Bagged a unicorn

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Bagged a unicorn

Post by Oldncrusty »

About 3 weeks ago I was at a lgs about 40 miles from home for a browse. Before leaving, I reminded the owner that I was still searching for a Ruger revolver in .327. A fellow customer overheard me and volunteered that he had one he was thinking of selling. Turned out, he lived about 4 miles from me. Talk about right place/right time! Picked it up yesterday. Its had a complete DIY action job with Wilson springs. Slick! And more versatile than a snubbie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bagged a unicorn

Post by vancelw »

I bought one of those brand new.
After 12 rounds I was tired of being blasted by hot gas and burning powder so I put it up and forgot about it.
I read on a forum (maybe here?) About some Ruger revolvers with large gaps between the cylinder and forcing cone. Took mine out of the safe and, sure enough, there was a huge gap on the left and a lesser one on the right side.
Ruger promptly fixed it by replacing the cylinder and crane. It is much more pleasant to shoot, although I have continued to ignore the revolver....too much overtime.
Last edited by vancelw on Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

This one has been back to the factory once also for some timing issues. I'll be shooting mostly H&R Mag in it so the blast shouldn't be as bad.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I also had one of those 8-shot SP101s in .22LR. I think I traded it to Blaine..
It was a great little shooter but too heavy to tote for long. Ended up finding a 317 Smith that is much lighter. Not nearly as accurate, though.

The 327 is a great little gun. Can shoot 327, 32S & 32L, and .32 ACP if you had to.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

vancelw wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:03 pm The 327 is a great little gun. Can shoot 327, 32S & 32L, and .32 ACP if you had to.
And .32 H&R Magnum.

I bought one of the Ruger "Single Seven" revolvers several years back. Incredibly accurate with all loads (except the .32 ACP, but it is not the gun). A great little kit gun. :D
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:58 pm
vancelw wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:03 pm The 327 is a great little gun. Can shoot 327, 32S & 32L, and .32 ACP if you had to.
And .32 H&R Magnum.
I knew I left something out, but was too tired to revisit it :lol:

Now I can't stop thinking about my Ruger Buckeye with 2 cylinders and my need to try .32WCF HV rounds in it.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That .327 is a heck of a round. Mic McPhearson has me on a multi party email list for people experimenting with handloads for this cartridge.

Mine:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Ooh yea. My first choice was a single action, but I decided I should take the first one I could get.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I think that SP101 is about as bulletproof as you can get. Surprisingly accurate.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:03 pm I also had one of those 8-shot SP101s in .22LR. I think I traded it to Blaine..
It was a great little shooter but too heavy to tote for long. Ended up finding a 317 Smith that is much lighter. Not nearly as accurate, though.

The 327 is a great little gun. Can shoot 327, 32S & 32L, and .32 ACP if you had to.
Yep....I don't shoot it near as much as my Single Six, but it's a dandy, and just as accurate as it needs to be. It's a rock solid double action .22 of the finest sort.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Blaine wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:33 am
vancelw wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:03 pm I also had one of those 8-shot SP101s in .22LR. I think I traded it to Blaine..

Yep....I don't shoot it near as much as my Single Six, but it's a dandy, and just as accurate as it needs to be. It's a rock solid double action .22 of the finest sort.
The only reason the guy sold this one is because he wants the same gun in .22 for training family members. He can't locate one, and has multiple lgs looking for him. So now, I'm looking for him also.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!

I'll have to get my Single Seven out again. Haven't shot it in awhile, been ignoring it for the big bores.

Scott, that's a really sharp looking Bisley!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Great Find! I bought the Sp101 in 357 with the 4.2 inch barrel when they first came out. I wanted to like it but it just didn't fit my hand and I couldn't shoot it well. It's a great carrying size for a woods gun. I did the Wolf spring kit also. I was going to try bigger grips, but I sold it and bought a single seven. Seems that I can shoot single actions better. Since then I bought a single six in 32 H&R with Bisley grips , 6 1/2 inch barrel. Which brings my 32 H&R capable pistol count to 4.

As far as Unicorns go I ran across a Buckeye Blackhawk this summer, 32 H&R and a 32-20 cylinder. They wanted $650 so I passed. I already have a 8 shot Blackhawk in 327 which I don't shoot a lot. In fact that is the only gun I shoot full 327 Fed loads in. All the others I just shoot 32 H&R because it is more pleasant to shoot.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:51 am That .327 is a heck of a round. Mic McPhearson has me on a multi party email list for people experimenting with handloads for this cartridge.

Mine:
I wish Mic had been able to pull off that special run of brass. Not enough folks were interested. I put in a request even though we didn't have anything in the caliber yet. Then was able to pick up one of the Anniversary guns which will be my wife's 35th Anniversary gift (replacing her 32 we left back in Brazil in the 20th Century). I'm STILL waiting on that backorder of brass at Starline, but have a bunch of 32 SWL and a few 327's and 32 H&R's thanks to the generosity of men on this forum. I'm hoping Starline will finally come through on the brass before we head north later this year.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Wouldn't that be a good run for a Shootist headstamp?

I'm hopeful that Ruger/Marlin will turn out a nice levergun in this caliber.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Congrats! 327 is a cool round. I bought a 3" 327 SP101 soon after they came out. Mine has a windage adjustable only rear sight and a solid, non fiber optic front sight. Very solid, compact little gun. Mine seems to have a very tight cylinder gap and I definitely didn't notice any problems with gas/powder when shooting it.

I saw someone a few years ago on I think a handgun hunting forum(?) killed a nice little buck with a blackhawk/single seven in 327.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:21 pm Wouldn't that be a good run for a Shootist headstamp?

Amen to both. Brought home 150 rds of .327 Fed 85gr SP today for .80 per round so I do have some brass now.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:21 pm Wouldn't that be a good run for a Shootist headstamp?

Yes - both counts!!! :D :D :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ooo... now you all have me wondering. Does anyone make a cylinder for the Ruger Single Seven in .32-20? That would really be a nice companion for the .327 Federal Magnum gun!!! :D
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Hamilton Bowen offered a 32-20 cylinder for the 327 Blackhawk. I was going to send mine in at one time but never could justify the cost. The 32-20 AOL is too long for the single seven cylinder.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:54 pm Ooo... now you all have me wondering. Does anyone make a cylinder for the Ruger Single Seven in .32-20? That would really be a nice companion for the .327 Federal Magnum gun!!! :D
If I recall correctly - IF - the Single Seven cylinder won't handle 7 rounds of 32 30 due to the case rims. Or I may be confusing it with other non-compatible case rim diameter/cylinder diameter conflicts.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Heres an old thread that might be of interest

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... hp?t=17883
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oldncrusty wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:49 pm Heres an old thread that might be of interest

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... hp?t=17883
Wow... a blast from the past! Thanks!!! :D
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

I guess every once in a while Google screws up and lets something good through its filters.😯
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oldncrusty wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:11 pm I guess every once in a while Google screws up and lets something good through its filters.😯
Lol! :lol: