When I was a kid, I really wanted

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

When I was a kid, I really wanted

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

A Ruger Single Six convertible with a Lawrence holster. I recently found one in excellent condition WITH a matching Lawrence holster for a price that I haven’t seen in years.

I sure hope it shoots as well as it looks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: When I was a kid, I really wanted

I think this one was made the same year that I was (1962) which doesn’t hurt.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

No matter how long it may take , Ya got to love it when a plan comes together. !!! :D .
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

This is the exact model and barrel length I wanted in those days and I never saw one when I was a kid as people didn’t really have a way to legally carry a pistol in Texas in those days. I saw this gun first in Keith’s “Sixguns” and ads in outdoor magazines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

And the Lawrence holster.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

All I can Add right now Is "Happy New Year Elmer." My copy of Six-guns is purity worn out. What a Great Find.!
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

A great combination ! Looks slick.
NRA life member
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Helluba combination. A nice way to start a new year.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:25 pm when I was a kid as people didn’t really have a way to legally carry a pistol in Texas in those days
I find it quite amazing that laws passed to punish people for being on the losing side of a war lasted 100 years. That does not bode well for the future ....
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What a great way to start the new year! :mrgreen:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:50 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:25 pm when I was a kid as people didn’t really have a way to legally carry a pistol in Texas in those days
I find it quite amazing that laws passed to punish people for being on the losing side of a war lasted 100 years. That does not bode well for the future ....
We, as a species, are really into punishing people. But I think that once it became common that folks did not get to legally carry, there was a fear of "blood in the streets" that made it hard to reverse these laws long after there was nothing to punish people for.

I know that it was a really hard fight to get concealed carry permit laws passed in Texas and every legislative session since then we have loosened up or gotten rid of those post Civil War laws and guess what.......no "blood in the streets" like the Democrats are always screaming about. In fact, their stormtroopers (Antifa and the like) make it easier for our largely Republican Legislature to get rid of such restrictions.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've no doubt put more rounds through my stainless Single Six than all my other shooters combined, and the mag cyl is certainly more "hard hitting" than people give it credit for. When playing the game "what if you could only have one", this would be it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

If I am any kind of a pistol shot today, it's because between 14 and 18 years of age I tried my damndest to wear one of those out. Sometime in the first couple of months I discovered if you held careful & didn't yank the trigger, it would stay on and empty 22 shell box at 20 paces. I can't tell you how many squirrels, groundhogs and copperheads it killed because they were everywhere and I always had that Single Six on me or within reach.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

handsome rig. fantastic six gun
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice and congrats, nothing better than bringing back old good memories. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Similar story here; my first handgun wasn't to be until I was 14 or so, and as my rifle was a Ruger 10/22 it made sense to get either a Single Six or a Mark One Ruger. Both were such good guns so it was a difficult choice.

I thought that ahead, and read Mel Tappan's "Survival Guns" so was already deciding my future guns should include rifle/handgun 'pairs', and a Marlin 1894 was on the list, and would be most likely eventually paired with a Ruger Super Blackhawk. The other pair possibility was a Ruger 44 Mag semi-auto carbine but there wasn't a practical or affordable semi-auto 44 Mag pistol then, plus I was at heart a levergunner and really needed that Marlin 1894.

So I figured that since you can't reload 22LR (very well, at least), why not get a 'brass-slinging' Mark One to go with the 10/22. They made a great pair, burning through tons of Winchester Wildcat with my friends.

But....every time I'd see an ad for a Single Six, I'd be filled with regret and what-if thoughts. They were so cool. After I had the Marlin 1894 and Super Blackhawk 'pair' I was surely happy, but every time I handled the big SA revolver I wished it had a little buddy in 22 LR.

It wasn't until I was about 50 years old that I happened across a lightly-used one at a time I had a pocket full of money fresh from selling off another gun of some sort, and I took the Single Six home. It was so HANDY and PERFECTLY BALANCED. I'm still a far better shot with the Ruger Mark series pistols than with any revolvers, but that doesn't stop me from loving to shoot the little Single Six...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sarge wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:39 am If I am any kind of a pistol shot today, it's because between 14 and 18 years of age I tried my damndest to wear one of those out.
I don't know about wearing one out, but we sure shot one loose. My Dad bought it in 1964. By 1994 the tight barrel/cylinder gap had grow quite large, the cylinder had a lot of end-shake and the gun was spitting pretty badly. I sent it to Hamilton Bowen and it came back cleaned up, tightened up and reblued. Ready for another 30 years of hard use.

I wrote about a long time ago ... https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/family_gun.htm
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Sweet looking 3 screw you got there! Had one close to that, but let it go for some reason or other. :roll:
Last edited by 1894cfan on Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

First five rounds at 25 yards. It was 27 degrees in a pretty good north wind. Might shoot better when it’s warmer.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:48 pm First five rounds at 25 yards. It was 27 degrees in a pretty good north wind. Might shoot better when it’s warmer.
Not one thing wrong with that.
Any chance that there's some play in the cyl that a new basepin would tighten up?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jim T., I read your article. I was very touched by it. I never had anyone in my family to introduce me to firearms at a young age and I had no experience with guns until my new motorcycle friend Tym at the time (my best friend of many, many years now) took me shooting at an indoor range (yuck!) with a 44 mag revolver but later took me out shooting in the mountains over-looking Warner Springs in eastern San Diego County. I would have been in my early 30's I think. Tym was a Marine who had served his country and was there later when I purchased my 1st gun in Oceanside, CA, a nice stainless 45 Colt Super Blackhawk, that I later had gunsmithed by Bob Munden. You have some really unique and precious memories Jim, I'm glad you chose to write about them.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Blaine wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:13 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:48 pm First five rounds at 25 yards. It was 27 degrees in a pretty good north wind. Might shoot better when it’s warmer.
Not one thing wrong with that.
Any chance that there's some play in the cyl that a new basepin would tighten up?
I don't think that there is anything wrong with the gun, but the shooter is not at his best when he gets cold. It seemed to shoot better as I shot it, but it was so cold that I didn't paint the targets to show any of the later groups.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:06 pm Jim T., I read your article. I was very touched by it. I never had anyone in my family to introduce me to firearms at a young age and I had no experience with guns until my new motorcycle friend Tym at the time (my best friend of many, many years now) took me shooting at an indoor range (yuck!) with a 44 mag revolver but later took me out shooting in the mountains over-looking Warner Springs in eastern San Diego County. I would have been in my early 30's I think. Tym was a Marine who had served his country and was there later when I purchased my 1st gun in Oceanside, CA, a nice stainless 45 Colt Super Blackhawk, that I later had gunsmithed by Bob Munden. You have some really unique and precious memories Jim, I'm glad you chose to write about them.

-Tutt
Thanks Tutt! I have been blessed WAY beyond what I deserve.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Happy new year, Scott! That's a great way to start out the year. I have one I got from AK Church way back when, inspired by JimT's accounts of the old Family Gun. There's just something about an Old Model Single Six. It's probably my most shot sixgun while up north. It's taken a bunch of ground squirrels up in Colorado as well as various other vermin. Back in '06 it took these Missouri fox squirrels as well as a few not illustrated and a grey squirrel or two. Shucks, I shot it better that year than I was shooting the scoped Mossberg 22 and ended up taking more squirrels with it than with the rifle. They pack so easily that it usually gets toted along with whatever other sixgun I've got with me when in the woods/mountains/wherever.

Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com