Uberti Stallion/Cimarron P Jr

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Uberti Stallion/Cimarron P Jr

Post by Oldncrusty »

I just discovered these the other day. A Single Six sized Colt clone. Also available in .38 Spl., an .22. Wondering if anyone has seen or handled one of these. Like most guns, no one has them in stock. Thinkin that .38 would be really sweet.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/model ... -2-in.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Uberti Stallion/Cimarron P Jr

Post by vancelw »

Oldncrusty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:52 pm I just discovered these the other day. A Single Six sized Colt clone. Also available in .38 Spl., an .22. Wondering if anyone has seen or handled one of these. Like most guns, no one has them in stock. Thinkin that .38 would be really sweet.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/model ... -2-in.html
I have a Model P, Jr in .32 WCF/.32 H&R magnum.
Only thing I don't like is the cylinder pin setup, which is designed to block the hammer when in the full rearward position, blocking the hammer from hitting the primer.
I Bought an extra pin, planning on cutting it short so that can't happen, but haven't cut it yet.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I bought one years ago for my son, know here as Y2K, when he was a button. It was his first centerfire handgun, and perfectly sized for him.

Now he's 23 and addicted to recoil. Shoots the big stuff. Me, I like the softer-shooting stuff now! :oops:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hmmm, I wonder if the cylinder for the .32 H&R Magnum is long enough to handle a .327 Federal Magnum??? It would have to be altered, but that would be a nifty combo set!
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:13 pm I bought one years ago for my son, know here as Y2K, when he was a button. It was his first centerfire handgun, and perfectly sized for him.

Now he's 23 and addicted to recoil. Shoots the big stuff. Me, I like the softer-shooting stuff now! :oops:
Thanks y'all. Glad to know there at least two out there. I'll start huntin.

I still have an itch to try a .454, and am drooling over a BFR in 30-30, but I dont see it happening with my geezer ailments.
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

I bought one new in 38 Special with a 3-1/2" barrel, it's an exact copy of my full sized model P in 45 Colt.
I wear it cross draw and the full sized one on my right hip.
I bought a bird's head grip frame and wood grip and fitted it to the revolver so now I can have it both ways.
I got pictures but I don't know how to post them on here.

I just realized I have already posted a picture of them on this board under a different title if you want to look it up.
Last edited by flightsimmer on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

Oh, you won't find them in a gun store, you have to order them from a Uberti or a Uberti dealer, that's why their rare.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

flightsimmer wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:39 am Oh, you won't find them in a gun store, you have to order them from a Uberti or a Uberti dealer, that's why their rare.
I suspected that. Thanks for the help!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I bought a used Uberti Stallion in 22 LR (click here for link) back in the fall based on the way it looked and handled -- as it felt really great in my hand!

Well, I finally got it out shooting the other day and it was the only handgun (of 6 that day) that I regularly went "6 for 6" with on the steel falling plates! Oh sure, the 9mm's, .357 and .44 all knocked the plates down with more thump and authority, but the little Stallion hit to point-of-aim with the fixed sights and was spot on at that distance -- with little recoil to cause misses on following shots. It was fun to shoot. Then towards the end of the shooting session, I started to notice some slight gritty drag, so I wisely stopped...

I will now have to do some work on it, which I'll do, since she shot so well.

Upon inspection at home, it seems this one didn't have a spring under the firing pin and it was peened forward and not rebounding. Left a small scratch line on the cylinder which some Oxpho Blue will fix up. Digging a little deeper (with a screwdriver), I found the trigger/bolt spring was about to break on the bolt side of the "U", turns out the fit of the bolt to the recess in the frame is wicked tight. Even without the spring in the way, it takes an extra push from the screwdriver to fully push the bolt up.

I worked on both of my Uberti blackpowder revolvers after I got them -- an 1860 Army & 1862 Pocket Police -- and they both benefited greatly from removing small burrs and careful polishing in appropriate places. I recall that an SASS member posted info online on "Tuning Pietta Single Actions" and then he also did a series on "Tuning Uberti Open Top Revolvers". I used those as a guide on my home gunsmithing and I'll do it again. You should be able to find those with Google.

Yeah, it sorta stinks that I have to do this work -- although I will admit I do ENJOY the home gunsmithing and seeing it turn from a hammer back into a shooter -- but the l'il Uberti is worth putting the time into, for me anyway. And I couldn't/would never just pass it on and sell it as-is -- which the prior owner probably did to me.......

Tight groups.

Old No7

Stallion 22 01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Great info. Thanks Jack. I mean No.7.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Call Cimarron, they'll sell you one. They probably have a FFL holder near you who will receive it for you at minimal cost.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:22 pm Hmmm, I wonder if the cylinder for the .32 H&R Magnum is long enough to handle a .327 Federal Magnum??? It would have to be altered, but that would be a nifty combo set!
I don't think it is rated for that much pressure.
And if it was, .32-20 HV is faster.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i have two of the target model stallions in 38 special, one i keep in alaska, one here in montana. both are beautifully made, excellent triggers and superb accuracy.

wish they made the target model in 32 H&R ... maybe they do, but havent seen one.
cable
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

The others here had better luck than me. We got a Stallion in 38 about 3 or 4 years ago. I sold it within a half year; it was junk.

As designed, the ejector rod didn't line up with the cylinder centers and bound up on the empty cases. It wasn't full stroke regardless. After only a few dozen rounds, one could see the hammer face peening on the frame mounted firing pin. Worse, the firing pin was misshapen and would stick in the fired primer, locking up the gun; the distributor was able to fix that, at least. The binding ejector rod I fixed by bending it slightly with a hammer; the steel was very soft.

Uberti has many neat offerings, but I've been bitten twice by low quality firearms from them and am hesitant to consider them ever again.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Thanks for the input. Did yours handle +P OK? I'm sure there are "lemons" that slip through the cracks from most companies. I've been reading of quite a few Rugers that have had to be returned for more fitting. Its dang hard to fi nd good help these days.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Oldncrusty wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:52 pm Thanks for the input. Did yours handle +P OK? I'm sure there are "lemons" that slip through the cracks from most companies. I've been reading of quite a few Rugers that have had to be returned for more fitting. Its dang hard to fi nd good help these days.
They are not rated for +P or +P+ !
I use normal velocity .32-20 in mine.
If I want HV rounds I use my model 53 or Ruger Blackhawk Buckeye.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

vancelw wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:40 am
Oldncrusty wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:52 pm Thanks for the input. Did yours handle +P OK? I'm sure there are "lemons" that slip through the cracks from most companies. I've been reading of quite a few Rugers that have had to be returned for more fitting. Its dang hard to fi nd good help these days.
I didnt figure they would be. Does that go for
38 spl also?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Oldncrusty wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:08 am
38 spl also?
If the manufacturer says it is +P rated....or better yet, .357, then shoot .38 Special +P in it.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

vancelw wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:23 am
38 spl also?
If the manufacturer says it is +P rated....or better yet, .357, then shoot .38 Special +P in it.
Please excuse my ignorance. I was under the impression that this was a place where people gathered to talk about guns, and share their experiences with them.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I don’t recall what the manual said regarding +P rounds. However, it’s made in Italy, and the CIP pressure rating for the 38 exceeds SAAMI’s +P value.

I’ve had to send a rifle to Ruger. It took two trips, but they got it right eventually. Soft steels and misaligned ejector rods are another issue.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Thanks a bunch!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Oldncrusty wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:05 am
vancelw wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:23 am

38 spl also?
Please excuse my ignorance. I was under the impression that this was a place where people gathered to talk about guns, and share their experiences with them.
It is, indeed. But I think you just don't like the answer.

I own the exact gun you have pictured and have experience with it....

Buy yourself a Ruger. Don't buy an Italian clone and hotrod it.

Come see me sometime. I'll let you shoot mine and buy you lunch.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

vancelw wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:00 pm Buy yourself a Ruger. Don't buy an Italian clone and hotrod it.
FWIW, based on what I've seen on my Uberti blackpowder revolvers and the .22 Uberti Stallion I'd posted about up above -- I have to echo that advice.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH