THANK YOU RAY

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

THANK YOU RAY

Post by JimT »

PM sent.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: THANK YOU RAY

Post by Ray »

Got the p.m.

da nada as they say.....

I was just reading a feb. 1987 article on handloading the .25 acp.....

I have at times carried a .25 acp. It is not always possible to hide a larger gun on your person and the .25 is definitely better than a rock ! I don't have much use for the factory ammo. I tried what's available including the Winchester stuff that is a lead bullet with a BB in the hollow-point nose so that they will feed. I couldn't get it to expand when I fired it against a concrete block ! I pulled the BB out of the nose and slightly enlarged the cavity and used them to good measure on cottontails. For larger game I would be wary. My Dad made a bullet mould that casts a nice little 48 gr. flatnose. The nose flat is about .18 caliber and the bullet is truncated-cone shape. IN MY GUN I have run it to nearly 1100 fps ! THESE LOADS MAY BLOW YOUR GUN SKY--HIGH ! I'm only telling you what I have done in MINE ! I AM NOT RECOMMENDING IT FOR YOU ! My basic carrying load is the 48 gr. bullet over 1.7 gr. Unique and wsp primers. This load gives 976 fps out of my little thing. The same bullet and primers with 2.0 gr. Unique gives 1061 fps and a whacking 119 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy ! The same load but using Federal #209 small rifle primers will give nearly 1190 fps and 126 ft. lbs. --- BUT YOU START WRECKING THE BRASS ! Pressures are way over what are recommended for this round I have shot a number through my gun without damage, but YOU NEVER KNOW FOR SURE ! I feel that my gun is safe with 970 + fps load and use it but I don't shoot it much. If I have a choice, I will carry a larger caliber such as the .38 derringer. I saw a deer with a broken spine shot in the head with factory-velocity .25 acp loads. --- four shots and it was still alive, though bleeding from the nose and mouth. It is just areal puny load though it is true that anyone shot with it will need surgery. However, I would like my shots to be stoppers, not just wounders. A well shaped bullet in the .25 at over 900 fps is going to be more effective than roundnosed factory ammo, though by how much I don't know. It is not the ideal, though sometimes you just have no choice.

Any idea who wrote it ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ONLH7T ... vat1r/view

If link works, scroll down to page 6.....
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

HA! That is resurrecting the dead! The top loads in the .25 would blow the primer and the entire primer pocket out of the cartridge. I would fire it and the shell would eject. I would pick it up and there is big hole where the primer and pocket used to be. Never seemed to hurt the gun. I shot quite a few of those in it. The gun was one of those "expensive" Ravens. A little over $40 for a new one. But the pot metal frame seemed strong. Or else the .25 case was really weak.

In those days I experimented with a lot of crazy stuff.

Thanks Ray.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I made a shooting in Houston one night where a .25 did the job.

The gentleman in question was laid out just outside a doorway in a second story of an apartment building. His head propped up a bit by the wall opposite the door.

He was shirtless and had a tiny hole near the center of his chest. He did not apparenly die immediately as he had a cigarette in his mouth and the trail of the ash on his chest and chin. There was no external blood, so it looks like he fell down or laid down immediately after being shot and probably drowned in his own blood.

The lady who lived in the apartment claimed to know nothing about him or the incident. However, we found the spent case on the floor inside the apartment, along with a freshly fired Raven .25.