Seeking Savage 1899 Expert Help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
collector444
Levergunner

Seeking Savage 1899 Expert Help

Post by collector444 »

Hi all !
I'm a new member and thank you for having me.
I just picked up an 1899 in 30-30 at a gun show because it seemed very unique.
It has a straight grip rather than a pistol grip, outside of a tiny chip in the butt stock, the stock and forend appear to be in nearly perfect condition, it has a correct blued lever for a straight grip stock as opposed to a case hardened one, a perfectly fitted chrome plated butt plate with a brass trap door, the stock is hollowed out as if something was stored in it, the barrel appears to be 26", and overall, the rifle is what I would say 98%.
The brass cartridge rotator / counter is still as new shiny brass and the chrome on the bolt was still 100% as new shiny chrome.
The interior of the receiver was clean and like new.
Zero tarnishing anywhere to be found.
I went to clean the bore and found it perfectly clean and looking like it had never been fired. No frosting to speak of and perfect crisp rifling with sharp lands and grooves.
The "30-30" was marked on the top of the barrel and appeared hand stamped as the serial number was.
The barrel did have all the correct roll stamped Savage Arms and patent info in the right places.
I dated it to 1903 based on the serial number and have contacted the Cody museum to have it lettered as I had never come across an 1899 with those features and in this condition.
My questions are:
Does anyone here know if Savage offer the options of the rifle's features as listed, is it even possible this sat in someone's safe for 119 years and never been fired, or is it more likely that the previous owner tore this down to the nuts and bolts, completely refinished everything, and reassembled it ? If that's the case, kudos to them as the rifle is nearly mint.
I really didn't think anything of it until I closely inspected it and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Thank you in advance for any help.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Seeking Savage 1899 Expert Help

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire and congratulations on a great find.. :mrgreen: sorry I can't answer your questions.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome to the fire!
While I'm certainly no Savage expert, those here that are will undoubtedly want pictures.
So will the rest of us. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

As mentioned, pictures (especially good quality ones that show detail) are a big help in analyzing a firearm's originality if it's not in hand.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

AmBraCol wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:32 pm As mentioned, pictures (especially good quality ones that show detail) are a big help in analyzing a firearm's originality if it's not in hand.
I agree, I just haven't taken any yet.

I will and then will post them.

Thank you !
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

The most 99 experts I've found yet are on www.24hourcampfire.com's "Savage Collectors" forum. Pretty civil lot, too. So try them if you don't get answers here. I'm not much use for that--I love 99s but only know how to kill stuff with them....
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

All the levers on the 1899s were case-hardened with the exception of special order nickel plating. The only factory-blued levers I am aware of were on late 99Cs from approximately SN B400000 stating about 1974. If the lever is blued, that is a clear tell that it has been refinished.

I have not seen a butt plate like you describe.

A 26" round barrel with crescent butt would be a model 1899A. Full octagon 26" 1899B, 1/2 Octagon 26" 1899C. There was an option for shotgun butt.

If all original, the butt (wood), back of butt plate and the forearm wil be staped with the same serial number as the receiver.

I would expect the SN of a 1903 to be between 37.801-46.000

Have seen 3 versions of the barrel addresses use during the 1903 serial number range. In the early range of 1903 the barrel address would include "CAL .30" at the end of the 2nd line of the barrel address and 30-30 on the rear of the barrel on the top. Later in 1903 the barrrel address dropped the CAL. 30 and only the 30-30 was stamped on top of the rear of the barrel.

That hollowed-out stock sounds like it might be from a model 1899H feather weight (which came with a 20" barrel); introduced in 1906. That is the only model that came with a hollowed out stock. Does it look like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

KeithNyst wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:49 pm All the levers on the 1899s were case-hardened with the exception of special order nickel plating. The only factory-blued levers I am aware of were on late 99Cs from approximately SN B400000 stating about 1974. If the lever is blued, that is a clear tell that it has been refinished.

A 26" round barrel with crescent butt would be a model 1899A. Full octagon 26" 1899B, 1/2 Octagon 26" 1899C. There was an option for shotgun butt.

If all original, the butt (wood), back of butt plate and the forearm wil be staped with the same serial number as the receiver.

Have seen 3 versions of the barrel addresses use during the 1903 serial number range. In the early range of 1903 the barrel address would include "CAL .30" at the end of the 2nd line of the barrel address and 30-30 on the rear of the barrel on the top. Later in 1903 the barrrel address dropped the CAL. 30 and only the 30-30 was stamped on top of the rear of the barrel.

That hollowed-out stock sounds like it might be from a model 1899H feather weight (which came with a 20" barrel); introduced in 1906. That is the only model that came with a hollowed out stock. Does it look like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

Some more pictures
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

collector444 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:50 pm
KeithNyst wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:49 pm All the levers on the 1899s were case-hardened with the exception of special order nickel plating. The only factory-blued levers I am aware of were on late 99Cs from approximately SN B400000 stating about 1974. If the lever is blued, that is a clear tell that it has been refinished.

By the pictures, it appears to be an early range one as it is stamped cal .30 as you mentioned.
I didn't take a picture of it, but it the forend is definitely stamped matching to receiver as is the butt plate itself both receiver serial number and butt plate as pictured. The stock itself has no markings at all. This is getting curiouser and curiouser
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

99-19.jpeg
99-18.jpeg
How the stock is hollowed out
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

It is a Model 1899A. I date it to 1902. A SN near yours, 37.7xx, lettered to being accepted to the warehouse 12/23/1902 and shipped 12/23/1902.

The hollowing of the stock and the trap door addition on the butt plate are not original.

I believe it has been refinished, but very nicely done. The receiver really looks like the factory mirrored blue finish, but I'm sure the lever was originally case-hardened; I am not 100% sure, but I believe the butt plates were also case-hardened. It would be worth posting over on the 24 hour campfire's, Savage Collectors forum for additional opinions.

It's nicely done, and a very nice rifle.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I believe it has been refinished, but very well done. It's a keeper. The lever being blue is one indication the other is the wood finish. Whether they used boil linseed oil or a varnish blend there will be some discoloration over time. The wood looks too perfect. But I would be very happy owning that rifle. Great find!
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

Thank you !

I figured it had to be refinished for a 119 year old rifle to be in the condition this is in.
I was very excited to find this and I can't wait for the Cody museum letter to find out a little more.
I will post this on the other forum as soon as I can.
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Looking forward to find out what you hear back from Cody.

One other thing I noticed. Compare the condition of the screw on the butt plate to the condition of the buttplate ... another indication that the butt plate was reblued.
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

KeithNyst wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:24 pm Looking forward to find out what you hear back from Cody.

One other thing I noticed. Compare the condition of the screw on the butt plate to the condition of the buttplate ... another indication that the butt plate was reblued.
I will share what I find out.
I'm thinking the butt plate was custom ordered.

Why bother stamping the right serial number on an aftermarket butt stock plates ?
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

I think it is the original butt plate, but someone modified it to add that trap door after it left the factory.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Refinished...no doubt...color and polishing is off. Even a like new one from that era will age with time....yours it's new looking......Levers were all color case hardened until very late in production and then only on a special edition or two...maybe the 1895 or that .308 speciality...

The trapdoor was gunsmith/home made....no doubt.......holes are off round in the buttstock...Savage had jigs set up and everything was perfect. The rivets on the trapdoor are brass and pounded with a punch or hammer and are unsymmetrical.....All of the major manufacturers made their work perfect with machined punches. It can be seen in the picture where it was cut.

You still have a nice rifle..enjoy it for what it is. I have a 30-30 from that era but mine is earlier with an 18,836 serial number and is Caliber marked Savage 30....At the time no manufacturer wanted to put another manufacturers name on their rifle but this one caused confusion amount regular hunters as some thought it was the .303.

This half rd/oct 30-30 is from 1901....note the caliber marking

A like new one from 1910...compare and you/i.postimg.cc]https://i./IMG-1127.jpg[/img]
https:/
Last edited by Sixgun on Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

Thank you !
I suspected that no matter how well a safe queen was cared for, brass and chrome would tarnish.
I found it interesting that the butt plate would have the serial number stamped into it.
Whoever refurbished it did a fantastic job and clearly spent time and money to do it.
The question now is how long ago did it happen.
I wish I had more information.
Thank you again and very nice rifles you have !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I concur with Keith's thinking that the buttplate is indeed the original, and modified after it left the factory by a owner or gunsmith. The bolt of course is not chromed, but is the typical bare metal bolt used on the Savage 1899. The stock hollowed with two holes isn't what Savage did, which adds to it likely not being done at the factory.
The restoration isn't bad at all, except for missing the lever and buttplate color case hardening. Easily fixed if you wanted it to be. Al Springer at Snowy Mountain Restorations could color case both very reasonably.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:17 pm I concur with Keith's thinking that the buttplate is indeed the original, and modified after it left the factory by a owner or gunsmith. The bolt of course is not chromed, but is the typical bare metal bolt used on the Savage 1899. The stock hollowed with two holes isn't what Savage did, which adds to it likely not being done at the factory.
The restoration isn't bad at all, except for missing the lever and buttplate color case hardening. Easily fixed if you wanted it to be. Al Springer at Snowy Mountain Restorations could color case both very reasonably.
Do you have their contact info ?
I would love to get it to 100% original.
I'm assuming then that the only thing that was replaced was the butt stock.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

collector444 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:27 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:17 pm I concur with Keith's thinking that the buttplate is indeed the original, and modified after it left the factory by a owner or gunsmith. The bolt of course is not chromed, but is the typical bare metal bolt used on the Savage 1899. The stock hollowed with two holes isn't what Savage did, which adds to it likely not being done at the factory.
Al is a wonderful guy, and has quick turnaround on color case work. Especially so on small parts he'll put in with parts he's already doing. And if you use some naval jelly or rust remover to strip the bluing first, and hit the lever and buttplate with some 400 grit to prep it, he'll toss them right in, and they'll be back to you in probably 2-3 weeks.
Here's his info:

http://smbgunrestorations.com/

Give him a call and talk to him, as he's a great guy and can give you an idea of cost. I know it will be nice looking, and reasonable pricing. Tell him Vall sent you.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What a great rifle and caliber. Enjoy it, shoot it and take it to the woods ! Hope the previous owner was able to have a few good outings with before it got moth balled. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:36 pm
Al is a wonderful guy, and has quick turnaround on color case work. Especially so on small parts he'll put in with parts he's already doing. And if you use some naval jelly or rust remover to strip the bluing first, and hit the lever and buttplate with some 400 grit to prep it, he'll toss them right in, and they'll be back to you in probably 2-3 weeks.
Here's his info:

Give him a call and talk to him, as he's a great guy and can give you an idea of cost. I know it will be nice looking, and reasonable pricing. Tell him Vall sent you.
Thank you for that ! I will reach out to him after I get the letter from the Cody museum.
I'm still baffled why if someone was going to go through all those lengths to do a restoration, why the would not hollow out the stock properly for the correct butt plate or case harden where needed.
Either way, someone spent a lot of time stripping this one down, polishing the brass to brand new shine, refinishing the wood very nicely, etc... An amazing job IMHO...
When the museum letter gets to me, I'll now far more about it.

Thank you again!
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Collector, I'm very glad you posted and shared the pix, questions, and answers here! And a 26" .30-30 should be a real pleasure to shoot, not to mention a reliable killer of anything that needs killin'!
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

Mike Armstrong wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:53 pm Collector, I'm very glad you posted and shared the pix, questions, and answers here! And a 26" .30-30 should be a real pleasure to shoot, not to mention a reliable killer of anything that needs killin'!
Thank you for that !

I might take her to the range... Maybe !

Not sure I want to disturb the sheer perfection !

Definitely not going to take her into the woods.

She's way too pretty ! 😂
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

collector444 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:58 pm
Thank you for that ! I will reach out to him after I get the letter from the Cody museum.
I'm still baffled why if someone was going to go through all those lengths to do a restoration, why the would not hollow out the stock properly for the correct butt plate or case harden where needed.
Either way, someone spent a lot of time stripping this one down, polishing the brass to brand new shine, refinishing the wood very nicely, etc... An amazing job IMHO...

Thank you again!
It always baffles me too, but I've seen numerous restorations of old guns where they blued parts that were supposed to be color cased, and yet got the rest done nicely. My own theory is some gunsmiths don't like to send out parts for color case, but can't do it themselves. So they just blue it all, and most customers don't know or care.
I've bought numerous old guns that were all blued, and then removed the parts that were wrongly blued, and sent them to Al for color case. This Schoyen Ballard Schuetzen rifle was one of them:

KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

The stock (wood) could be original (with the exception of those big holes that were drilled in it). The large holes drilled into the back to hollow it out likely removed the stamped serial number that was located on it. Here's an example of the stamping on an 1899B produced in 1899.
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:03 pm
collector444 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:58 pm

Thank you again!
It always baffles me too, but I've seen numerous restorations of old guns where they blued parts that were supposed to be color cased, and yet got the rest done nicely. My own theory is some gunsmiths don't like to send out parts for color case, but can't do it themselves. So they just blue it all, and most customers don't know or care.
I've bought numerous old guns that were all blued, and then removed the parts that were wrongly blued, and sent them to Al for color case. This Schoyen Ballard Schuetzen rifle was one of them:

That is one heck of a gorgeous Ballard !
I've always wanted one but the bank account said nope !

I will likely spend some time getting the lever and butt plate corrected.
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

KeithNyst wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:02 pm The stock (wood) could be original (with the exception of those big holes that were drilled in it). The large holes drilled into the back to hollow it out likely removed the stamped serial number that was located on it. Here's an example of the stamping on an 1899B produced in 1899.
So where might Savage have stamped one that was factory hollowed ?

There had to be a point of that trap door assuming it's factory.

Thank you !
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

collector444 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:22 pm
KeithNyst wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:02 pm The stock (wood) could be original (with the exception of those big holes that were drilled in it). The large holes drilled into the back to hollow it out likely removed the stamped serial number that was located on it. Here's an example of the stamping on an 1899B produced in 1899.

Thank you !
That hollowing is definitely not factory; it is too crudely done. The only model that was hollowed out was the model 1899H, and that model did not beg on until 1909. I have post an example of that models stock earlier above which also shows the stamp on it.
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

KeithNyst wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:31 pm
collector444 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:22 pm

Thank you !
That hollowing is definitely not factory; it is too crudely done. The only model that was hollowed out was the model 1899H, and that model did not beg on until 1909. I have post an example of that models stock earlier above which also shows the stamp on it.

Ok.
I'll try with my glasses on ! 😎
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The hollow on most buttplates was for a cleaning rod set. The rods were segmented, and the buttstock usually was a large enough hole for the segments, plus a couple brushes. Marlin did these as a special order in late 1800's, but they bought the buttplates from Whitney when they were still around. The buttplates had a sliding brass "door" similar to what Winchester leverguns had. If they're factory on a Marlin the buttplate and buttstock are both serial numbered. I own one of the Marlin Model 1893's with rare Whitney sliding trapdoor buttplate.

This also happened to be the very first Marlin I ever bought about 4 decades ago.
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:19 pm The hollow on most buttplates was for a cleaning rod set. The rods were segmented, and the buttstock usually was a large enough hole for the segments, plus a couple brushes. Marlin did these as a special order in late 1800's, but they bought the buttplates from Whitney when they were still around. The buttplates had a sliding brass "door" similar to what Winchester leverguns had. If they're factory on a Marlin the buttplate and buttstock are both serial numbered. I own one of the Marlin Model 1893's with rare Whitney sliding trapdoor buttplate.

This also happened to be the very first Marlin I ever bought about 4 decades ago.
Very nice find !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

collector444 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:11 am
marlinman93 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:19 pm The hollow on most buttplates was for a cleaning rod set. The rods were segmented, and the buttstock usually was a large enough hole for the segments, plus a couple brushes. Marlin did these as a special order in late 1800's, but they bought the buttplates from Whitney when they were still around. The buttplates had a sliding brass "door" similar to what Winchester leverguns had. If they're factory on a Marlin the buttplate and buttstock are both serial numbered. I own one of the Marlin Model 1893's with rare Whitney sliding trapdoor buttplate.

Very nice find !
Funny thing about this rifle. For years I assumed, (and was told by others) that the gun had been modified with a Winchester buttplate. But I compared measurements with a Win. trapdoor buttplate for a '73 or '76 and they didn't match up. Then after owning the rifle for a couple decades or more I was at a gun show in Kansas City where the Marlin Collectors Assn. was meeting, and a guy had an 1893 on his display with the exact same buttplate on it! I mentioned I had one "modified" the same way and he laughed. He told me about the Whitney connection, and told me to check for the serial number also. So it went from being modified and value diminished, to being a pretty rare option once I found the serial number on it.
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:44 am
collector444 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:11 am

Very nice find !
Funny thing about this rifle. For years I assumed, (and was told by others) that the gun had been modified with a Winchester buttplate. But I compared measurements with a Win. trapdoor buttplate for a '73 or '76 and they didn't match up. Then after owning the rifle for a couple decades or more I was at a gun show in Kansas City where the Marlin Collectors Assn. was meeting, and a guy had an 1893 on his display with the exact same buttplate on it! I mentioned I had one "modified" the same way and he laughed. He told me about the Whitney connection, and told me to check for the serial number also. So it went from being modified and value diminished, to being a pretty rare option once I found the serial number on it.
I'm kind of hoping that when the Cody letter arrives I'll find that mine was actually requested as is by the original buyer.
I'm ok with a full restoration and I'll send the lever and butt plate out for case coloring.
Worst case and the stock was replaced and not hollowed properly, I'll live with it.
All told, it's a beautifully done restoration and I'm pleased with my find !
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

collector444 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:33 am
I'm kind of hoping that when the Cody letter arrives I'll find that mine was actually requested as is by the original buyer.
I'm ok with a full restoration and I'll send the lever and butt plate out for case coloring.
Worst case and the stock was replaced and not hollowed properly, I'll live with it.
And at the end of the day - that's what counts. You've found a beautiful rifle and are happy with it. It'll be nice to find out how it left the factory, but if you like it "as is" or decide to restore it to its former glory, that's what counts. Thanks for sharing it with us. We look forward to hearing from Cody as well. 8)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

I finally disassembled this to send the lever and butt plate off to Al.... and now we wait !
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

AmBraCol wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:47 am
collector444 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:33 am
And at the end of the day - that's what counts. You've found a beautiful rifle and are happy with it. It'll be nice to find out how it left the factory, but if you like it "as is" or decide to restore it to its former glory, that's what counts. Thanks for sharing it with us. We look forward to hearing from Cody as well. 8)
Cody was disappointing to say the least.
They did letter it to date of order and delivery, but no further information was available.
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:36 pm
Here's his info:

Finally took it apart and got the parts of to Al. I mentioned you and he spoke very highly of you right away !
Super nice guy !
He is supposed to be doing them today or tomorrow, so once the parts are returned and at this point, I'm hoping I can reassemble the rifle... LOL !
Once completed, I will post the final restored pictures....
Thank you for that recommendation !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Glad it's going to Al Springer! You wont be sorry with his workmanship, or his pricing. He's the best in my opinion.
collector444
Levergunner

Post by collector444 »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:33 am Glad it's going to Al Springer! You wont be sorry with his workmanship, or his pricing. He's the best in my opinion.
I'm very much looking forward to getting this back together.

It really is a nice 1899 and someone loved it enough to do what they did, so I'm just finishing it the right way...

Can't wait to get it back together... I've never disassembled one to this point, so I'm hoping I can get it back together !! LOL !