Carry change-up

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Carry change-up

Post by OldWin »

Winter sees less moving around in public in my part of the world. Still back and forth to work 3 days a week, dump runs, local trips to the store. Usually more time working up to the hunting property till snow gets too deep. Riding the sled and ice fishing.
My normal carry is my Colt LW Commander, my full size Springfield, or my old 66.
I gave my last snubby to my dad. My wife has a 442 and a flat latch 36, but she keeps close tabs on em. :D
I've had this NIB Colt Detective Special for over 20 years. I decided a couple weeks ago it was kind of a waste. Wasn't going to sell it, so I should get some use out of it. The action is so smooth it feels broken. I wondered if it would shoot..... ? I put 100 rounds through it last week and it didn't disappoint. Wow! I've always been able to shoot a J-frame pretty well, but this thing is fantastic! Shouldn't have waited so long. :D
When I turned 18, my dad gave me a piece of paper. I looked at it and it was a concealed carry permit! It was issue dated 3 days BEFORE my 18th birthday. Things were pretty informal here back then. Even less so now, I suppose. We have constitutional carry now, but not at 18 I guess. :D
Anyway, back then I had a pretty small collection of handguns. I had a 1939 S/42 Luger, a Colt New Frontier .22, and a brand new Smith and Wesson 6" 629 my dad bought me for graduation. Not a lot of carry options for a skinny 18 yo. I scraped up some cash and bought a little Armi Galesi .32 auto. It wasn't much, and i didn't have it long, but it got me used to carrying on the mean streets. They weren't very mean back then. :roll:
This past fall a good friend of my dad's passed away and his widow gave me this nice 4th model Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless and a Parker 20ga. The little 1903 had a much better reputation than my old Armi Galesi by far. While the .32 ACP is considered basically useless today, it was very popular back in the day. In doing some reading on the subject, it seems its performance is better than its recent reputation. I'm going to rattle the dust of this old codger and give it a whirl for old times sake.

If my posts stop, you'll know it didn't work out. :D
Last edited by OldWin on Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Carry change-up

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What beautiful pair. The .32 auto is like the 22 mag, it performs way above what its ballistics indicate. Look forward to range report.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's the impression I got also, 3leg.
It's just such a neat little pistol. Makes me want to try it. I've never shot a 1903, but they have a great reputation for accuracy and reliability.
Being a JMB gun, how bad can it be? :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Will you use FMJ or Hollow Points/Soft Points in the .32? I've heard the arguments for both and curious what others think.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I like that little Dragnet Colt and the Colt '03. The 20 gauge Parker is a bucket list gun...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I will most likely use FMJ. From what I've read, Fiocchi and Sellier and Bellot are the fastest by a fair amount. I have some Fiocchi on the way.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Nice
I’ve been carrying 1930 ish 7.62 x 25 tt33 . So there seems to be to power levels of military ammo for these, one for machine pistols and one for the handgun. With the 85gr bullets you have 1300 ish and 15-1600 on the other. These are guesstimate, I have some of the hotter rounds for when I carry it but when I target practice it gets the lower velocity, less wear and tear on the old pistol.

Guess I should look more closely, gun has 1953 stamped in the frame.
Last edited by harry on Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:45 am I like that little Dragnet Colt and the Colt '03. The 20 gauge Parker is a bucket list gun...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I gotta say, the little Detective Special has been nice. I got a Bianchi IWB holster for it and have been packing it for a couple weeks. I really like it.
I'm wearing the 1903 right now while doing chores around the place. I can see why it was so popular.
I haven't shot the Parker. I'm not a big shotgun guy, but it is incredibly light and fast handling.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

harry wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:49 am Nice
I’ve been carrying 1930 ish 7.62 x 25 tt33 . So there seems to be to power levels of military ammo for these, one for machine pistols and one for the handgun. With the 85gr bullets you have 1300 ish and 15-1600 on the other. These are guesstimate, I have some of the hotter rounds for when I carry it but when I target practice it gets the lower velocity, less wear and tear on the old pistol.
That's pretty fast!
The Fiocchi 32acp is 1000fps for a 73gr ball. The S&B is around 1050.
If I lived in Detroit, I probably wouldn't be using it, but seeing as I live in the safest state in the US, I'll most likely be ok. :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Great stuff!

Love the Colt's. I had a Detective Special when I was in College, way before concealed carry laws in OH. Usually kept it in my car, until several in the lot were broken into. I guess they didn't care about the old, beat up '76 Cutlass.
I traded it and some cash for my first '95, so I guess I did ok. Wouldn't mind having another one. My dad has several US and British Proofed '03s. Amazing what those are worth these days.

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

OldWin wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:52 am
gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:45 am I like that little Dragnet Colt and the Colt '03. The 20 gauge Parker is a bucket list gun...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I gotta say, the little Detective Special has been nice. I got a Bianchi IWB holster for it and have been packing it for a couple weeks. I really like it.
I'm wearing the 1903 right now while doing chores around the place. I can see why it was so popular.
I haven't shot the Parker. I'm not a big shotgun guy, but it is incredibly light and fast handling.
I been carrying a Ruger LCR off and on for awhile. Shoots great but is nowhere as nice looking as your DS or a model 36.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

TT33
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Tokarevs are pretty tough pistols. I have a pair of Yugoslavian M57s that got through with out the import "safety". Both are pretty good shooters. My dad has three or four WWII Russian pistols and a Chinese gun that he had worked over for a carry/ trail gun.

That cartridge is a screamer! I have dies and components for it, just haven't gotten around it yet.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've never shot a Tokarev. Should have bought one when they and the ammo was dirt cheap.
Saw a video the other day where Ken Hackathorn was saying how much he liked them and shoots them quite a bit.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Neat thing about the TT33 is how snappy the rounds are and how incredibly slim and concealable the pistol is.
Like the other fellas said, nice Colts and a lovely Parker.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I like your collection of carry hardware! I really like the grips on your Springfield.
Are they real horn grips or the plastic imitation grips?
I found a really comfortable Bianchi #5BHL holster for my 4-inch S&W 66-2.
I think I'll incorporate it into my carry rotation. At least winter carry.
Your Colt 1903 Hammerless is impressive! I've always wanted one.
I've never come across one that was in good enough shape for the money.
Shoot the Colt detective snubby! Life is short, enjoy them all!
I love to see the photos of the classics!
Johnny
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

In my travels to Colorado I carried just what I needed. Not "high speed-low drag" but certainly adequate for the circumstances.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you fellas!

JOG,
Yes, they are real stags. I have a few nice sets. One more on another 1911, and a nice set on a 1st gen SAA. I looked briefly for some for the Detective Special. Boy! They aren't cheap. Like an idiot, I figured since they were so small, maybe......... :D

Scott,
Good shooting. I always did fairly well with the J- frames. My wife loves em. She could carry whatever she wants, and still prefers them to anything else.
I think I shoot the Colt a little better. I'm looking forward to working with it some more. I've never been a big Colt DA guy. Always loved the SA's, but went with Smith for the doubles.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Heck, the muzzle blast from that Tokarev is plenty enough to scare away anyone with bad intent! :D
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

OldWin wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:06 pm Thank you fellas!

JOG,
Yes, they are real stags. I have a few nice sets. One more on another 1911, and a nice set on a 1st gen SAA. I looked briefly for some for the Detective Special. Boy! They aren't cheap. Like an idiot, I figured since they were so small, maybe......... :D

Scott,
Good shooting. I always did fairly well with the J- frames. My wife loves em. She could carry whatever she wants, and still prefers them to anything else.
I think I shoot the Colt a little better. I'm looking forward to working with it some more. I've never been a big Colt DA guy. Always loved the SA's, but went with Smith for the doubles.
OldWin, super nice stags! I agree with you on the Smith double actions over the Colt double action. I've only fired a few Colt doubles. I'll stick with the Colt's in single action and semi auto's {1911s}. Right now, the Trading Post has a Colt Detective snubby sitting on the shelf. It's not as nice as yours, but real nice shape.
They have $600.00 on it. I guess that's not to bad these days.
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

JOG wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:40 pm
OldWin wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:06 pm Thank you fellas!

JOG,

Scott,
OldWin, super nice stags! I agree with you on the Smith double actions over the Colt double action. I've only fired a few Colt doubles. I'll stick with the Colt's in single action and semi auto's {1911s}. Right now, the Trading Post has a Colt Detective snubby sitting on the shelf. It's not as nice as yours, but real nice shape.
They have $600.00 on it. I guess that's not to bad these days.
Johnny

Yeah, it's sad to say, that's not a bad price.
I wish it wasn't so far downt there for me. I used to make it down once a year or so to pore over what seemed like acres of used guns. It is a great place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I thought that Colt looked familiar. :D Yes, Jay, they are smooth...pretty near the same hand work went into them as the Python and the Diamond Back....

I have a nickel plated one but my daughter somehow liberated it from me....

Yes, the .32 is deadly.....4,000 Polish officers were killed with a shot to the back of the head by a 25 ACP.--006
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. I'm anxious to get it out and shooting. Probably been decades since it was fired. Been carrying it around the place the last couple days and it is pretty sweet.