Bought a Remington 760 today. Don't know much about them

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Bought a Remington 760 today. Don't know much about them

Post by 2ndovc »

Went to a show in Bowling Green, OH today. Busy show, but a lot of empty tables too. I've been on a mission to find some brass for grandpa's Model 70 and found 40 rounds of new .250 Savage brass this morning. :D
As I was wandering around, one of the regulars was marking down price tags and I noticed this 760 in .30-'06 was dropped down to $450. He had two magazines and a scope mount with it, so I brought it home for $400. I thought it would make a nice knock about '06 for that price.
Got it home and cleaned up a bit. I was going to leave it with the open sights, but with the comb on the stock, it just didn't feel right. I've had an old Weaver K4 that my other grandfather gave me probably thirty years ago that's bounced around to several different rifles. I put it on the 760 and it looks and feels like it just belongs there.

Anyway, here's my questions;
When was it made and what is it really worth? The Blue Book is kind of useless these days with all the fluctuations and panic buying.
Looking around GB the one's listed are all wood stocked rifles and carbines and starting around $8-900!
It's more curiosity than anything else. So far, I'm pretty taken with how nicely it functions and looks.
If it shoots, it stays. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bought a Remington 760 today. Don't know much about them

Post by GunnyMack »

A 7600 in 06 was the very first rifle I bought. Was a pretty good shooter. But boy did that hard plastic butt hurt. I had a recoil pad put on it and when I went to pick it up another guy at the shop talked me out of it, never got to try it out. What he paid me and a bit more cash and I walked out with a 700 in 06.

As for value, ya got me but I think you got a good deal !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

On the left side of the barrel next to the chamber there is a date close that will tell you what month and year it was made.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Left side of the barrel is a EO and a larger B.
Where can I look that up?

elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

Remington Society has the dates on their website, Looks like 10/77
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!
Thank you!

Gunny,

Betting you're right about the recoil, it doesn't weigh much. Can't be worse than an Enfield Jungle Carbine though. I hope the guy that thought up that goofy but pad that's hard as a rock was flogged!

jb 8)

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

The stocks are definitely not original to your rifle. They look like Remington OEM stocks for the 7600 though.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

One of my shooting pards has one stocked in the same plastic, but his has been bobbed to 16". It's a handy little flamethrower, though the recoil does start to get old pretty quick.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Amish Machine Gun

;)
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

A good candidate be rebored to .35 Whelen.

They are notorious for the barrel not being level with the receiver. The sights are on the barrel, so they shoot fine with iron sights.
But if you scope it, look for rings or bases that will give you some extra elevation in case you need it.

At one time I would have thought $400 was top dollar doe one, but I recently sold my dad's early '60s, very worn, far from perfect 760 with a plum patina for $450. :shock:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks for the info guys!

I had a feeling the stocks weren't original after poking around on the internet a bit.

Vance,

I was thinking last night that this one might be a good candidate for a little custom work since it's not really a collectible or original.
Going to see how it shoots before I do anything, but i see that Boyd's makes stock sets for it. Having the barrel shortened to 18" was a thought as well.

Looking forward to shooting it and the weather cooperating just a little bit. January stinks in Norther Ohio!

jb 8)

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awwww come on now Jason !!! whats the matter is it toooooo cold over on the west side?? if there was more snow like we have here it would be a lot warmer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
In '75 I bought a 760 BDL , took it to Canada and killed a Deer with it. it was a good shooter with the iron sights but turned out to be a safe Queen so it went down the road.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

.45colt wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:11 am Awwww come on now Jason !!! whats the matter is it toooooo cold over on the west side?? if there was more snow like we have here it would be a lot warmer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
In '75 I bought a 760 BDL , took it to Canada and killed a Deer with it. it was a good shooter with the iron sights but turned out to be a safe Queen so it went down the road.
Funny guy! :D :D

I used to work outdoors year round up into my 30s and the cold never bothered me. Now, I don't go out to do much unless it at least above freezing. My hands just don't work as well as they used to in the cold. As soon as we hit a sunny day 35 degrees or better, I'll get out and shoot a bit.

The 760 is the first pump action I've ever had. Thought it would be fun a play around with.
Spent some time down in the reloading room this morning, looking through my hand loads. Everything from 120 0to 220 grain loads so I'm pretty set. I don't think I've ever had a box of factory ammo. The first centerfire my dad gave me is a Remington 1903a3 and the first Winchester I ever bought is a Model 95 .30-06 SRC. Probably started reloading it when I was about 15 or so.

jb 8)

elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I have had a 1953 760 in 30-06 for over 30 years and it is used mostly with cast bullets. It is as accurate as a 700 in 06 that I had years ago. I have also been fortunate to fire 760's and 7600's in several calibers, 257 Roberts, 7mm-08, 6mm Remington and 300 Savage all were very accurate. The newer 7mm-08 had a problem with feeding from the magazine and my friend sold it off.

Mine is not drilled or tapped for scope mounts and I did replace the factory stock with a large frame 870 walnut stock that I fitted to the smaller frame 760.

I liked it so much I bought a 572 rimfire to go with the 760 and my 870TC. You can't beat the older Remingtons.

You will enjoy it.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks again for all the info. The more I read about the rifle, the more interested in it I get.

One chambered in .257 Roberts would be really interesting.

jb 8)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The 760/7600 is wildly popular up here. Especially in the carbine variant. Even to the point of many having custom work done. I've seen more than a few rifles cut to carbines, especially in .308 and 35 Whelen. Most here are simply fitted with a sling and peep sight. They are the preferred rifle of many in the still hunting and tracking crowd.
Since the demise of Remington, the carbines have been bringing insane prices.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

They are pretty common in NW Pennsylvania too. I've seen more than a few guys toting them around during deer season. They aren't as common in OH since we were limited to slug guns for decades. Straight walled cartridges are now allowed, jacked up the pistol cal. lever actions and 45-70s, etc. for quite awhile.

jb 8)

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

always wanted one of those,,,,,
then agaiin...i'd like to have a lot old remington firearms.
870's
1100's
760's
700',
etc
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I had the semi auto version in a 742 Carbine version in .308. It was quickly traded, the 18" barrel was horrible for accuracy with any bullet. I would shoot it first and see how it holds 4" off a barrel is not enough for me to sacrifice accuracy. My FIL has the 7400 in 30-06 and it shoots cloverleafs.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

My brother just got a Rem 742 Woodsmaster in 30-06 22" barrel. I checked the code it's made in 72. In good shape, obviously just hunted, but filthy inside, which I consider better! He brought it to me said it's mine, we just hand one another guns all our lives. Only thing wrong is the buttplate & whiteline spacer partially broken off and gone . I've already located a buttplate, but the spacer appears to be hard to find, I think I'll just make one. These have always been popular hunting rifles around here, and I'm hoping with the 22" barrel it's accurate? Nikon Buckmasters scope on it, he got it for $500.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!