A Good Hunter.......And Shot.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

A Good Hunter.......And Shot.

Post by .45colt »

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: A Good Hunter.......And Shot.

Post by gamekeeper »

A successful hunt is what we all hope for, this guy was successful, I can't argue with that.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I read through the comments and I am constantly amazed at folks who would be critical of something like this. Seems like this guy did the job and the tool was fine in his hands. I'm not going to criticize him for that.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Such negativity is common on some forums. My momma taught me that if you cannot say something nice, do not say anything at all.

I have a .357 rifle with 20 inch barrel and will use it within its capabilities. My wife took a deer with it and I have taken feral hogs with it.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Certainly taking a risk to prove one's machismo if it potentially causes an inhumane kill or wounding is not something I would advocate, but it doesn't look like that was the goal or outcome in this case.

Everything really boils down to shot placement and bullet construction, which more or less boils down to a skilled hunter who knows his firearm and its capabilities. A very experienced hunter with a supposedly 'inadequate' cartridge is probably quite a bit less likely to have an inhumane kill or wounding than a novice with the latest and greatest cartridge and firearm.

One issue I see that I find disturbing is when even excellent marksman take shots at game that is 800 or 1,000 yards away, because the time of flight for a bullet at that range is such that the animal can quite easily simply take a step and move the impact several feet. No amount of skill or velocity short of the ability to see in the future is going to be able to compensate for that.

The other situation that we don't really see very often but can happen is that if a person's truly starving and the only opportunity they have to get the game is an 'iffy' shot, I have some sympathy. That's the way many generations of our ancestors lived and hunted, so whatever gun they had was the gun they would use because they were probably lucky if they could afford any firearm at all, and if they didn't get something to eat they might starve. For nearly all of us, having a successful hunt is not a matter of survival, so I think we should limit our shots accordingly.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

If I got an invitation to an elk hunt, a 357 rifle would be near the end of the list of arms I would chose. In perspective though, the range was fairly short with a bullet designed for controlled expansion and penetration in game. It’s not like he just grabbed some random defense JHPs off the shelf. I’m not the type of guy who tries the to see the minimal arm he can succeed with. I don’t see the point if I can handle more gun with ease. But I have to say he did he did it right. He had a good bullet and close shot. Let the air out and they will lay down.
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

I've shot deer in the past at very close range with 38 cal pistol bullets shot from my old Marlin 336C 35 Rem that were probably running about the same horsepower as that 357 mag levergun.
Meat in the freezer is the proof of that pudding and is hard to argue with.
Downloads can and do work ... we're talking ranges 50 yds or less and shot placement is critical.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I’ve shot over fifty deer with .357mag revolvers and another dozen or so with various .357mag rifles. I have never lost even one deer. Yes, I know an elk is a lot bigger. However the same approach applies. Work within the operating parameters of the shooters skill and take only good shot opportunities. There’s nothing about the .357mag that would hinder making a humane kill. I’m in my seventies now and I’ve been hunting for sixty years. I’ve seen a lot of game animals lost due to poor hits and poor marksmanship. A lot of the latter. If the guy wants to use a .357mag, knows his ability, and only takes clean shots I don’t see a problem. In fact, I don’t think the whole thing is even note worthy. I’m pretty sure a lot of big game is shot with this caliber including many bears. It’s just not a big deal. A good hit with a .357mag is better than a poor hit with a 45-70.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

jmiller wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:23 am A good hit with a .357mag is better than a poor hit with a 45-70.
Exactly. I've had much better results with the .357 magnum in a handgun than I have had with a .223.

It isn't that the .223 won't kill, it will. But finding the deer is much more difficult. Very little in the way of a blood trail as the bullet generally did not exit (even with heavy bullets that were designed and sold as deer hunting rounds).