Traded off a bunch of guns yesterday

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Traded off a bunch of guns yesterday

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I shoot rifles all the time and I find myself going back to only three rifles: A Model 94 carbine in .30-30, a Ruger Scout Rifle in .308, and a Marlin Cowboy in .357. Everything else just takes up space in the safe.

The Winchester is my go-to gun. I've owned it for about fourty years now and carried it on a horse and in a patrol car. It has been with me on manhunts and on both sides of the border. I would rather have it in my hands than any rifle I have ever owned if things got serious.

The Scout is a hunting gun, I've killed more deer and hogs with it than any gun I own. The zero never changes and if I get invited to go on a hunt, I would invariably take this one with me.

The Marlin is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
leverman44
Levergunner

Re: Traded off a bunch of guns yesterday

Post by leverman44 »

Looks like the basics are well covered with your proven collection!
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Nice keepers. I havent quite accepted it yet, but I should do the same.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Oldncrusty wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:04 am Nice keepers. I havent quite accepted it yet, but I should do the same.
I haven't dug down very deep at this point. But I know that I should. I'd be well served with only these three for anything that I am ever likely to do.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have owned so many guns over the years but seldom had a large collection at any one time, when a gun starts to gather dust down the road it goes and a new toy takes its place, sadly I have lost a lot of good guns that way ... :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

When was the 94 made?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Old Savage wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:24 am When was the 94 made?
Probably late 70s early 80s. Just a working gun. I think I paid $150 for it.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

When a person says "traded off a bunch of guns", it sounds like they were replaced with other ones or with items worth their value (snowblower, lawn mower, etc). What were they traded off for? The ones in the pic are good keepers, especially the 94. Can't tell by the picture but it looks like a Trapper with 16" barrel. Maybe it's just the angle that makes the tube look shorter than the usual 20 inches.
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

Since you should always have an even number of rifles, I suggest the fourth should be a rimfire 22 (lever action of course).
NRA life member
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

kaschi wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:51 pm When a person says "traded off a bunch of guns", it sounds like they were replaced with other ones or with items worth their value (snowblower, lawn mower, etc). What were they traded off for? The ones in the pic are good keepers, especially the 94. Can't tell by the picture but it looks like a Trapper with 16" barrel. Maybe it's just the angle that makes the tube look shorter than the usual 20 inches.
At this point, I don't have anything to show for it but a tally saying that the gun store owes me a certain amount of money.

The Winchester is a 16 inch barrel SRC top eject.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

bmtshooter wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:59 pm Since you should always have an even number of rifles, I suggest the fourth should be a rimfire 22 (lever action of course).
I thought about that. But I don't really shoot .22 rifles much. Almost all of my .22 shooting these days is with a pistol or revolver.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...The Winchester is my go-to gun. I've owned it for about forty years now and carried it on a horse and in a patrol car. It has been with me on manhunts and on both sides of the border. I would rather have it in my hands than any rifle I have ever owned if things got serious...."

That says alot about the gun and the person - you have been patient and practical. They say "beware the man with but one gun, for he knows well how to use it". Like many others, I've spent WAY too much time "looking for the ideal rifle", when the TRUE solution is to get an "ok" rifle, and practice, practice, practice, and use that rifle daily for everything. At that point, it will have become the most incredibly effective tool imaginable.

I'm sure you could have used a number of other rifles and wound up in the same place. Obviously a 32 Special or something, in the same model, and you'd likely never know the difference. Probably a 35 Remington, or any number of other similar levergun cartridges, even the 'pistol' ones. I'm sure there are counterparts of yours out there who have developed the same 'partnership' with their bolt-action 308's, or semi-auto whatevers. I sometimes wish I could go back to my youth (say 30 years of age :D ), and know what I know now - I'd probably only own a few guns, but they'd be darned good ones, and I'd have shot a couple of them a BUNCH, instead of having a bunch of guns, some of which I've only shot a few times... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

That’s where I am headed.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:21 am I have owned so many guns over the years but seldom had a large collection at any one time, when a gun starts to gather dust down the road it goes and a new toy takes its place, sadly I have lost a lot of good guns that way ... :?
That's why I never take the risk and keep them all! :wink:
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I feel the same way. There are only 2 guns i own that arent available for removal. My Winchester 92 deluxe 357 and my Lew Horton 27-8.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

I could get 4X what I paid for my JM Marlins. :mrgreen:
I actually use 2 out of 8 ... the rest get cleaned, polished and oiled every 6 mos.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER