Exploring the NRA Whittington Center.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Exploring the NRA Whittington Center.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

With Miss Kathy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Exploring the NRA Whittington Center.

And the mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Brings back a few memories. While I lived in Trinidad we used to go use the ranges there. Shot on the 1000 yd, rifle silhouette and the shotgun ranges . We got thrown off the silhouette range for shooting our belted magnums. One of the open house events I volunteered to run the shotgun ranges.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

I've got a large piece of coal from that mine sitting on my desk as a momento of the week we stayed there.
Had a great time.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Thats cool. We ride our horses along an old railroad and there are quite a few really long tunnels. The horses hate it.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Been there a few times to use ranges, once to hunt, and as a layover stop on vacation. Love it.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Been going there since the 1990's. In the early days none of the firing lines were covered ..roads were rough ... housing limited. It has come a long way since then! Many more ranges have been added. The roads improved. A LOT of housing has been built .. ranges covered ... toilets .. just a lot of improvements. And well done I might add. Seeing that The Whittington Center is a totally separate organization from the NRA and operates totally on donations and what they raise themselves, it is a testament to the shooters of this country and the shooting industry. The firearms museum at the Center is well worth the stop.

And no, I have no part in The Whittington Center other than being a Member which I pay to be.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:45 am Been going there since the 1990's. In the early days none of the firing lines were covered ..roads were rough ... housing limited. It has come a long way since then! Many more ranges have been added. The roads improved. A LOT of housing has been built .. ranges covered ... toilets .. just a lot of improvements. And well done I might add. Seeing that The Whittington Center is a totally separate organization from the NRA and operates totally on donations and what they raise themselves, it is a testament to the shooters of this country and the shooting industry. The firearms museum at the Center is well worth the stop.

And no, I have no part in The Whittington Center other than being a Member which I pay to be.
My first trip to the Whittington Center was for my first Shootist Holiday and as I recall, you and I shared a room in the Competitor's housing. Good memories.

I could no longer find the Bannana Rock, but I understand that it has been replaced with a steel version that they lay down except for when the Shootists are there.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:53 am
JimT wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:45 am Been going there since the 1990's. In the early days none of the firing lines were covered ..roads were rough ... housing limited. It has come a long way since then! Many more ranges have been added. The roads improved. A LOT of housing has been built .. ranges covered ... toilets .. just a lot of improvements. And well done I might add. Seeing that The Whittington Center is a totally separate organization from the NRA and operates totally on donations and what they raise themselves, it is a testament to the shooters of this country and the shooting industry. The firearms museum at the Center is well worth the stop.

My first trip to the Whittington Center was for my first Shootist Holiday and as I recall, you and I shared a room in the Competitor's housing. Good memories.

I could no longer find the Bannana Rock, but I understand that it has been replaced with a steel version that they lay down except for when the Shootists are there.
Yes. Great Memories! And yes ... They put up steel targets in various places around that mountainside. Out to 1100 yards if I remember correctly. They paint them and set them up during preparations for The Shootists Holiday.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’m looking forward to seeing you there this year Jim. It’s been too long.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Great memories from there. Have been there only intermittently, but enjoy each trip and the time spent with great people. The "Banana Rock" is indeed no longer fruit shaped, I'd love to have the mineral rights to 50 yards around that rock. There's tons of lead and copper just waiting for extraction. :D The "banana gong" is set at the same distance and gives one a chance to try one's hand. My goal for this year is to ring it with Jeff Quinn's 44 SPL. Had to take a rain check on it last year due to the sights being out of whack and not having time to shoot it on paper first to see where it was lined up. They also set up gongs at 200, 400 and 600 yards, and further, but those are the ones I remember. John K got me on the 400 yard one with my old P17 and cast loads. This year the plan's to have my wife and the oldest grandkids along as well. They'll have plenty of fun hiking the area, I'm sure. Hope my leg's up to the challenge this year, last year was a bit of a drag mobility wise.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

AmBraCol wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:28 pm The "banana gong" is set at the same distance and gives one a chance to try one's hand. My goal for this year is to ring it with Jeff Quinn's 44 SPL.
Let's do this. I'll bring a couple of Terry Murbach's old guns and my Shootists .44 Special and we will see if we can't find some combination that gets us on the Banana gong.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Great place to visit Hope to go back soon
----- Doug
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:56 am
AmBraCol wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:28 pm The "banana gong" is set at the same distance and gives one a chance to try one's hand. My goal for this year is to ring it with Jeff Quinn's 44 SPL.
Let's do this. I'll bring a couple of Terry Murbach's old guns and my Shootists .44 Special and we will see if we can't find some combination that gets us on the Banana gong.

Looking forward to it!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Stopped in there 20 years ago or so on a trip to Philmont. The late Robbie Roberts, collections curator at the Whittington, was the first rangemaster at our shooting range here in La Luz, NM.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shot there @ the OWSA (Old West Shooters Association's "National Shootout" from '90 to '93. Also competed there for the NRA Nationals for BPCRS in '92 & '93. Great venue, and has consistently improved over the years!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!