Scott's 50 BMG blew up again!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Scott's 50 BMG blew up again!

Post by CowboyTutt »

He recreated his rifles destruction that was certainly not the rifles fault. Worth a good look. -Tutt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsw70VfSFFw
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: Scott's 50 BMG blew up again!

Post by 1894cfan »

That link is to a Fox News report on Ukraine!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sorry, I think I fixed it. I am 1st Generation Ukrainian American and watching everything I can. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Is he saying "slap round" "slop round", or ????? And, what does he mean by that?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thank Tutt.
It seems stronger than what I thought but it still looks like a Zip Gun to me.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

S.L.A.P round.....saboted light armor penetrator.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

If I recall, he said those rounds were from WWII!!!
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:24 pm Sorry, I think I fixed it. I am 1st Generation Ukrainian American and watching everything I can. -Tutt
Well so am I. Small world. :D

Mainehunter
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

He is so very fortunate to have survived that first accident.

Obviously those rounds are loaded way too hot and inconsistently.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I sure do not want to shoot them. Wow! That one he was injured by was overpressure by a long way. His deliberate overpressure round was scary. I am glad he took precautions.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

His idea of applying some oil at the back of the chamber to help extract the stuck cases actually helped cause them to stick even more! A cartridge and chamber need to be free of any oils, or it will increase rearward thrust and result in even more dangerous pressures exerted on the threaded cap. I expected the gun to come apart as soon as he said he added a little motor oil at the chamber to help.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I know, "arrogant me".......I wouldn't put a design like that in front of my face if it was chambered for factory 32-20's.

Seriously, looks like a joke.........it's almost like, "lets make this and see how many people fall for it"......where's the margin of error? Where's the extra wall of steel that protects from an overload?....those little "ears" on the side would and cannot protect the shooter if the cap goes over the "ears" as per his first blow up. A screw on cap that the engineeers mathematically figured an "x" amount of pressure would hold? ........

It's amazing that a design like this for a cartridge the size of the 50 BMG would even be legally passed for manufacture.

Looks like something Rossi would build.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I guess YouTube took down the video... :roll:
5729.jpeg
Probably too ‘gun-oriented’... :evil:

Now it's back up.... :?: :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Had a guy come to our gun club with a no name,(not a Rossi,Six, but who knows), 50 cal rifle. It was the replacement to the one he had shot one round through and cracked a weld on the receiver. I made him go to the last bench and I was far away when he shot. He and his friend shot about 40 rounds through it laughing like hyenas and were hurting when they finished. Their Harris bipod was all bent up. It wasn't made for a .50!
He came back months later with a suppressed Barrett .50 that had a reciprocating barrel. That one was nice!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Years ago I had a .50 Barrett. Nicely made gun (though I think these rounds would have messed it up) but I just could not find a good use for it.

There's just not much that the gun can be used for and I was always terrified that a stray bullet might hit some innocent person or livestock.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

If He keeps doing this kind of stuff sooner or later something will go REALLY wrong. on another video He spends a lot of time to blow up a 10ga single shot. I don't get it, but too each His own. How many other people will watch the videos and try this stuff.? I know some Guys who were building pipe bombs and invited Me out to the farm. I declined as I feel safe 20 miles away.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My guess is it was taken down because somebody thought it encouraged unsafe practices.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Its still there somewhere, I just found it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsw70VfSFFw

-Tutt

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jkbrea wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:24 pm Had a guy come to our gun club with a no name,(not a Rossi,Six, but who knows), 50 cal rifle. It was the replacement to the one he had shot one round through and cracked a weld on the receiver. I made him go to the last bench and I was far away when he shot. He and his friend shot about 40 rounds through it laughing like hyenas and were hurting when they finished. Their Harris bipod was all bent up. It wasn't made for a .50!
He came back months later with a suppressed Barrett .50 that had a reciprocating barrel. That one was nice!
Barrett KaBoom.jpg
Barretts evidently blow up too... :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRufSjBtJNE... :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:25 am Barrett KaBoom.jpg

Barretts evidently blow up too... :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRufSjBtJNE... :shock:
That's it! I'm never gonna shoot a .50 BMG rifle again!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Is there any cartridge /caliber made in the last 150 years which cannot be made to exlpode with an incorrect powder and/or an overcharge? 50BMG is just bigger than most. A . 30-06 or a . 30-30 can be charged with the wrong powder and cause ruptured steel.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:25 am Is there any cartridge /caliber made in the last 150 years which cannot be made to exlpode with an incorrect powder and/or an overcharge? 50BMG is just bigger than most. A . 30-06 or a . 30-30 can be charged with the wrong powder and cause ruptured steel.
Any rifle or pistol can be blown up.

Linebaugh 500 Maximum

Glock 40

Colt copy

S&W 329

Colt Bisley

Marlin

Uberti

https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/blowups.htm
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Forgot one Jim.....even 1886 Winchesters.....yea, I saw the "white light."--006

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:25 am Is there any cartridge /caliber made in the last 150 years which cannot be made to exlpode with an incorrect powder and/or an overcharge? 50BMG is just bigger than most. A . 30-06 or a . 30-30 can be charged with the wrong powder and cause ruptured steel.
Yep.

Hopefully a good design can mitigate some of the shrapnel and/or redirect the blast, but a bomb is still a bomb no matter what the logo says on the side, or how much it cost.

Some cartridges and designs are probably pretty safe though. I've got a bull-barrel 22 LR Ruger 77/22 that I'd have a hard time imagining "blowing up", although I've had a case rupture in it and bunches of crud spewed out. That's a pretty low-pressure round in an over-kill action design to some extent though. If either of the 50 BMG guns that guy blew up were chambered in 32-20 but had the same design otherwise, I doubt any powder at any amount would blow them up so completely, even if the bore were obstructed. (I'd still be behind the truck with a long cord like he used if I were testing that theory though...!)

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:27 pm Forgot one Jim.....even 1886 Winchesters.....yea, I saw the "white light."--006
Yessir. I remember that one. I was glad you came out ok .... and still am glad.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

No doubt that any gun can blow up.

But the catastrophic nature of what I saw on those videos, and the fact that there are such loads out there masquerading as something that they are not, makes me want to stay away from .50 BMGs.

I would still shoot a Ma Deuce if given another opportunity. I just don't need to be messing with a .50 BMG rifle of any manufacture.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I think the only one that hasn't blown up is a .22 rifle. I've seen them with bulges in the barrels where an obstruction was in the bore, but haven't seen or heard of one blowing up yet.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:37 pm I think the only one that hasn't blown up is a .22 rifle. I've seen them with bulges in the barrels where an obstruction was in the bore, but haven't seen or heard of one blowing up yet.
Right.......I don't know the math or physics behind explosions but common sense will tell me "the more explosive charge" in a cartridge, the bigger the boom there is going to be.

I once had this old Red Jacket suicide revolver in 32 rimfire that was pure junk so I emptied the black powder from a case and filled it with Bullseye......tied it to a fence post out back and pulled the trigger with a string.....just a small boom and the top three cylinders were gone.....I saved the revolver and got $100 for it at a gun buy back program. I paid $17 for it.....

Thread turn for amusement....I got a beat up old stock with some black powder receiver from the 1880's (j.u.n.k.) and a mossberg 12 ga barrel......duct taped it all together and got $100 for that one too. :D

Putting yourself behind a cartridge with over a couple of hundred grains of powder with a screw on cap is just ludicrous.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

If you look at the damage to both the Serbu and Barrett with the same over-charge at 190,000 PSI, the 3X the pressure MAP BMG load in the Serbu actually held up better than the Barrett. The Serbu design is primitive, I would agree. Scott's tests would show that its far stronger than the "auto mag" design of the Barrett. -Tutt

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

...so........I had the 'large print' on, and only small screen, so I couldn't see the whole post....

All I see is this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I once had this old Red Jacket suicide revolver in 32 rimfire that was pure junk so I emptied the black powder from a case and filled it with Bullseye......tied it to a fence post out back and pulled the trigger with a string.....just a small boom and the top three cylinders were gone.....I saved the revolver and got $100 for it at a gun buy back program. I paid $17 for it.....

Thread turn for amusement....I got a beat up old stock with some black powder receiver from the 1880's (j.u.n.k.) and a mossberg 12 ga barrel......duct taped it all together and got $100 for that one too. :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How many milliseconds do you guys think it took before I knew WHO posted it... :D

Sixer....we really should be neighbors....you have the same sadistic sense of humor.... :lol: :twisted:

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Doc...thanks for the compliment!..... :D ....no lie, over the years I bet I personally cashed in on at least $5,000 in gun buy backs.....I'd call first and see if there was a limit then three or four of us would drive to philly with 50-60 j.u.n.k.guns......most all early 1900's suicide specials that came in on customer trade in's that the dealer offered maybe $5 on.....

If there was no limit we each would have about 15 guns and would not talk to each other while we were in line....if there was a limit, we would just get back in line.....one time I was called out on it with the cop saying, "hey! You were already here" to which I would respond, "ok, no problem, I'll leave and sell em on the street then let the newspapers know." They took em everytime..... :D

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

He would greatly increase the strength of the screw on cap if he used square threads instead of typical peaked threads. Peaked threads do more to direct pressure sideways, instead of straight back, so once it reaches enough pressure to stretch the cap it simply strips the top off the threads and lets go. A square thread takes a huge amount more pressure to get to the same point of coming apart.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Stop throwing good sense into the conversation.
D. Brian Casady
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

MM93, it doesn't need square threads if the person shooting it, isn't shooting 'dime store" 50 BMG ammo of "unknown pedigree". The difference between regular 55K PSI 50 BMG and 190K PSI is simply ridiculous. It's WAY beyond a "proof load". That being said, if the square threads are not much more to manufacture, might be worthwhile. But then the weakest link in the chain will be something else. I would like to shoot a "Fifty" some day, but only with a reliable source of ammo and/or something hand loaded by someone I know who is a competent handloader. I would like to load it myself, but it requires very specialized equipment as you know. And I don't own a 50 BMG. I would probably settle for it's "little brother", the 416 Barrett here in Commiefornia. It has some amazing ballistics too. But thank you friend for posting. -Tutt

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:36 pm MM93, it doesn't need square threads if the person shooting it, isn't shooting 'dime store" 50 BMG ammo of "unknown pedigree". The difference between regular 55K PSI 50 BMG and 190K PSI is simply ridiculous. It's WAY beyond a "proof load". That being said, if the square threads are not much more to manufacture, might be worthwhile. But then the weakest link in the chain will be something else. I would like to shoot a "Fifty" some day, but only with a reliable source of ammo and/or something hand loaded by someone I know who is a competent handloader. I would like to load it myself, but it requires very specialized equipment as you know. And I don't own a 50 BMG. I would probably settle for it's "little brother", the 416 Barrett here in Commiefornia. It has some amazing ballistics too. But thank you friend for posting. -Tutt
I think the Marlin company went to squared threads on some of their models to strengthen them. Maybe the XLR's...???

As for the 50 BMG.... I'd rather go to the 20mm and its 600 grains of powder and 1,600 grain bullet at 3,300 fps :shock: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7gavxEMNOw - if I'm going to go 'special' (cuz then I could one-up the 50 BMG boys... :lol: )....but can't rationalize either. So I got a 338 Lapua single-shot 'upper' for an AR frame. Made by Zel. https://soldiersystems.net/2009/11/30/z ... er-lineup/

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:36 pm MM93, it doesn't need square threads if the person shooting it, isn't shooting 'dime store" 50 BMG ammo of "unknown pedigree". The difference between regular 55K PSI 50 BMG and 190K PSI is simply ridiculous. It's WAY beyond a "proof load". That being said, if the square threads are not much more to manufacture, might be worthwhile. But then the weakest link in the chain will be something else. I would like to shoot a "Fifty" some day, but only with a reliable source of ammo and/or something hand loaded by someone I know who is a competent handloader. I would like to load it myself, but it requires very specialized equipment as you know. And I don't own a 50 BMG. I would probably settle for it's "little brother", the 416 Barrett here in Commiefornia. It has some amazing ballistics too. But thank you friend for posting. -Tutt
It may not "need" square threads, but the increase in strength and safety would sure be much better with them. I never see any problem with building firearms stronger, especially when it's such a cheap and easy change to convert to cutting a different thread.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Serbu already over-built the gun to exceed any rational pressure limit. The difference between regular 55K PSI 50 BMG and 190K PSI is simply ridiculous. The load that destroyed the gun is 3.45 times the pressure it was designed for!!!!! Its absurd. Its crazy beyond all belief!!! They already over-built the gun. So your recommending they make it further idiot proof to what exactly??? Yes, the square threads are stronger. They were already stronger by a factor of 3.45. The manufacturer did its job. Its a strong gun. Square threads are stronger, but really, how, how strong do you have to make a gun to survive stupid people (Sorry Scott at Kentucky B. but really??) buying random ammo from suspect sources and then blame the gun manufacturer for not making the gun strong enough, to withstand, a load 4 times over what it was designed for? And then blame the manufacturer for not using "square threads"??? I cry complete and utter bullshit.

-Tutt

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Curious....what kind of powder would generate 190K?.....if this was factory ammo .....but bad factory ammo......it would have to be a deliberate mistake to change from a slow burning powder to a fast one....or maybe a dime sized chunk of C-4.....in other words, sabotage.

Even Bill Ruger filled the cylinder of his Ruger Old Army with Bullseye and it held together.....

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Six, I agree with you completely. Rather than shooting all of this ammo, he should have sent them out for dissection to figure out what was happening. As to the 190 psi loads, more information needed on how they did that. Also agreed! -Tutt

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Regardless of all of the factors we've discussed, I think the next time I get a chance to fire a 50 BMG.......I WILL flinch... :oops: :lol:

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Doc...ain't nothing special shooting a 50 BMG....the guns are heavy......you see a lot of muzzle flash and a whoosing sound......you want to shoot something that will leave a memory, just ask Tutt to shoot one of his hand cannons.......I shot a cylinder full of 460 S&W out,of a long barreled Smith and I never want to do it again....Tutt does it with 3" barrels!

Everyone is different on how they handle recoil and those big guns leave me with a flinch that lasts about a month.......

Yea Tutt.....be interesting to see what's inside one of those......I took apart a few of the 50's and even a 20 mm.....very coarse grained powder ....unmistakable---00

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

CowboyTutt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:13 pm Serbu already over-built the gun to exceed any rational pressure limit. The difference between regular 55K PSI 50 BMG and 190K PSI is simply ridiculous. The load that destroyed the gun is 3.45 times the pressure it was designed for!!!!! Its absurd. Its crazy beyond all belief!!! They already over-built the gun. So your recommending they make it further idiot proof to what exactly??? Yes, the square threads are stronger. They were already stronger by a factor of 3.45. The manufacturer did its job. Its a strong gun. Square threads are stronger, but really, how, how strong do you have to make a gun to survive stupid people (Sorry Scott at Kentucky B. but really??) buying random ammo from suspect sources and then blame the gun manufacturer for not making the gun strong enough, to withstand, a load 4 times over what it was designed for? And then blame the manufacturer for not using "square threads"??? I cry complete and utter bullshit.

-Tutt
I'm not blaming the maker for the blow up. Even the guy doing the video blames the ammo. I'm simply stating a fact that square threads would be better, and not cost a cent more to build. Why wouldn't a maker do something better if the cost was no different?