Reloading 22 Magnums

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Reloading 22 Magnums

Post by elmo123 »

Does anyone have any experience reloading the 22 Magnum?
JimT
Shootist

Re: Reloading 22 Magnums

Post by JimT »

I have the kit to reload .22 Magnums. I haven't done it yet. Been reloading .22 Long Rifles. There's a few posts about what I have done along with photos. I have cast .22 bullets for the .22 Magnums and have about 40 cases prepped. I have not mixed up the priming compound. I have quite a few primed .22 Long Rifle cases and am having fun with those. So far I have pushed the 40 gr. cast bullet over 1400 fps from my 6 1/2" Single Six.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

Thanks.
I ordered the kit for the magnum and I have some 35 grain V-max bullets that fit in the case. I plan on using LilGun.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

elmo123 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:43 pm Thanks.
I ordered the kit for the magnum and I have some 35 grain V-max bullets that fit in the case. I plan on using LilGun.
I have had the best results with Bullseye.
I will be interested what results you get with Lil' Gun. It did not work well in the .22 LR loads.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

If you haven't ordered it yet, don't forget to order the sizer die also. Comes with the shell holder.
I haven't reloaded them per say, got a bunch of boxes of Win Dyna Points that leaded up my bores pretty good, so got the 22 mag kit along with the sizer die and started pulling the bullets and replace with Speer 22cal 46gr spfn and crimped in the cannelure. The Hornady 45gr XTPs would be a better choice, but were unobtainium at the time. Used a Lee universal expander die to just barely bump out the case mouth to accept the base of the bullet. Used the single small expander to expand the case and both expanders with the large one first to seat the bullets. Need to adjust for each use. BTW, the 45gr Dyna Points were loaded with 3.4gr of ball powder, FYI. HTH
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I did order the sizer die and made a tool to scrape the crud out of the rim. I have a cannelure tool so I can place a crimping groove on my bullets and I am going to try spinning the case after putting the primer compound inside the case and see if that fill the rim.

I am doing this mostly out of needing a new challenge I will keep you posted.

Mike
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

A scraping tool already comes with the rimfire kits, both LR and WMRF.
I hear you about needing a new challenge. That's why I got into downloading 223 and 300blk. 4gr Trail Boss in 223 with 55gr bullets and 5gr in 300blk with 147/150 bullets. Have fun.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

Update:

I finally finished the first batch of cartridges, whew what a time intensive process but an interesting one.

First for those of you contemplating making primers out of strike anywhere matches don't waste your time. There is not enough of the mixture on the tip to work.
The priming mixture from 22reloaders works pretty good.

I tried several bullets 35 grain V-Max .224 and a 45 grain sp .222 diameter. I had to placed a cannelure on both and seat them with a seating die I made out of an old .223 die.

As far as powder goes the Lilgun was a failure and bullets from both test rounds just made it to the end of the barrel but did not exit. I can only assume that the priming mixture is not hot enough to ignite it properly. I tried some Bullseye and it worked pretty good almost driving both bullets through a 3 inch block of lead.
I plan on going to the range on Monday so I will be able to report on how accurate the loads are.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Lil' Gun is too slow to work properly. I had previously tried it and gotten the same results. They made it to the target but you could see them go. Out of my 6 1/2" Single Six they did probably about 300 fps. So far for me Bullseye has given the best results.