50-100-450 twist rate questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

50-100-450 twist rate questions

Post by Walker »

Hey Guys, can you point me to anything that would explain how fast a 450gr barnes original or similar bullet could expect to be driven in a barrel with 1 in 36" twist? I know that Winchester originally started with a 1 in 48" twist for the 50-100-450 and later changed it but I'd like to understand the reasoning.
Thanks, Terry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 50-100-450 twist rate questions

Post by AJMD429 »

There is a Greenhill formula and some other modifications of it, I think maybe Dell, that purport to predict what was rates are necessary for a given bullet and velocity, or what velocity will be required for a given bullet and twist rate, or what bullet weight will be possible for a given velocity and twist.

Glen Fryxell on the LosAngeles Silhouette Club site has some articles on the topic, with particular relevance to Big Bore rifles.

Judging from my own limited experience and the more extensive experience of other form members here, it seems like there are quite a few exceptions when it comes to predicting bullet stability as related to twist rate. Some of it may be due to the fact that the center of gravity may shift forward or rearward depending on the presence of things like hollow points or gas checks that we really don't usually take into consideration.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 50-100-450 twist rate questions

Post by Walker »

Thanks Doc, I'll dig those up.