whiskey after a day hunting, too much.
I can't imagine not being able to enjoy that ever again.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mark Twain and Johnny Carson gave me belly laughs. :lol:
Thanks Jim. Needed a lift today.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OldWin wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:45 pm No different than firearms.

Pretty hard to say murder isn't the guns fault, but alcohol is evil, and the "cause" of all kinds of bad.
Some people can't handle a gun. Some people can't handle alcohol.
Yep - same as 'drugs' (alcohol IS a drug, anyway). The percentage of people who "can't handle" different drugs without hurting themselves (which is really their own business) or others (which IS everyone's business) is different for different drugs - few people are harmed by someone who smokes tobacco, a few more by those who smoke marijuana, or take pain meds or anxiety meds, or other drugs that impair, and some drugs like LSD would be very difficult to use without a high likelihood of harming others, but the reality is that most of our "drug problem" is a result of FAILING TO HOLD PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE for their actions, so they get impaired and harm others and aren't held accountable, or they get hooked on something that is expensive enough they can't afford it so they turn to violent crime. Of course our 'war on drugs' is why the prices are high, and why even the individuals who aren't impaired at all at work lose their jobs due to a failed drug screen, which makes matters worse instead of better, because it doesn't decrease actual drug use/abuse, but shifts the issue from a medical problem as with the alcoholic into a crime issue, which is far worse. Few alcoholics commit armed robberies for booze money, and Walgreens and CVS don't engage in drive-by shootings of each other's places of business for competing on liquor sales.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I don't know how typical I am, but many of my friends are the same. As a young man, particularly while in the service, I drank to excess frequently. It was cheap, accessable and often times the only thing to do of interest that didn't have the potential of a sick call visit a few days later. Later, after marriage and discharge I drank less frequently and then rarely to excess. Theses days due to health considerations I rarely drink and never to excess.

All of this proves only one thing. I learn, but often times very, very slowly.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

jeepnik wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:46 pm All of this proves only one thing. I learn, but often times very, very slowly.
I believe that applies to the human race, my friend.
It's not a bad thing.
The bad thing is to never learn.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Wine is fine, brandy when it is handy and beer when it is near !

That was my motto when I was young. But as all things, they change with age; now I seldom drink, alcohol that it is. It now all about feeling better in the morning and that means a lot of moderation on my part, or drink the really good stuff, when I do drink. However I still tear one on once or twice a year to regret it in the morning. Just to reinforce the lessons learned don't cha know .
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Some mighty fine wisdom there Jim. Thanks, I needed that! 🍻
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My my how I used to like to drink , now I’ve gotta make a concerted effort to drink any alcohol drink anymore . Other than when I kill a deer I drink a beer after I’ve processed the animal sort of a tradition , or when I’m in the Philippines a cold beer there comes in very well at lunch or dinner , or a Jack and Coke at the Xmas luncheon at the shop and finally there’s sometimes a bottle of Port in the frig for a nice swig after dinner .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

A serendipitous thread for sure. In the past I enjoyed a sip of good whiskey or brandy, occasionally a shot of schnapps, but I no longer partake or consume any alcohol.
To each, their own....

Mark Twain also said, "God didn't create anything in vain, but the fly comes pretty close"
....so true :D
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

These days a good quality beer in moderation is about it for me! 5 or 6 pints of Guinness is all I need on a weekend evening! When I was younger, I've overindulged quite a bit.
Now I'm pushing into my late 50's I'm wiser! I generally stay away from strong drink. Every then and again I'll indulge in a shot or two of good Burban when a buddy stops in for a visit!
that's me in the middle enjoying a beer after a day of fluke fishing on the south shore of Long Island, N.Y.
Johnny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JOG on Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coalsmoke
Levergunner

Post by Coalsmoke »

Like my Old Granny used to say "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!".
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I used to be a heavy drinker in my misspent youth but now I rarely drink alcohol other an occasional beer. I'm drinking a Mackeson stout as I write this.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Everything in moderation.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Never understood the term misspent youth. I spent my youth very well :lol:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like the taste of some alcoholic beverages. I just do not have even a tiny amount of desire to get drunk nowadays. My fifth of my favorite brandy is still at least half full and is almost a year old. I use wine in cooking. It can really add to the flavor of many foods.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My wife and I are both up in our 60's and have the joint pain to go along with it. We have also both had back surgery. To ease the pain she takes hydrocodine which doesn't seem to help me at all. On the other hand I can drink some rum and coke to make my day move comfortable. We both use pain medication, I just have a different pharmacist than she does and mine isn't covered by my insurance plan.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I used to a lot and now I don't a lot. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have seen and lived the good, bad, and ugly of it. when I started My job in the early '70's we had to take hour lunches, 50% of the Men went to the bar and drank. shots and beers everyday. in the days before cameras everywhere and human resource departments it was the Wild West everyday. my #1 rule is to stay out of the bars . My favorite time to have a few is cooking on the grill listening to the radio at home . like last night cooked a Big Rib Steak on the Weber.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

50 some odd years ago a young drunk made a bad decision one night when he drove a married lady home to another town. Three quarters of the way to his destination he crossed over the lina and hit my Uncle's family head on on the highway. The engine of the Chevy went inside the cab and severed my Aunts leg, killing her. My Uncle and three very small children were all killed, the oldest boy just survived the night. The baby went through the windshield and was not found till daylight. The only survivor was the married lady. Beer cans littered the highway.

Grandpa was heartbroken watching five caskets of his sons family exit the church. He went to his room and began having whiskey delivered every day till it killed him six months later. One drunks decision to drive that night eliminated a whole family from the planet. Uncle was a fine hard working man, a Korea Vet, Aunt was a delightful and loving young woman. They had loved to dance.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

A very sad story Octagon. Our choices have consequences.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

So Sorry Octagon , but for the Grace of God Go I........