If you like Old S&W........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

If you like Old S&W........

Post by reflex264 »

How about a 1st model DA .44 Russian. Yep I had to shoot it. Picked it up at an auction several months ago.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: If you like Old S&W........

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Very Nice!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Year of manufacture?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice find, congratulations... :mrgreen: how does it shoot?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Great gun, in a great cartridge! Very easy to load for and fun to shoot too! Had a couple in a S&W DA, and an earlier New Model #3 SA also. Always loved that cartridge!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:05 pm Nice find, congratulations... :mrgreen: how does it shoot?
Not bad. First try about 5" at 25 yards. I am sure if I get more time to fool with it that will shrink. Sure is a mess to clean though.
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

Blaine wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:44 pm Year of manufacture?
I can't remember off the top of my head. Ill have to look it up.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is a fun cartridge. Accurate too! :D
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My Dad had an Iver Johnson .38 short that looked just like that!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I have one with almost all the nickel gone. Never shot it. I notice it will chamber Special and Magnums :shock:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Does it still lock up decent? You don't need to use black in it...a very mild charge of Unique will suffice...I had one that was like new and I sold it to Kirk D in Canada...(talk about a headache with the legalities!)

Had others in that caliber and moved em all over the years....just kept one, a Colt SAA IN 44 Russian.....originally bought by John W. Hession , the Marine Corp shooter.

I can talk those old guns all day...and night.

By the way, all of those are considered antiques as the frames were all built before 1899 but continued to be put together for about another 10 years.---006

Triplelock Target 44 Spl.

Merwin & Hulbert in 44-40. Built late 80's beer can accurate to 100 yards....note flip down hammer

Model A Uzi’s
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Dang Six, that is one fine Colt. Can I have it? I like those Merwins too. You can feel the compression of the base pin into the barrel assembly they are fitted so precisely. I let mine in 44 Winchester go last year and sold 2 SAAs at the last Wanamacher. At my age, 82, I've got to start thinning things down. No better investment though.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

M. M. Wright wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:23 pm Dang Six, that is one fine Colt. Can I have it? I like those Merwins too. You can feel the compression of the base pin into the barrel assembly they are fitted so precisely. I let mine in 44 Winchester go last year and sold 2 SAAs at the last Wanamacher. At my age, 82, I've got to start thinning things down. No better investment though.
M.M.,
Ya know, it's only "stuff" that at one time made you elated........there was only 153 single actions made in 44 Russian and this one also has provenance...I lucked out...came out of an old estate along with an unfired one in 45....There's a lot of "old money" around here from the DuPonts and such.

The Merwin is also about a 90-95 percenter...locks up tight and yes, it feels like there is a spring on the cylinder....amazing what they could do so long ago so that's why I get disgusted with today's junk..You and I know what quality is and what can be done if they want to.....but quantity is more important than quality....

So to answer your question, come on over....as one fellow Colt nut to another, you can HAVE it...it means less each day as we are all only temporary custodians of this "stuff"------006
Model A Uzi’s
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Mine is in the low four digits. Lockup is decent. A little rotational and fore and aft movement. Seen much worse. Always read they should be shot with black only. I don’t have any Russian brass and my dies are Sp/mag. Like I said it will chamber even a 300 grain magnum jhp. I don’t see why I couldn’t use special cases and a lead bullet
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

44shooter wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:17 pm Mine is in the low four digits. Lockup is decent. A little rotational and fore and aft movement. Seen much worse. Always read they should be shot with black only. I don’t have any Russian brass and my dies are Sp/mag. Like I said it will chamber even a 300 grain magnum jhp. I don’t see why I couldn’t use special cases and a lead bullet
Using 44 Spl brass might possibly let the bullet protrude out the front of the cylinder.....also, using a larger case with very small amounts of smokeless could possibly be dangerous.....(just read that...don't know for sure).....with a gun made of metal that was not heat treated for smokeless leaves you zero room for a spike in pressures......

Just take your 44 Spl cases and trim them down, use a light for caliber bullet....say 180-200 grains CAST....with 3-4 grains of Unique. Jacketed bullets will build up pressure as there's more resistance between copper and steel......size the cast for the cylinder throats and not above the throats or the groove diameter of the barrel....bottom line, do what you can to keep resistance to a minimum. Use as soft of a bullet you can.....40-1....make sure before pulling the trigger your cylinder is properly indexed......(lined up with the bore)----006
Model A Uzi’s
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I thought of getting some of those Speer plastic 44 cases and bullets. Primer power only. I could use them in my vaqueros too even in the shop