Replaced another one, S&W Model 66

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Replaced another one, S&W Model 66

Post by 2ndovc »

It's been a good couple of months. Last month I picked up a Russian SKS to replace one from my collection that was sold off when I was in the hospital a few years ago and not expected to come home again.

Today was a special one.
Way back in '94, a couple years out of college, just bought my first house, just married wife #1 and not a lot of $ to spend. I'd found a Model 66-2 in a pile of police trade in S&Ws for the monster price of $240! I took that thing everywhere and it ended up being my first carry piece when Ohio passed our CCW bill into law.
Almost didn't go to the show this morning, 17 degrees out and blowing snow at 30+ MPH and an hour plus drive. I always find something good at that show so off I went. I was all set to buy a nice S&W 681 police trade when i spotted the 66. When I first picked it up I was hoping it was my old one, but it turned out to be a 66-1. It's really dirty and the grips have to go, but it locks up like a bank vault and the SA trigger is maybe 4#!
Talked the guy down to $800 and ran off with a big old grin.
I was going to order the King Cobra this weekend, but the 66 will do just fine. :D

Russian SKS

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Replaced another one, S&W Model 66

Post by Grizz »

good scores. my 66 has a 4 inch barrel and the best SA trigger i've ever owned.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Very nice find indeed! I have a 66-2 4 inch that made its way into my occasional carry rotation.
Good luck with the S&W.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Cool score! Love 66's. Just went to a show and saw a new 3" Python for 1500 that was shiny. It was bigger than I figured. I have short barrels on the brain lately. A guy at the show had the biggest collection of SAA's I've ever seen lots of stag and ivory, must have been 50 or 60 guns. Not a model 92 anywhere, just one 86 refin for 3k :shock:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The 3" Python is on my short list for sure. My dad bought a 6" Python a couple of years ago and loves it. He's been talking about a 4" for the last few months.
I've always been a fan of the shorter barrels on revolvers.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I've. Got an 8" that I've I killed some turkeys with, but it mostly sits around being to long to carry much. I'd like a short barreled 44 special for pigs. Starting to get tired of heavy guns.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well done Jason! :mrgreen:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Very nice. One of my favorites.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have a S&W M19 that I received as a graduation present in 1984, it cost $230 NIB. I also bought a S&W 586 NIB for $240 in 1986, sadly I sold it later. It is hard to believe quality guns like that were so cheap. However, when you consider my current income compared to my income in 1984 and 1986, $800 is a bargain. Congratulations on a great buy!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice! I have a 4" 66-1 that I really like. I love the older Smiths, but not the prices they bring lately. I bought a 3" 629 last year. When I saw the original price tag on the box was $399.99, it sure made me cringe. :D

Enjoy your fine K-frame. One of the best revolvers ever made.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks again, guys!

I know the feeling about the prices of some firearms out there. Especially the good stuff.
Now I'm thinking I should have done this earlier. It's like having an old friend back home, even though it's not the same one.
The show wasn't far from where most of my stuff was sold and where I was able to get my Bowen back. That one still shocks me.
Not to be separated again until it's really that time.

jb 8)