Model 92 in 480 Ruger

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Model 92 in 480 Ruger

Post by Bearskinner »

Just picked up a Rossi SS 480 Ruger lever gun from an older friend who is thinning the herd. Haven’t shot it, with the weather in the teens today, but it has a very handy feel. I like the tube fed, plus side load capabilities. Fortunately he included lots of ammo and components. There’s just something about revolver/lever gun combos I really like.
Just wondering if anyone has one, and how you like yours.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Model 92 in 480 Ruger

Post by Trailboss »

Bearskinner,

I've owned and carried a Rossi 480R for a few years now. Shot multiple black bear, multiple deer and a mountain lion. All went down quickly with the bullet passing clean through but leaving a decent sized hole. I feel confident that the 480 will take any game on the American Continent with room to spare. Mine loves the Ranch Dog cast bullets which weigh 390 grains. Today, I only shoot handloads.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Piller has one and shot water buffalo with it. You should reach out to him.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i think there was only a 100 of those made in 480. i have a stainless and a blue one.

my favorite load is Jeff Quinn's load:

barnes XPB 275 gr with 30.8 gr H110. gives about 1800 fps and nearly 2000 fpe . it is fun to shoot. i believe it would do the job on most things.
cable
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

As to the Model 92, I like my 454 Casull version in terms of ergonomics and reliability and so far durability (only a few hundred rounds).

As to the 480 Ruger cartridge, I would expect it to be really nice, and perhaps more sensible in terms of not pushing chamber pressure limits.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like the 410 grain LBT style bullets over IMR 4227 for accuracy in mine. A water buffalo is the only critter I ever got the bullets to stay in.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:56 pm .

As to the Model 92, I like my 454 Casull version in terms of ergonomics and reliability and so far durability (only a few hundred rounds).

As to the 480 Ruger cartridge, I would expect it to be really nice, and perhaps more sensible in terms of not pushing chamber pressure limits.
since I believe excess is best, I also have the 454 carbine and have had it a lot longer, and I like it as well
cable
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Owned an original pre-Taurus, pre-safety, Amadeo Rossi 92 in 454 Casull. Several things I liked about this gun: 1) no silly pig tail safety on top of the bolt 2) had BOTH tube loading (like a Henry) and a loading gate (like a Winchester) on the receiver 3) light to carry 4) handy 20" carbine barrel 5) accurate with hard cast bullets 5) went well with my Ruger Super Redhawk revolver in 454 Casull.
I confess that I never loaded ammo for the levergun top end as I had misgivings about top end 454 Casull pressures and the legacy Win 92 action.
Unfortunately my eyes and iron sights don't get along at all any more and this gun really doesn't look good with a modern optic stuck on top.
The saga ended when somebody else fell in love with the gun at first sight, made me an offer I couldn't refuse and it got sold. :cry:
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nothing wrong with giving a gun a chance to continue being used when we are starting to get too old.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

I got a few boxes of factory ammo with it, and was a little surprised that they were all 325 grain bullets. I cast 350’s and 380/400 HP/solid combo bullets, I want to try. Some fun to look forward to, once I can walk thru the more than knee deep snow on my range.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

if any of you fellas ever interested in selling I will pay good money, send my first born son, possibly my dog. :lol: I was pretty close to getting a bolt action done on one but gunsmithing costs on a mauser turned out to be a little more than planned.
Last edited by mickbr on Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Bearskinner wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:30 am I got a few boxes of factory ammo with it, and was a little surprised that they were all 325 grain bullets. I cast 350’s and 380/400 HP/solid combo bullets, I want to try. Some fun to look forward to, once I can walk thru the more than knee deep snow on my range.
I must have at least 16 boxes of factory ammo, Speer and Hornady, all 275 grain or 325 grain. I don't think I've seen any other bullet weight. Aside from Buffalo Bore I'm not sure if any heavier factory loads are available. My cast 480s are 390 grain and are very accurate and their about the only ones I reload.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

There was a 400 grain XTP as well in factory ammo. 1100fps at muzzle and 1027fps at 50 yards on the box. I remember wondering if it would still expand at those speeds.