1894 Buttstock Assembly

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fnbrowning
Levergunner

1894 Buttstock Assembly

Post by fnbrowning »

Rifle: 1894C .357, 2005 manufacture.

I'm making the Marlin over in tactical black, with a black painted buttstock. I want to save my nice checkered straight grip OEM walnut stock. So I'd like to find an old or used buttstock or failing that I'd buy a plain OEM replacement if it wasn't too expensive.

I've tried the majors like Numrich, Wild West, MGW, others. Now I'm down to asking if somebody knows somebody that's got the thing on a dusty shelf.

Any ideas?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 1894 Buttstock Assembly

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just another thought, look at Boydes, take a gander at the laminated stocks. These are very tough, durable and fairly inexpensive. Of course they do add some weight.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

fnbrowning wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:32 pm Rifle: 1894C .357, 2005 manufacture.

I'm making the Marlin over in tactical black, with a black painted buttstock. I want to save my nice checkered straight grip OEM walnut stock. So I'd like to find an old or used buttstock or failing that I'd buy a plain OEM replacement if it wasn't too expensive.

I've tried the majors like Numrich, Wild West, MGW, others. Now I'm down to asking if somebody knows somebody that's got the thing on a dusty shelf.

Any ideas?
Just to confirm -- you need the buttstock for a Marlin 1894?

I think I have one that is plain, not checkered... Also have the forearm too.

Once you confirm, I'll PM you with more info.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
fnbrowning
Levergunner

Post by fnbrowning »

Old No7 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:25 am
fnbrowning wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:32 pm Rifle: 1894C .357, 2005 manufacture.

Any ideas?
Just to confirm -- you need the buttstock for a Marlin 1894?

I think I have one that is plain, not checkered... Also have the forearm too.

Once you confirm, I'll PM you with more info.

Old No7
Yes Sir. Buttstock for the Marlin 2005 manufacture1894C .357. Stock looks exactly like this image here https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/6792 ... 33-new.jpg
Confirm, I do not need checkering. In fact, I would prefer a plain one.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Gun Stocks Inc. makes a nice stock that doesn't take much work to final fit, and prices are very reasonable at under $60.

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/P ... tocks.html
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:08 am Just another thought, look at Boydes, take a gander at the laminated stocks. These are very tough, durable and fairly inexpensive. Of course they do add some weight.
If you are going tactical the laminated stocks are tough as nails and you can hollow out the stock some to save weight.

Another option is to reach out to Wild West Guns (in Las Vegas or in Alaska) as they have put together some fiberglas stocks that will stand up to severe punishment.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

fnbrowning wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 am Yes Sir. Buttstock for the Marlin 2005 manufacture1894C .357. Stock looks exactly like this image here https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/6792 ... 33-new.jpg
OK, I'll check this weekend -- as I'm swamped here at work and have family plans this evening...

I'd been planning on selling this anyhow, and I'd like to see a forum member get it.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
fnbrowning
Levergunner

Post by fnbrowning »

Old No7 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:35 pm
fnbrowning wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 am Yes Sir. Buttstock for the Marlin 2005 manufacture1894C .357. Stock looks exactly like this image here https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/6792 ... 33-new.jpg
OK, I'll check this weekend -- as I'm swamped here at work and have family plans this evening...

I'd been planning on selling this anyhow, and I'd like to see a forum member get it.

Old No7
Very well then. I will await your contact.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

fnbrowning wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:15 pm
Old No7 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:35 pm

Old No7
Very well then. I will await your contact.
OK -- I got one for you! It IS checkered, but it's perfect for your project.

It came on my 1894 Cowboy 357 -- someone had cut the stock 2" short (for a kid) -- and then they refinished it, and later they glued it back together after the kid grew up some. The glue line is a perfect straight line (see the image below) and it is rock solid (and smooth on the joint) -- so once you paint it, you will never know it had been cut. But I'll bet you can see why I wanted to replace it........... :wink:

The only news is I got that Marlin Cowboy for a LOW price due to that stock. 8)

See image below, and I will dump it for a LOW price to you -- how about $45 shipped for both pieces ? ! ?

PM me if you are interested in this. Thanks!

Old No7

( Click on image to enlarge it )
Marlin 1894 stock set.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fnbrowning
Levergunner

Post by fnbrowning »

Old No7 came through with a stock set that I can use.

Thanks for everyone's help! :D