Marlin marauder 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lucher
Levergunner

Marlin marauder 30-30

Post by Lucher »

I bought a Marlin 3030 at a pawnshop recently as I was invited on my first boar hunt and didn’t have a rifle. Upon further inspection and research it seem I might have stumbled on a 1964 Marlin marauder 3030. Does anyone know the price these are going for ? Thanks in advance
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Marlin marauder 30-30

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire Lucher... :D the 16.25 barreled Marauder was only made for two years so I would assume there is an interest from Marlin collectors.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

That's a holy grail gun for modern Marlin collectors!
I've never saw one in person.
Get it if you can!
Johnny
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

I'm drooling just thinking of one. I've got my fingers crossed for you. Some of the 336 Texans from the 80's have 18.5 inch bbls, so barrel length and serial number lookup would be key identifiers.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Did the Marlin Marauder have a "Marauder only" serial number prefix?

A few years ago, one was at a local gun shop and the dealers said it was a fake as it did not have the Y,Z, or W prefix. According to him a few others the barrel was cut down to either 16.25" or 16.50", but did not have the right serial number prefix.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Ray Newman wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:46 am Did the Marlin Marauder have a "Marauder only" serial number prefix?

A few years ago, one was at a local gun shop and the dealers said it was a fake as it did not have the Y,Z, or W prefix. According to him a few others the barrel was cut down to either 16.25" or 16.50", but did not have the right serial number prefix.
No, they were numbered with all the other 336's. The letter prefix in the serial numbers gives the year of manufacture. W prefix indicates 1962 manufacture, X was not used, Y= 1963, Z= 1964. There are plenty of homemade Marauders out there via hacksaw, and I've read that Numrich sold off excess 16.25 inch Marlin bbls.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Oldncrusty wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:23 pm
Ray Newman wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:46 am Did the Marlin Marauder have a "Marauder only" serial number prefix?

No, they were numbered with all the other 336's. The letter prefix in the serial numbers gives the year of manufacture. W prefix indicates 1962 manufacture, X was not used, Y= 1963, Z= 1964. There are plenty of homemade Marauders out there via hacksaw, and I've read that Numrich sold off excess 16.25 inch Marlin bbls.
For several years Numrich sold Marauder "kits" including barrel, mag tube and forearm.