tsunami P S A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

tsunami P S A

Post by Grizz »

public service announcement

giant volcanic eruption in Tonga

entire west coast of America under a warning... the first impulse as of a few minutes ago contacting lower calif

here is the life saving info:

do not go on beaches
do not follow water out when it recedes off of beaches
if you have a boat in the water, timing is everything;
if the surge happens at high tide, boats can be lifted above the docks and pilings
if the surge happens at dead low tide the exposed harbors may weather it ok
there will be more than one surge
there is no telling at this time how far inland towards seattle a surge may come
the outside beaches should be evacuated and the boats and harbors evaluated.
it may be a nothing for west coastians; but damage isn't assess-able until after it happens
and it's not unlikely that some spectator somewhere on the coastline will die today

Grizz out
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: tsunami P S A

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Grizz how close are you to this? Have weathered one before?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Company biz took me to Portland, decided to screw off one afternoon and drive to the coast.

Taking in all the scenery, then started noticing all the "Tsunami Evacuation Route" signs with arrows.

Big reminder, "Toto, you ain't in Kansas no more..."

Was a long, beautiful drive down the 101 to Tillamook and back.

Fortunately, 'The Big One' didn't occur while I was there so was a good trip.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:21 pm Grizz how close are you to this? Have weathered one before?
I am inland on west side of puget sound and very isolated from this event. I have been through major earthquakes and a number of tsunami warnings. saw almost all the water sucked out of secret cove, and the trees swaying thru about 60 degrees and the mountains rippling with the seismic waves and the docks with standing waves, looked like hum on an oscilloscope, but no direct adverse consequences, partly because it was at dead low tide. but that quake remodeled the submerged mountains such that a 'pinnacle' disappeared and was replace by a steep drop off. the whole underwater system was so screwed up that the incoming fish runs bypassed the normal migration route and went south and around baranof island before heading to the northern spawning grounds. major stuff, but no tangible direct damage.

me and someone else went out to find Charlie Ferdeen whom we knew to be rowing out in the sound trolling for a log for firewood. we zoomed up to his rowboat and said "Charlie, there's a tsunami warning, do you want us to tow you in? to which he politely declined and said "it's happened before, it will happen again".

That's a man who was stronger at 80+ y.o. than i was. he walked a trapline to another cove, and back, every day. i once saw him walking with a ginormous deer on his back.

he once got to skagway and walked to fairbanks because he got a letter from his sister informing that it was a happening place. (you know, words to that effect) he quit rowing to Juneau once or twice a year for supplies because he saw an article in time magazine stating that a law was passed that no one could work more than eight hours in a day, (his understanding), and he could not row to Juneau in eight hours.

the kind of guys I was privileged to be acquainted with when i got to Alaska.

hope this isn't TMI !! :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:58 pm
3leggedturtle wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:21 pm Grizz how close are you to this? Have weathered one before?
I am inland on west side of puget sound and very isolated from this event. I have been through major earthquakes and a number of tsunami warnings. saw almost all the water sucked out of secret cove, and the trees swaying thru about 60 degrees and the mountains rippling with the seismic waves and the docks with standing waves, looked like hum on an oscilloscope, but no direct adverse consequences, partly because it was at dead low tide. but that quake remodeled the submerged mountains such that a 'pinnacle' disappeared and was replace by a steep drop off. the whole underwater system was so screwed up that the incoming fish runs bypassed the normal migration route and went south and around baranof island before heading to the northern spawning grounds. major stuff, but no tangible direct damage.

me and someone else went out to find Charlie Ferdeen whom we knew to be rowing out in the sound trolling for a log for firewood. we zoomed up to his rowboat and said "Charlie, there's a tsunami warning, do you want us to tow you in? to which he politely declined and said "it's happened before, it will happen again".

That's a man who was stronger at 80+ y.o. than i was. he walked a trapline to another cove, and back, every day. i once saw him walking with a ginormous deer on his back.

he once got to skagway and walked to fairbanks because he got a letter from his sister informing that it was a happening place. (you know, words to that effect) he quit rowing to Juneau once or twice a year for supplies because he saw an article in time magazine stating that a law was passed that no one could work more than eight hours in a day, (his understanding), and he could not row to Juneau in eight hours.

Next Tuesday, I was planning for me and a Bud to go to Ocean Shores to The Fish Shack....I've no doubt the building is fine, but at sea level, and a stone's throw from the beach, they might have gotten their feet wet...I should probably call before going.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:05 pm
Grizz wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:58 pm

Next Tuesday, I was planning for me and a Bud to go to Ocean Shores to The Fish Shack....I've no doubt the building is fine, but at sea level, and a stone's throw from the beach, they might have gotten their feet wet...I should probably call before going.
call be good, but i don't think there should be shoreline damage. was just looking at a live feed from ocean shores, watching the surge pushing up a creek, and running back out. it's low tide, or halfway on the coast, from the looks of it, and people along the roadways are safe and secure. it would take some kind of amplifier situation, plus an abnormally big final push to breach, i think. but we have several hours of the advisory in place. the tv guy said there would have to be at least 3 hours past the last surge to know it is the last surge, before they would drop the advisory designation. i think crescent city is a candidate if the biggest surge times with the high tide, that's what happened to them last time.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

For some crazy reason I'm supposedly in a tsunami zone. But there is a sheer cliff of about 200 feet on the ocean side. If a tsumani gets that high there won't be much of Socal left.. The real reason a lot of areas are designated tsunami zones is two fold. CYA for governments and premiums for flood insurance for the insurance companies. Here at least if you live in a tsunami zone and have a mortgage you must have flood insurance.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:26 pm For some crazy reason I'm supposedly in a tsunami zone. But there is a sheer cliff of about 200 feet on the ocean side. If a tsumani gets that high there won't be much of Socal left.. The real reason a lot of areas are designated tsunami zones is two fold. CYA for governments and premiums for flood insurance for the insurance companies. Here at least if you live in a tsunami zone and have a mortgage you must have flood insurance.
yeah, the flood slash tsunami zone scams, we got 'em here too . . .
however, the farmers in flood plains get free topsoil from time to time, and improved crops.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

false alarm....
it was rosie o'donald doing a cannon ball off the pier.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

RIHMFIRE wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:51 am false alarm....
it was rosie o'donald doing a cannon ball off the pier.
Not a nice image to have in mind!
Grizz what happened with this?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:25 pm
[/quote]

it sputtered out on our side of the pacific. there were some waves that breached the shoreline in Ca at high tide. have not heard of any structural damage in oregon or washington, mostly a non-event. but it did significant damage to some of the pacific islanders. loss of water and electricity on some islands. scary for them.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pretty muck a non event in California. Surfers did get some better sets.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:37 am
3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:25 pm
it sputtered out on our side of the pacific. there were some waves that breached the shoreline in Ca at high tide. have not heard of any structural damage in oregon or washington, mostly a non-event. but it did significant damage to some of the pacific islanders. loss of water and electricity on some islands. scary for them.
[/quote]

When I went to Ocean Shores last Tuesday, which of course is sea level, none of the people I talked to at the Fish Shack said it didn't happen. (BTW, that Bennet's Fish Shack is someplace you should consider...most excellent plate of cod, clam strips and fries...plus a lot of other good stuff)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

happened to see a good information piece on cascadia and what's going to happen when it kicks off. one detail that I've not seen published before is that the area Blaine visited on the coast will be covered to a depth of 75 to 90 feet of seawater. nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. not only that, but the same surges are likely to push into seattle with similar results, although perhaps not the same depths. I might survive where i live, but might not want to if i do.

One of the people who sounds like she knows what she is talking about is Corina Allen, Chief Hazards Geologist, WA State.

https://www.chronline.com/stories/after ... ula,283102

entertaining reading. the land on the coast will drop 10 to 20 feet. then a hundred foot wall of water will roll over us.

https://www.nwnewsnetwork.org/disasters ... g-flooding

this has sorta been covered up for a long time, like, they didn't want to scare the victims-to-be. I plan to get my ham license renewed and some gear so i can help out with comms, if i don't drown.

https://www.nwnewsnetwork.org/disasters ... g-flooding
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

of course, right over on the other hand, maybe the cia is about to touch it off, since people found out their lies . . .
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... a154a6e6a7

THIS is a better link with better data snippets . . . JIC