Gas Check Cast Bullet in .35 Remington

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Gas Check Cast Bullet in .35 Remington

Post by Hawkins »

Hello all,

Has anyone used this bullet with a gas check in .35 Remington:

https://hunters-supply.com/359-cal-207-gcfp-p-2023.html

It's a .359, 207 grain from Hunter's Supply. I have a few of these, and my concern is that it looks like the gas check will be down into the shoulder, below the neck, when seated to crimp in the crimp groove. Is that the case, and would that be a problem? I've loaded lots of cast bullets, but never messed with gas checks very much.

Thanks!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gas Check Cast Bullet in .35 Remington

Post by earlmck »

That looks like the old standard 35 Remington bullet I have used for years. The Lyman version is round-nosed and that is what I started with; RCBS moulds make the RNFP version like in the picture. And Lee makes their beautiful 6-cavity mould in a version which looks like a copy of the RCBS, and that is the mould I have been using for several years now.

When you place the gas check on the bullet base and then run it through the size die it will crimp the gas check in place (if the base is the correct size) and you aren't going to lose this gas check off the bullet even if it does project below the neck a bit. Looking at my loaded ammo, I think the top of the check may still be within the bottom of the case neck. In any event it has not seemed to ever be a problem.

Aside from that, I can hardly believe a cast bullet outfit is able to sell gas-check design bullets (that have obviously been through a size die) without having the gas check already attached. And to charge $65/100 for them. You are waay overdue for either casting your own or finding a better supplier. If you stick a gas check on there without running it through the size die to get the crimp effect you will lose some of them off the base and it will be a problem for you.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Never loaded that particular cast bullet.
I recall microgroove barrels "liked" a slightly bigger diameter bullet than rifles with Ballard rifling.
Never pushed them hard enuf to warrant a gas check.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hawkins »

Thank you for the info. They advertise them as being for .35 Rem, but wanted some confirmation. Yes, that is way overpriced. I found them for a lot less, not direct from the manufacturer, and rounded up a few gas checks to give them a try. Got them crimped on to the base good and tight. Like you, it looks like they might be barely still in the neck but it's hard to tell exactly--might even be down to whether the case is at min or max length.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Earlmck is onto it about price!

I know several shooters who buy from Montana Bullet Works and are well satisfied witht he price, quality, and delivery time. On a whim I looked on Montana Bullet Works site and found these in boxes of 100, gas checked, 2 choices of alloy, 3 choices of diameter, and approx. US$40.00:

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/prod ... 0gr-fn-gc/

Might be worth a call to them about an order.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hawkins »

I actually wound up getting them for $53 for 250 from Midway, and they had free shipping at the time :)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021549210?pid=555878

For that price, I figured I could put on a few gas checks myself. But I'll check out Montana as well--they do make good stuff.

If a gas check were to come loose in the case somehow, would the biggest concern be that it could get stuck in the barrel, and cause an earth-shattering kaboom the next shot?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Hawkins wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:11 pm If a gas check were to come loose in the case somehow, would the biggest concern be that it could get stuck in the barrel, and cause an earth-shattering kaboom the next shot?
Well that would be something to worry about all right! No, my worry is that if the check came off, the bullet wouldn't stay on the same course as one with gas check properly attached.

Back in the "good old days" when I was young 'n tuff, the Lyman gas checks didn't crimp on like the Hornadys do and I would blame the occasional flyer on a check coming off "in flight" so to speak. Don't know if it actually happened (check coming off in flight), but it gave me a plausible alibi. For some years now I've been using "Gator" checks along with Hornady checks and they seem to be pretty firmly attached also.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hawkins »

A built in alibi that no one can disprove? That's not a bug, it's a feature.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

With the short neck of the 35 Rem it’s not unusual to have the GC sitting below the neck line. As long as the GC is properly secured to the GC shank you should be good to go. Some of my heavyweight cast bullets in the 35 Rem and 348 Win have the GC sitting well below the neckline and I’ve never had an issue.