Results of 44 Mag load tests with 1873 Carbine....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
leverman44
Levergunner

Results of 44 Mag load tests with 1873 Carbine....

Post by leverman44 »

Tested 5 mild 44 Mag loads for mostly plinking but still have the power of a 10mm. My Uberti/Winchester 1873 Carbine was test rifle and the bullets used were Xtreme 200 gr. plated, Missouri Bullets 200 gr. Cowboy and
Matt's Bullets 245 gr. RNFP cast lead. Powders used were Alliant Unique and Red Dot and target distance 35 yds. shooting from a kneeling position.
Recently made a modification to the front sight by adding a brass .125 diameter post at same height the blade was. This with the opened up rear sight notch to a "U" shaped .180 works fantastic for old eyes!

Each round tested was of 5 shots even though some bullets went thru a ragged hole. Same aim point with the red target dot sitting on top of front sight post.

The 200 gr. Xtreme load with 9 gr. Unique appears to be the No. 1 choice with the Red Dot load 2nd. Have tested the MB 200 gr bullet before with 8-9 gr. Unique and they don't group well at all in this rifle.
They do shoot better in my revolvers though.

Also found this .44 Carbine was built by Uberti in 2012. Nice shooter!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Results of 44 Mag load tests with 1873 Carbine....

Post by wvfarrier »

Ive never seen a 73 in 44 mag!!
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

That is one fine looking '73 in my favorite revolver cartridge- and with the shotgun style butt plate to boot! If you have the manufacturer's # or SKU for that, please let us know.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That looks a lot like my Cimmarron 1873 and it shoots like it too.

Mine has the carbine style buttstock and buttplate and a carbine style ladder rear sight. I decided to shoot mine mostly with .44 Special cases and Skeeter's load of 7.5 gr of Unique, but with a 240 gr LFN style bullet.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

wvfarrier wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:45 am Ive never seen a 73 in 44 mag!!
There's a reason for that.
The 1873 toggle action preferred by many cowboy action shooters though fast & smooth is a inherently weak action strength wise.
I would be keeping those 44 mag loads "modest" even in 1873 actioned guns made of modern steels.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet! :mrgreen:
leverman44
Levergunner

Post by leverman44 »

wvfarrier wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:45 am Ive never seen a 73 in 44 mag!!
They are hard to find and from what I read Uberti stopped making them in 2020. Will be shooting low level .44 Mag rounds or .44-40 type loads in 44 Mag brass.
I have a Henry 44 Mag carbine for the heavy stuff.
Don't know how much this one has been shot over the years and took the side plates off for a look. Clean inside and the links fit snug and work smooth.

Removed the lever spring and polished the end where it wears on lever cam. Put a .015 shim under spring to lighten up the heavy tension and a bit of GraphMoly grease
where it wears on lever cam. Just a touch of same lube on link pins and any wear areas. Nice and smooth now.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

leverman44 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:35 pm They are hard to find and from what I read Uberti stopped making them in 2020.
I hadn’t read that. Too bad, for owners who comment on them all seem to like them. Taylor’s still shows them in their online catalog, but the factory site no longer lists 44 Mag, although there is a photo of one as well as parts diagrams (the 44 Mag receivers have a different part number).
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Id sure like to have one. Using 44 special load data you could really make some dandy ammo for it
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus