The other end of the resolver spectrum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

The other end of the resolver spectrum

Post by AmBraCol »

Way back towards the end of the 20th Century there were a couple of sites dedicated to the sixgun and the users thereof. Sixguns.com and Sixgunner.com came along when I was needing to find a break from the pressures of crosscultural ministry and many an hour was spent reading what JimT and JT and crew had to say about sixguns and sixgunning in general. There was, of course, a lot of talk of the 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh, 500 Linebaugh along with hot loaded "Ruger Only" 45 Colts and of course the almost ubiquitous 44 Magnum. But not everything requires a 250 - 500 grain chunk of lead and although it is exhilarating, the recoil of the heavy loaded big bores has its downside as well. Caz gave me my first taste of the 475 Linebaugh. I was visiting NW OR and we met with other likeminded folk out at a range Rob Applegate had setup. Caz dug some cartridges out of a box of Hornady 475 Linebaugh that was setting in the sun, slipped them into the chambers of his Gary Reeder custom resolver and for some reason that escapes me now I shot them over a chronograph. Since I had been reading the forums and the above mentioned web sites, I expected the earth to shake and the recoil to rip my hands off the bloody stubs of my wrists, or at least bury the front sight into my thick boned skull. So I hung on tight, squeezed of the shot carefully and thought "That wasn't so bad after all!". But the chronograph told the real story - contrary to what usually happens, the recorded velocity far exceeded the usually optimistic claims on the box. I'll have to ask Caz as the exact figures escape me, but the sun soaked ammo had definitely increased the pressure and velocity of those loads.

But, I digress. Sort of. I started off to write about a life long fascination with compact revolvers in "anemic" calibers. Back during some troubled times one of the missionaries up in the north of Brazil urged my uncle to accept a little 32 SWL revolver for self defense purposes, which he eventually did. That pistol was never "fired in anger", nor, I believe, was it ever even reached for in a time of stress. But it was there and I found it intriguing. The cartridges being larger than the ubiquitous 22 LR gave it added appeal, but we never got to shoot it much due to the high cost of ammunition and my uncle didn't have a loading setup for it.

One of the kids we grew up with was a couple years older and he got his hands on a little snub nosed Rossi 22. He considered that he was "armed to the teeth" and was proud as punch of that little bit of iron. He let me shoot it once and I found it less than stellar in performance, being about on par with if not below the accuracy of my inaccurate little Rossi double barreled derringer.

Reading one of Jim Kjelgaard's books lead me to consider the utility of a small revolver in a small caliber as a thing to be desired. Talking with my dad I found he thought the same, having settled on a 4" roughly K frame sized sixgun as "ideal". He always wanted a K22, but settled for a Taurus that one of the elders in the church needed to sell to raise some needed funds for something. Once my wife and I moved back south I got to use that pistol a bit and one like it that a neighbor had. Very handy indeed, but reloading 22 LR is a bit tedious and since we had no source for proper projectiles, accuracy was lacking.

So while the concept of a compact "kit gun" or "pocket pistol" remains intriguing, I've found myself drawn more to the centerfire variety. The old calibers may be frowned on by those who consider anything that doesn't start with a 4 or more in the caliber to be too anemic for serious consideration, but there's a lot to be said of the old, short, S&W's and their more recent "Long" or "Special" versions. The downside to them, of course, is the dearth of new guns in the old calibers. Sure, you can pick up a new 32 H&R Magnum or 327 Federal Magnum, but they have a LOT more steel in them than the old "lemon squeezers" and I-frames or Owl Heads and their ilk. Compared to a 7 1/2" 44 Magnum a little Single Seven is "compact, lithe and easy in the hand", but compared to the older guns the Magnum class of 32's are heavy boat anchors.

A fellow Shootist recently shared some pics of a couple of I-frame 32's on another forum and I was reminded of the fact that it's been too long since I had a compact, reloadable little "knock around" woods gun.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Re: The other end of the resolver spectrum

Post by Sarge »

I really enjoyed reading that. When I was a kid (late 60's) we had a junk store in which had a gun case hidden way in the back. The upright section was loaded with old, oddball long guns and it had a drawer with 10-12 old handguns inside, half of which were owl heads and other top breaks. Cool stuff to 13 year old boys.

One of my grown cousins had a nickel S&W top break 38 he inherited from his Dad. Later that summer I got to handle and shoot it. We set up an old 5 gallon pail, walked back a few steps and cut down in it. It was loud (real men didn't wear earplugs then) and smelled funny when you lit it off. but I hit that bucket 3 out of 5 and thought I was Matt Dillon. I have always sorta wanted one.
Last edited by Sarge on Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I too have always had a fondness for small revolvers, Westley Richards had a store room with all sorts of "treasure" I was drawn to those little top breaks, they seemed to be so easy to carry thus being there if you needed it rather than the cannon you left at home.
Due to our draconian gun laws I now only have a couple of antique revolvers in .32 rimfire.
IMG_20180424_235954.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

While I was in gun smith school , early 90s one of my classmates, John Gallagher (rip) began to make big bore Rugers. He was cutting down 348 cases and running heavy 458 bullets. Not a terrible recoil level but certainly a big revolver. We were chewing the fat about a small frame and what could be fit. John and I decided to do a 44 special on a small frame so I bought a Ruger Single Six 32. Of course before any work began I had to burn a box of 32 long up. Then we made the new cylinder, removed the barrel, new 4&3/4" barrel, some filing ,fitting and I had myself a compact 5 shot 44 special 'fishing vest gun' as far as I know John didn't make anymore 44 Single six's after he hung out his shingle.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I always thought it would be interesting if somebody made little revolvers in 25 caliber or 30 caliber.

Or a Ruger SP101 in 32-20 - not light by old standards but is si by today's.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I hurt my hand really badly with a .500 Linebaugh. Kinda hate to admit that.

These days I shoot a lot more pedestrian rounds.

Last night I loaded up my first reloads for the .327 Federal cartridge, and even that I am not trying to push too hard. Starting with 110 gr MBW LBTGC bullets over 10 gr of 2400.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Paul, a great topic. And you mentioned Caz and Rob Applegate, both of whom I emailed with and neither of who I ever met, even though I lived in Oregon. I hope they are both well. Seems Rob relocated to northeast Oregon last I heard.
As to the small revolver, I have long thought a modern five-shot breakopen in .38 S&W loaded with the British "Manstopper" bullet would be an admirably lithe companion.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:35 am I hurt my hand really badly with a .500 Linebaugh. Kinda hate to admit that.

These days I shoot a lot more pedestrian rounds.

Last night I loaded up my first reloads for the .327 Federal cartridge, and even that I am not trying to push too hard. Starting with 110 gr MBW LBTGC bullets over 10 gr of 2400.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:35 am .
I always thought it would be interesting if somebody made little revolvers in 25 caliber or 30 caliber.

I've wanted (hypothetically at least) a Single Six in 25 ACP for a good many years now. Why? Why not? A 25-20 in a Single Six sized package would be nice, but don't know if it'd fit (need to look up OAL and SS cylinder length - but not today). Keith though highly of the old 25 rimfire round, but it never caught on like the 22's have. Another caliber that's intrigued me for years is the old Velodog cartridge. I used to have one in my collection and have contemplated it often. A good use for the new 30 Super round might be a single action woods bumming gun. A lot of projectiles available, and molds of all sorts could be used to produce interesting fodder. Rimless 30 caliber case in a single action, as long as you keep to the right case length, would make a handy small game getter. Of course, you've got pretty close to the same thing in the 32's.

I've never cared for the factory front sight, but one of these would make a dandy woods bumming gun. The 32 SWL is a very handy, potentially accurate cartridge when loaded properly.
tom-richardson-32Long.jpg
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:51 am Paul, a great topic. And you mentioned Caz and Rob Applegate, both of whom I emailed with and neither of who I ever met, even though I lived in Oregon. I hope they are both well. Seems Rob relocated to northeast Oregon last I heard.
As to the small revolver, I have long thought a modern five-shot breakopen in .38 S&W loaded with the British "Manstopper" bullet would be an admirably lithe companion.
The last I heard, Rob is around Prineville somewhere. Caz is still just west of Salem.

The 380/200 load has long intrigued me as well.
Paul - in Pereira

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Looking good, Scott. I can't for the life of me remember what I loaded up last summer. Mostly 32 SWL, but thanks to the guys here I was able to source a few 32 H&R and 327 Magnum cases and loaded them up with... 115 grain cast IIRC. Nothing too exotic or hot, as the shooter will be my wife and she'll get more use out of the lower velocity "plinking" loads than she would out of any "barn burners". :D I'm still waiting on my backorder of Starline 327 brass. 12 months and counting... Sure wish Mic's special run of brass had materialized. I put in a request even though we didn't have the revolver yet, just on the theory that it'd "be handy one day".
Paul - in Pereira

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I was unaware of the special run and maybe we should revisit this.

I’m having a lot of fun shooting .32 Long which is really accurate. My point of aim was the thorn at the center of the group.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

When you look at my thumb on the stock of this Single Seven you realize just how small this gun is.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I have a postwar S&W 32 long I frame that is a handy small gun, very accurate and while not a "manstopper" per se, it will certainly due the job with good bullet placement, it did the job for the NYC police back in Teddy Roosevelt days. A limiting factor is the old round nose lead bullets, a decent bullet with a flat metplate , or Buffalo Bores wadcutter would up the ante pretty good.

But it's light, small, carries easy, with little recoil, and has a following with many people for a knock around "woods" gun, and I certainly wouldn't want one shooting at me!...lol
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have a lust for a short barrelled 460 or 500. I only shoot mid weight bullets at 700-900fps. Or even round balls out of a 500 snubby
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I don't know if it counts but I just remembered this little Bulldog that was given to me by a Chinese actress ( that's another story) unfortunately it only fires .22 crimpt blanks but it is a 10 shot... :lol:
IMG_20220127_175550.jpg
Click to enlarge image.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cute. :D

When I was in high school I had a little Colt Police Positive in ,32 NP or S&W Long. That little bullet just kinda splattered when it hit something.
I traded it for an Enfield No2 MkI in .38/200, though in those days about all I could find was .38 S&W. Replaced that one with a British proofed Colt .38/200. Need to load up some of the heavy bullets I found for that one.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

32 Mag
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Does anyone remember the "9mm Federal"? I believe Charter arms was the only company to make a revolver for it.
I think it was simply a hot loaded .38 short Colt. An interesting concept.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A woods-walking gun caliber should depend on the "woods" you're walking in. Here in black bear and cougar country, I do believe that a .357, or my G30 .45acp would be about as light as I'd care to get. The G30 gets the nod if only for its greater round capacity.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've been wanting an SP101 in .32 WCF for a long time.
Unfortunately I don't want to spend the money to have one special made for me. I settled for a Buckeye with both cylinders, but I still want that double action I can shoot HV rounds out of.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

vancelw wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:18 pm

Unfortunately I don't want to spend the money to have one special made for me. I settled for a Buckeye with both cylinders, but I still want that double action I can shoot HV rounds out of.
I'll bet you could pick up an SP101 in .32 H&R mag or .327 Federal and have it rechambered without much difficutly or expense.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

32 S&W, 32 N.P.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Blaine wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:18 pm A woods-walking gun caliber should depend on the "woods" you're walking in. Here in black bear and cougar country, I do believe that a .357, or my G30 .45acp would be about as light as I'd care to get. The G30 gets the nod if only for its greater round capacity.
It's been a looong while since I walked the woods up north with only one pistol. The OMSS goes along when deer hunting, along with a 45 Colt or 44 Spl. Shucks, it must be the Missouri water where I was born, but 3 or 4 pistols and ammo usually get packed along when I'm in the woods up there. :D
Paul - in Pereira

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Old Savage wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:10 pm 32 S&W, 32 N.P.
That's a likely looking little pocket popper, Fred.
Paul - in Pereira

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:34 pmI'll bet you could pick up an SP101 in .32 H&R mag or .327 Federal and have it rechambered without much difficutly or expense.
I did the same thing and have the Buckeye Conversion but really would like the littler sp101.... and I thought the same thing about getting one rechambered...

...just one more 'someday' project... < sigh > ... :)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ive never owned a revolver more powerful than a 44 magnum and in the last 20 years 44 mags don't get anymore powder than 10 gr. of Unique with a 250 Lyman.......I never could understand the need for a 300 grain bullet in any of the big bores.

The deer I've shot with revolvers were 44 Spl's and 44 mags, loaded 1100 in the Spl's and 1200 in the mags...none went more than 20 yards.

Large powerful revolvers are meant for big game....I've shot them all and hand the gun back after a cylinder full....like zero enjoyment....it's all bravado.....same thing with rifles.....anything more than an '06 is just not fun to shoot.....my favorite play rifle is a 32-20 '92 and a '85 low wall Winchester single shot.

I usually take a small revolver when I'm out back as I don't want the cops showing up....neighbors are tolerable to a reasonable amount of low noise guns......

The single Six in 32 mag is probably the best out of all of them as it will handle a 71 gr cast at 600 fps or a 115 cast at 900 or so.

My favorite back yard guns.

Single Six in 32 mag, Smith 32-20 built in 1906, Smith DA break open 32 short built in 1882 and a Colt police Positive in 38 S&W built in 1921.....2.5 grains of Bullseye and a 150 cast is beer can accurate to 50 yards easily and 100 off the bench.

Last edited by Sixgun on Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:34 pm

I'll bet you could pick up an SP101 in .32 H&R mag or .327 Federal and have it rechambered without much difficutly or expense.
I don't believe so.
The smiths I've talked to say they need a new 5-shot cylinder. I have an SP101 in .327 that I bought with that in mind, but so far, quotes have been steep.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

vancelw wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:56 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:34 pm

I don't believe so.
The smiths I've talked to say they need a new 5-shot cylinder. I have an SP101 in .327 that I bought with that in mind, but so far, quotes have been steep.
Rim size kicks in and interferes...
Paul - in Pereira