Williams Foolproof on a Winchester 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Williams Foolproof on a Winchester 71

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

i am on my second Williams Foolproof receiver sight that has the same issue as the first. The ghost ring that the aperture screws into wobbles slightly for and aft slightly. It can change point of impact by 6-8 inches in height. Are they all like this? May try shimming it or something so it does not move but can still change the windage....
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: Williams Foolproof on a Winchester 71

Post by 1894cfan »

Do what I did with a Lyman receiver sight on a 1948 39a, take a business card and cut a little piece out of it and shove it under the bit that's moving. That ought to take care of the problem. HTH
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Try finding an all steel period correct Redfield oy Lyman peepsight.Older Lyman reloading manuals had sights in the last section. I found a collector here in eastern Pa that has many old but sometimes still new in the box Redfield sights. My Win 64 and Win 88 both wear Redfield's and never had ant trouble with them getting loose or moving.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For what it's worth, the models I've used on Marlin 336's, 1894's, and Winnie 92's and 94's all seemed pretty free of any excess wiggle. Odd that the Model 71 one would behave so differently. I'd be tempted to call Williams and ask about the issue.

The 'shim' fix makes sense though.

Perhaps a more permanent fix could be done if some area could be 'thickened' by stippling it with a punch.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Thanks for all the input. my Dad's 71 does have an old Redfield and I have other Redfield's and Lyman's on other guns. Love those old sights but have not stumbled across one for the new 71. Fixed the Williams with a piece of an .009 feeler gauge. That will do till I find an older Lyman or Redfield....