New old Garand stock.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

New old Garand stock.

Post by Pitchy »

Remember how beat up the stock was on my Garand, well i found a SA stock on ebay for 22 bucks that is real nice.
It has the SA markings on it and the color matches real nice i really like it.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: New old Garand stock.

Post by AJMD429 »

When I was a 31 year old kid, an elderly expert gunner put National Match sights and a new match-grade 308 barrel on a beat-up Garand - all I did was pay for the barrel and he donated the sights and did all the labor, including glass-bedding the action and replacing the gas cylinder and op-rod tip for perfect fit.

When I went to pick it up, I felt so humbled I told him how cool it was, and thinking I could make the effort to offer some labor of my own to the project, I said "Well, I can't do much gunsmithing, but I'm a fair hand at wood-work, and I'll bet if I sand down and refinish that stock, this rifle will look as good as it will shoot..." He looked at me like I'd just insulted him, and said "Son, if you refinish that stock, you'll induce strain and stress and that glass-bedding will be all for naught; don't you TOUCH that stock, you hear me...!!!" So I have one of the UGLIEST Garands out there, but it is a tack-driver. Far more accurate than I can shoot, and every time I do manage to shoot it, without the careful hand-loads and precision technique I know would wring out the most accuracy, I feel guilty.

I'll always remember that guy and his kindness though. I try to pass that kind of thing on whenever I can.

So....if'n you're gonna glass-bed, re-finish first, if you plan on either... :D

Honestly, for me, just as-is for gun and stock is probably best; I'm not a 'match-shooter', just a 'plinker'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Nice! That's one of my bucket list guns.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:32 pm I try to pass that kind of thing on whenever I can.
You can always adopt Y2K for a day. :wink:
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Lookin good! Gotta have one of those someday.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks guys, to me a gun has to look somewhat good or i don`t have much interest in it and it sits in the safe, i will keep the old stock and if someone else gets the gun they can have it.
This stock is perfect for the gun and is more original than the other one even has the SA markings on it and is pleasing to the eye IMO.
I`m tickled pink about it and that`s what counts. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.