375 H&H Ackley Improved Chamber specs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

375 H&H Ackley Improved Chamber specs

Post by CowboyTutt »

I doubt anyone here can help me, but thought I would ask. If you have a referral to another forum, I can ask there. Maybe I just need to contact someone at Redding.

Thanks guys,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: 375 H&H Ackley Improved Chamber specs

Post by harry »

Since it’s not a SAAMI cartridge it can be any of the improved designs. This is a 375 AI chamber:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thank you Harry, I also saw that thread before I posted. I did look around to see what information was available. That is the cartridge design. In some circumstances, the chamber is different. I'm looking for a chamber design spec as used by reamers and such.

Thank you.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Might get a hold of Manson, JGS, or Clymer and ask them if they will send you a print of their AI reamer.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tutt, fire a cartridge and measure your chamber. If you would listen to me and leave things again it would all go better.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

www.accuratereloading.com probably has the most bigbore gunsmiths logging on. Also see some fellas at 24hrcampfire talking about that calibre and 375wby on the express rifle forums
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I wonder how it compares to the 375 Ruger... That cartridge seems incredibly practical for a 'big bore' high powered cartridge.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

HOLD ON, 38 caliber is a big bore?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Savage is apparently correct about measuring a fired case is the closest I can come to finding out what the specs are on my chamber since I have no way of knowing what reamer Robert used back in the day. Then I can full size a case with my Redding dies that do have a 40* shoulder and compare the two to see how close they are. There is nothing wrong with the rifle, it seems very accurate and I like to think that the case being supported by both the belt and sharp shoulder helps accuracy. I did have Robert lengthen the chamber as well so I can single shot a cartridge that is a full 0.25 longer than the nominal 375 COL. That makes a significant difference in powder capacity.

Grizz, it may not be a "big bore" but even my original loads shoot a 350 grain Matchking bullet at just under 2500 fps and I am going to be able to improve on that with RL 26 over the Ramshot powder I previously used. Its a thumper! -Tutt

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Grizz, it may not be a "big bore" but even my original loads shoot a 350 grain Matchking bullet at just under 2500 fps and I am going to be able to improve on that with RL 26 over the Ramshot powder I previously used. Its a thumper! -Tutt
I know you got some hot ones Mr. Tutt . . .

For what it isn't worth, 'cause it isn't worth anything, i consider my .43Mag to be a medium bore, and the .45s to be step one of big bores. That's just me. But it makes me smile every time!

Have a great evening. Beautiful half moon up tonight.