Assault by Deer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Assault by Deer

Post by octagon »

In a small town outside of San Antone, a woman looked out the window one morning to find an Axis buck in her garden again. She heads out the door and grabs a switch to confront the hungry interloper. Now, an Axis buck gets pretty big with maturity and can go 300 lbs or so on the hoof I'd say. There are 3 herds of Axis around, two are just out of town, (one herd of 80-90 live at my place) and one herd lives in town and are not so skittish as the out of towners. As the woman approaches the buck with a switch, she is upset and as a result has over estimated her super power abilities to deal with an animal 3 times her weight class. The deer is unimpressed, however, and stabs her quickly in the abdomen with his prodigious headgear. Screaming, the woman falls down while the gallant neighbor comes running with his deer rifle, dispatching the trespassing assailant...

By the time the cops show up, the victim (the human victim) and the guy with the rifle are shouting, arguing just WHO is gonna collect the guilty and executed deer for purposes of consumption, giving no thought to the fact that you can't shoot, much less hunt in town...Ya gotta love Texas!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Assault by Deer

Post by .45colt »

When I was a kid I was surrounded by a beautiful Farm, they sold eggs and produce and somehow were given an Axis Deer. they kept the deer in a fenced pasture near the road close to the barnyard. all summer it brought people in by the droves to see the deer. Rudy was good for business. One day in the fall the Farmer made the mistake of getting on the wrong side of the fence and that deer nearly killed Him. He was lucky to be alive . the antlers really did a job on Him. so much for a pet deer.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hopefully the cops took it or told them to split it! ;)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

They do make some excellent table fare. If I lived in Texas I could do without any other kind of red meat.
NRA Life Member
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have heard wonderful things about the quality of Axis venison. Have looked into doe cull hunts in West Texas/the Hill Country just for meat.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bill, that sounds like fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I culled a knob horned Axis buck and we cooked it side by side with some whitetail steaks. No one could tell the difference. Raw Axis meat has larger fibers in the meat, it is darker red, but looks and tastes very similar when cooked meaning Bbq. I brine either about 30 or 40 minutes in saltwater first.
An Axis doe, being more muscular, will rear up on her hind legs and run off a whitetail buck off some feed or grass. They also bark just like a small dog to sound the alarm. Axis deer can process and thrive on dry grasses that will starve a whitetail. They are bigger than most Texas deer and breed all year round, and you'll see all stages of antler development all year long. They do not tolerate real cold weather as well as whitetails. You can hunt em al year round and at night as well.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:41 pm I have heard wonderful things about the quality of Axis venison. Have looked into doe cull hunts in West Texas/the Hill Country just for meat.
I just returned from such a hunt. 5 of us harvested 25 animals in 5 days. The freezer is full!
I have video from my Sightmark Wraith digital scope I was hunting with. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post it in a new thread.
NRA Life Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I would have to say that the neighbor was not hunting in town. Shooting? Yes.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

TedH wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:49 pm They do make some excellent table fare. If I lived in Texas I could do without any other kind of red meat.
According to the late great John Wooters , axis , blackbuck and nilgai were the three best exotic animals as table fair . Can’t say I’ve tried any of the three but I sure like the venison from a Sika stag or hind . But it must be noted all the Sika I’ve done in were truely wild as they were initially turned loose in MD and VA a hundred years ago .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !