The new Ruger Marlins...Crazy Dealer Markups! $$$

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
577nitro
Levergunner

The new Ruger Marlins...Crazy Dealer Markups! $$$

Post by 577nitro »

Has anybody noticed the absolutely crazy prices the new marlins are being sold at? I thought, hey it's just wishful thinking on the dealers pricing on the sites, but nope people are actually bidding on them at those inflated prices....crazy! I've seen $3000.00+ FOR A MARLIN??? Maybe a sweet Win 1886 Grade 1 Fancy takedown... But a 1895G??

I'll buy another Henry Marlin knockoff for 800.00 thank you very much. BTW my Henry 45-70 shoots just fine, looks the Boss and is plenty strong.

Sheeze...

577Nitro
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The new Ruger Marlins...Crazy Dealer Markups! $$$

Post by Old Savage »

The more this happens the more the JMs will be worth I suppose.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:56 pm The more this happens the more the JMs will be worth I suppose.
As time goes on, the smart consumer will soon find these grossly inflated prices of these new Marlins will be the same as buying a Cadillac, concerning monetary value.......$80,000 this year........$40,000 next year......

I've noticed the term "JM" is now a prestigious adjective amongst the new crowd......price is always dictated by condition and rarity....there's millions and millions of "JM" Marlins out there......while a great gun, there's too many ever to get into or anywhere near into the same category of the "Pre-War" designation.

When prices rise on a mass produced product that was made in the millions, its only a quick bubble as people will dig in their closets to get grand pa's JM to capitalize and when the thirst is quenched by the populace, prices drop....-----006
Model A Uzi’s
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I think you're both right. I am quite satisfied with my old 35 Texan and am disinclined to pay 2-3 times its price it to get a reconstituted version, loaded with 'features' I've gone out of my way to avoid.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

People who have Tooooo much money don't care a bit. weather it's cars , trucks, boats or anything else. I watch the prices of old Browning Auto 5 shotguns , I see beat to death older A-5's that nobody wanted 10 years ago going for 1k now. most of the people buying common guns today at these high prices are in for a rude awakening . I watch people all summer at the local marina ,think nothing of putting $100,000 into a boat plus all the tackle and equipment to go walleye fishing. the numbers of people with big bucks real or borrowed never fails to amaze Me. I just watch.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I realize this is a "thread turn" but I don't think the overwhelming majority people are financially sound.... They put it on plastic to impress their buddies.

Americans are very materialistic and they want everyone in their circle to think they are millionaires and the banks will give it to them with the government's blessing......after all, if you have nothing, you have nothing to lose and if your in debt up to your butt, you will do as your told.......

Makes me wonder how many people who did not want to get the vaccine were financially sound.....not many.

My folks always taught me to buy what you only had money for....it was called "saving up" . Being a factory worker made me do exactly that.

People go on exotic vacations and put it on credit....who wants to pay for the hay after the horse ate it?

To you old heads, remember when you could buy the cheap version of a car or truck?...like my old '79 Ford pick up, rubber floors, no chrome, solid color, no radio, roll up windows, etc..now, everything complete with air conditioning, tilt wheel, navigation system, (huh? we used maps), sensors so you don't smash into the guy in front of you....ya know, you have to pay for all this S so the deeper you are in debt, the less you can speak your mind....and THAT, my fine friends, is why the government likes it....it keeps you quiet.

OK, lets get back to overpriced Marlins. :D ----006
Model A Uzi’s
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"My folks always taught me to buy what you only had money for....it was called 'saving up.' "
--SixGun

BINGO!I I attended the same school of thought.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The GOOD NEWS is that this to some degree reflects the fact that there are bunches of people out there who appreciate leverguns, and that is reflected in the price they are willing to pay for them.

Many are 'new' to leverguns (or guns in general), so may not be the most nuanced consumers, but at least there is interest.

That will drive some prices up, but the discerning levergun buyer will still get what he or she wants at a decent price for the most part.

Back when Marlin was making limited runs every few years, I wanted a stainless 357 Mag 1894, and paid $600 or so apiece to get TWO of them. I got two by 'mistake' due to having several bids open on Gunbroker, and two both came to the end near one another, and I chose the 'Buy Now' option but thought the first one had been sold out from under me so I bought the other one, then a few minutes later found out the first one was mine as well. No biggie though, and I really wanted a stainless 357 Mag. At the time that was a 'scalper' price, but I wanted them and nobody forced me to pay that much. For awhile after that they were available and cost less, then now they are scarce and valuable. Just 'market forces'.

Anyway - I'm just glad there is ongoing interest in leverguns. I think people realize they are "practically-tactical" and although I'd usually prefer the AR-15 or Mini-14 if a gang of two-legs were messing with me, in the more mundane ranch or farmstead situations, where it is going to be four-legs to deal with almost exclusively, those little 357 Mag leverguns are actually more practical.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Its not just prices of leverguns, just for the heck of it i looked at the going prices of Remington 572 & 552, over 600 for em! I have one of each and are probably 95% I might just list them and collect a huge windfall profit! Don't think I have 300 in both of them.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

It is good to see the Marlin brand back in production, but with all my rifle needs filled, I doubt I will ever own one. Ruger has a good reputation and should be able to make a go of the Marlin business. My Ruger 77 .338 Win Mag is a good solid, accurate, and dependable rifle and that bodes well for the future of Marlin.

The only Marlin I have ever owned is a 12 Ga pump made for Marlin by Manufrance. It actually was much like A Marlin. Decent looking, light, worked well, shot OK, and killed game. When I acquired Parker shotguns, the Marlin became my turkey gun. Then, when I created my perfect turkey scoped over under rifle/shotgun, the Marlin pump was retired to a back corned of a gun safe.
I did shoot a Marlin 30-30 once and found it accurate, light and handy, but no replacement for my scoped Pre 64 Model 70 .308 which is still my favorite centerfire rifle.

I bought my first Winchester with my paper route money and stayed with the brand. Most of my rifles are Winchesters, except for the .338 and two big bore double rifles. One of those was a 45-70 before it was recently upgraded to a 45-90 and I may do a post on that when the project is finally done. I have seen the regulation target (4 shots in one inch at 45 yards) and am eager to shoot the gun myself.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Today the March '22 American Rifleman came in the mail. There is a very good article about the "New Marlins" . One thing that caught My eye is that when Ruger took ownership and went to New York to start the move it took nearly 150 tractor trailer loads to get everything to Ruger . I hope they keep going. :D .
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:56 pm Its not just prices of leverguns, just for the heck of it i looked at the going prices of Remington 572 & 552, over 600 for em! I have one of each and are probably 95% I might just list them and collect a huge windfall profit! Don't think I have 300 in both of them.
how much for a 552? i have one my dad bought in 1979. a sweet rifle. can i sell it and buy a atv with the profit? ( that's one gun I won't sell!)
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Yep, what I have will just have to do me for now. I'm glad to see Ruger Marlins being built and distributed !
Like has been mentioned already, I too believe all of this incredible spending will change when the economy takes a dump again and all of the "stuff" hits the market at "reduced prices".
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am waiting and watching.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Fools will quickly be parted from their money. And those who find the prices dropping after this initial price gouging will feel pretty foolish having been stupid enough to pay inflated prices.
Of course there will always be those sellers who prey on idiots, so that part never changes.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I look for a recession in the near future after folks quit spending money on things they think are too overpriced. We will all have to buy the essentials but $1000.00 and up firearms are going to sit on the shelf.
Forty years ago I used to buy my reloading supplies for K's Sporting Goods in St. Louis and one day I asked the owner, Jack Klug, if he was going to pass the business down to his sons both of whom were college educated engineers. He told me he was going to close in a few years because the heyday of the firearms industry was over. He went on to say that if taken care of properly firearms can last several lifetimes therefore eliminating the need to purchase new ones every few years.

He closed the shop in the early 90's and retired and although he wasn't entirely correct I think the introduction of the plastic guns has ruined the sporting arms industry. Gone are the days of nice walnut and bluing.
I have all of the guns I need and don't plan on spending too much for what ultimately becomes a toy.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

elmo123 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:22 pm I look for a recession in the near future after folks quit spending money on things they think are too overpriced. We will all have to buy the essentials but $1000.00 and up firearms are going to sit on the shelf.
I might agree with you on firearms over $1000 that are worth far less than the asking price. But I disagree in general about firearms costing over $1000 being sold for less. I think many guns that are great guns, and well built, priced at over $1000 by their makers will still be selling. The ones that will sit on the shelf will be the new guns that sellers are marking up so high they're overpriced.
Collectible firearms worth over $1000 will hold their value. Guns like Shiloh Sharps, DZ Arms Hepburns, and other high end modern rifles will still be selling as fast as they can make them; as will old collectible arms. Great guns will always be desired by those who appreciate fine workmanship.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Been using this 'bubble' to downsize my collection and reap the rewards. Just turned 73 and wife has been at me for the last few years to get rid of some stuff. Bringing one or two at a time to my local dealer on consignment and we stick an ungodly price (we figure) on them and they are snatched up in a day or so - no questions asked! The new Ruger-Marlin 1895s at a suggested list if $1,400. will languish on the dealers racks once production is ramped up. The dollar is fast heading to the point of worthlessness. A candy bar at $2.00 ??? each, and I remember buying Hershey bars for a dime.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

65bee wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:25 am Been using this 'bubble' to downsize my collection and reap the rewards. Just turned 73 and wife has been at me for the last few years to get rid of some stuff. Bringing one or two at a time to my local dealer on consignment and we stick an ungodly price (we figure) on them and they are snatched up in a day or so - no questions asked! The new Ruger-Marlin 1895s at a suggested list if $1,400. will languish on the dealers racks once production is ramped up. The dollar is fast heading to the point of worthlessness. A candy bar at $2.00 ??? each, and I remember buying Hershey bars for a dime.
A Hershey bar in 1960 was .05 and with 60 years of inflation they are $1.50ish. That's about the normal inflation rate calculation.

Mortgage rates during the Carter years were about 17%. Even with the current inflation they are still under 5%.

Sports cards were worthless for the last 20-30 years. Now they're back in demand and bringing stupid money.

The point being......we all survived. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I may be a fool, but I ain't no' stinkin' idiot ... :lol: :lol: :lol: