1911 for CCW

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

1911 for CCW

Post by AJMD429 »

Bill Wilson and Massad Ayoob...

https://youtu.be/GPC0mmKlBrE
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1911 for CCW

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, I particularly liked the discussion about how baffling a 1911 can be to a bad guy unfamiliar with the platform, starting about 8 minutes in. In fairness, I must confess to be being baffled by pistols whose safeties work in the opposite direction and or decock the pistol. This just seems wrong.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Weird. I watched that just last night!
I have carried a 1911 or Commander for most of my life. I've tried the Officers twice. It just isn't for me. At this stage of my life, I don't care if they come out with self guided ray guns, I ain't changin'.

I have always respected Massad Ayoob. He said it.....
"John Browning was a genius".
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I carried a 1911 for years, professionally, in some pretty inhospitable environments and absolutely love the platform. I fluctuate between 1911s and wheelguns for edc
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I too carried a 1911 for years, on and off duty. It is still a great choice and I still carry one down on the Rio Bravo when I get down there. It saved my life in several really bad situations, but I think I would have done as well with a good sixgun under the circumstances.

I don't believe that there is a magic handgun, though the 1911 is a great balane between weight and power. It was the training I recieved from people like Cooper and Bruce Nelson that made the difference.

These days, I generally opt to carry an airweight J frame because I simply don't go places where I need more than that.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:58 am These days, I generally opt to carry an airweight J frame because I simply don't go places where I need more than that.
A Good Habit to Have My Friend!
Avoid stupid places at stupid times with stupid people.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I love carrying the 1911 for concealed carry in the cooler months. But it's very had to conceal in the warmer months when I'm dressed lighter. So for those months I carry my compact 9mm instead.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I find the 1911 easy to conceal in most any type of weathers.
hide- outside (1).JPG
hide- outside (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Around the place it's mostly an SAA but if, for some unknown reason, I have to go someplace stupid, this is on me. Along with a couple of Wilson/Rogers magazines. Oh, that's a 4 inch Kimber in 45 of course. The leather is Galco Summer Comfort. I forget the name of it but it is comfy and tucks things in tight.
Last edited by M. M. Wright on Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I actually got disarmed once, long ago and the only thing that saved me was that the individual could not figure out how to work the gun. The guy was an absolute monster, he literally ripped my holster off my duty belt. Id never seen anything like it. He was, however, not tougher than a dose of pepper spray shot directly up his nose 😬
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

wvfarrier wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:28 pm I actually got disarmed once, long ago and the only thing that saved me was that the individual could not figure out how to work the gun. The guy was an absolute monster, he literally ripped my holster off my duty belt. Id never seen anything like it. He was, however, not tougher than a dose of pepper spray shot directly up his nose 😬
I am happy he was stupid and you were prepared!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:54 am. . . In fairness, I must confess to be being baffled by pistols whose safeties work in the opposite direction and or decock the pistol. This just seems wrong.
One of the reasons I prefer the 'awful' Taurus 92 to the 'prestigious' Beretta 92 is those ridiculous push forward safeties..! The Taurus has a 1911-style safety.

JimT wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:59 am I find the 1911 easy to conceal in most any type of weathers.
Yep. Depends on how you dress ...as a pharmacy intern I worked nights in ghetto stores and I successfully concealed a 7-1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk in a Bianchi X-15 shoulder rig for three years and never got caught. (...and CCW was 'illegal' then in Ohio so concealment was critical... :shock: ... of course I have always dressed like a slob with loose ill-fitting clothes, and figured if I sweat that's just too bad, so that helped... :D )
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm a 1911 guy, thru and thru. I bought my first CC in 1975, have carried it since both on and off duty. Both concealed and open. I have noticed in recent years, that my IWB holster is getting tighter & tighter... still trying to figure that out! LOL!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I heard long time ago that if you had a good tool, build a shed over it. Well with my belly, if I have a 1911 on the belt near the front, I've got the good tool.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I'm with OldWin, I've carried a lightweight Colt Commander for some years now.
I rotate it with an old Sig P228. A good quality holster and belt make all the difference in the world.

DSC_7963.JPG
DSC_7960.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's just a beautiful Colt in a beautiful El Paso holster, JOG. Congratulations.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I just bought a taylor's and company 1911A1fs with parkerized finish. . I haven't shot it , it feels tight and has a nice weight. I have been down sick. But, I have taken it down twice to familarize myself with the cleaning. The hardet part is making sure the pigtail on the barrel is down horizontal with the barrel to put slide lock through when you put it barrel together, being new , it sticks up a bit, but i put a punch through side and align pigtail up with frame hole and the lock slides right on in. I love where the safety is. just feels natural. My cz 75pcr has a decocker in the same place, so muscle memory should be better on both pistols. the only thing i don't like on my is the gi sights. has a very short front ramp and hard to see when aligning with rear sight. I might put a red dot on front or just paint it with sight paint.. anybody have any extra they want to get red of.or a front sight they recommend they recommend to work with the rear sight? the front sight is staked but rear is dovetailed
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:27 pm That's just a beautiful Colt in a beautiful El Paso holster, JOG. Congratulations.
Thank you, Bill!
It carries pretty comfortable.
Johnny
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have to admit that lately I've been carrying my .45 colt Blackhawk more and more. But I still carry a 1911 quite frequently. Usually it's a lefty Randall Service model. But when I want to get fancy I carry this one I inherited from an old "*** in the grass" Marine.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rossim92 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:38 pm...the only thing i don't like on my is the gi sights. has a very short front ramp and hard to see when aligning with rear sight...
I have two of the Taylor's Tactical 1911s. One I won at my first "Wild Bunch" match, and after getting it and shooting it, bought a matching one for a backup if the one goes down during a match. My 71 year old eyes no long love the original sights. I replaced them with these from Brownell's on both guns:

Retro Rear Sight

Plain Wide Front Sight

1911 Staking Tool is mighty handy.
Last edited by Griff on Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A full size 1911 is my preferred "duty" gun (church safety team). I'm a throwback compared to all my peers carry souless striker-fired tupperwear guns... :wink:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

JOG wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:21 pm I'm with OldWin, I've carried a lightweight Colt Commander for some years now.
I rotate it with an old Sig P228. A good quality holster and belt make all the difference in the world.

DSC_7963.JPGDSC_7960.JPG

Nice hardware Johnny. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...souless striker-fired tupperwear guns..." :lol:

Ahh....the SSFT guns.... :D

I just am a control-freak I guess....I want to SEE and CONTROL the hammer and its condition. I don't like something under even partial spring tension if I can't see and control it, at least not if that 'something' has the potential to launch a lethal projectile.

And yes I know it isn't rational if you look at the mechanics of a well-designed, well-maintained, properly-functioning striker-fired gun. BUT it seems too much like carrying a Mauser bolt action rifle chambered "but the safety is on"...it just doesn't seem right. THAT'S WHY I LIKE LEVERGUNS.....I can at least carry my Marlin 1894 chambered, with no spring tension on the hammer, yet quickly thumbable into action. It even has a hammer-blocking 'safety' (which I know is redundant...but so are all the various safeties on a 1911).

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:37 pm It even has a hammer-blocking 'safety' (which I know is redundant...but so are all the various safeties on a 1911).
I often carry a Star PD ... thumb safety only ...
PD451.JPG
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:53 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:58 am These days, I generally opt to carry an airweight J frame because I simply don't go places where I need more than that.
A Good Habit to Have My Friend!
Avoid stupid places at stupid times with stupid people.
It gets a lot easier to do as I get older Jim.......
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, that Star PD is a sophisticated platform for concealed carry. I almost bought one decades ago, but declined after learning that its previous owner's wife had committed suicide with it.
Jay, you are on the money regarding the "soulless striker-fired Tupperware guns." At work I am currently carrying a Glock Model 48 with the 15-round Shield Armament magazines in a Kydex holster. It is very comfortable to wear all day, but that is all that can be said for it. Will replace it this coming week with the Tisas 1911 in Milt Sparks leather, assuming the former passes reliability tests.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I too, carried a Star PD for a while back in the day.
Thanks for the reminder Jim! :D
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Griff wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:03 pm
rossim92 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:38 pm...the only thing i don't like on my is the gi sights. has a very short front ramp and hard to see when aligning with rear sight...
I have two of the Taylor's Tactical 1911s. One I won at my first "Wild Bunch" match, and after getting it and shooting it, bought a matching one for a backup if the one goes down during a match. My 71 year old eyes no long love the original sights. I replaced them with these from Brownell's on both guns:

Retro Rear Sight

Plain Wide Front Sight

thanks for info. the page link for front site does not pop up you by any chance remember the height and width of your front sight?
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rossim92 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:43 am

Retro Rear Sight

Plain Wide Front Sight

thanks for info. the page link for front site does not pop up you by any chance remember the height and width of your front sight?
Corrected link: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts ... 20637.aspx
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

JimT wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:05 am
AJMD429 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:37 pm It even has a hammer-blocking 'safety' (which I know is redundant...but so are all the various safeties on a 1911).
I often carry a Star PD ... thumb safety only ...

PD451.JPG
Hmmm, Me too.

M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I never would have guessed that there were a few others here. I have a friend that still carries one.
The issue I had with mine was the plastic recoil spring guide. The legs that rode under the barrel would snap off in about a box of shells. Didn't seem to effect function. The captured spring probably helped.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

OldWin wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:19 pm I never would have guessed that there were a few others here. I have a friend that still carries one.
The issue I had with mine was the plastic recoil spring guide. The legs that rode under the barrel would snap off in about a box of shells. Didn't seem to effect function. The captured spring probably helped.
Do you mean on the Star PD? I've not seen one with a plastic recoil spring guide. Mine is metal and the ones I've personally see - not a lot of them mind you - were metal also. I'm sure the plastic one could be replaced with a metal one.

star_pd_recoil_assembly.jpg
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup.
The one my friend has is the same way. We ordered a new ones and got the same thing. After that we just didn't bother. I made sure there were no broken pieces to cause a malfunction, and ran it. When I sold mine, I gave my spare to my friend. That was about 25 years ago.
I always wondered why it wasn't metal.
Maybe ours were earlier versions and they changed it. We bought them used in the late 80s.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hey Doc, check out TFB TV and a guy named James Reed and the 1911 he would carry.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Griff wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:37 pm
rossim92 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:43 am

Retro Rear Sight

Plain Wide Front Sight

Corrected link: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts ... 20637.aspx
thanks
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

The 1911 is and has been my CCW gun, most often carried for many many years. I prefer the Colt Lightweight Commander to any other models for CCW. Being a revolver guy first, I struggled with the idea of carrying cocked and locked for a long time, even though I had even before then, shot and competed with the 1911 in all sorts of combat matches, etc. But my 1911 at time was set up for match shooting and had a very light trigger. And I also carried it some in a horizontal shoulder holster back then, so I was a little squeamish about a cocked and locked for CCW for a while. I would often carry in condition 2 or even condition 3, and in all fairness, I was pretty good and fast with it in those types of carry. But I also recognized the downsides and pitfalls of that style of carry.

Later on, I acquired a few 1911's with stock triggers and even series 80 style guns. I left the triggers stock, with 4 to 5 lb triggers and eventually, learned to trust cocked and locked for CCW. Now days, and for many years, I have now carried a series 80 Lightweight Commander, cocked and locked in a Milt Sparks Summer Special or sometimes OWB MIlt Sparks holster in all kinds of weather under clothing as light as a thin shirt, and never looked back.
NRA Life Member, Patron
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

JimT wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:28 pm
OldWin wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:19 pm I never would have guessed that there were a few others here. I have a friend that still carries one.
Do you mean on the Star PD? I've not seen one with a plastic recoil spring guide. Mine is metal and the ones I've personally see - not a lot of them mind you - were metal also. I'm sure the plastic one could be replaced with a metal one.

star_pd_recoil_assembly.jpg
my taylor's guide is steel. not sure if you can order from taylor's and company as a replacement my gun is the 70 series.
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JimT wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:59 am I find the 1911 easy to conceal in most any type of weathers.

hide- outside (1).JPG

hide- outside (2).JPG
Jim,
I'm not a big guy at around 180 and 6' tall, so not easy to conceal any of my 1911 style guns. And in the summer I'm often in shorts and a T-shirt, which makes it tougher to conceal them.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Im 6' and 180 but in fairly fit condition and Ive never had a problem concealing a 1911 BUT I dont carry a full size. I prefer a 4" barrel. For me personally, I find that trying to draw a 5" gun from a belt holster is awkward and requires too much shoulder and elbow movement. However the shorter barrel (1" doesnt seem like a lot but try it) allows for a cleaner and less visual draw stroke.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

My favorite carry 1911 and favorite holster. Hides just fine under a shirt.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The usual suspects.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I wish that the Colt lightweight Officers Model would have worked better.

I think Wilson has worked out the kinks in their version and the one I shot for several years worked flawlessly. However, I pinched myself often when reloading (grip frame is too short) and that was certainly a downside when shooting against a clock or other folks.

I think the Commander size is the best compromise and that's what I carry when I tote a 1911. A lightweight aluminum frame is the bees knees for the 9mm version, but I opt for the steel frame in the .45.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:07 am I wish that the Colt lightweight Officers Model would have worked better.

I think Wilson has worked out the kinks in their version and the one I shot for several years worked flawlessly. However, I pinched myself often when reloading (grip frame is too short) and that was certainly a downside when shooting against a clock or other folks.

I think the Commander size is the best compromise and that's what I carry when I tote a 1911. A lightweight aluminum frame is the bees knees for the 9mm version, but I opt for the steel frame in the .45.
I agree.
I tried twice to carry the Officers. First about 25 years ago with a Colt that had been worked over by a retired Colt custom shop guy. It was beautiful and shot well, but the mags DO pinch. I swapped it for the Colt LW Commander in the above pic. It has been a fantastic pistol.
Then, about 10 years ago, I bought a Springfield loaded Micro Compact. It shot ok, but being a LW, was difficult to control when compared to the full frame. I also never quite trusted it, and consequently, didn't carry it much.
My full size Springfield in the picture I have done some work on. I've had it 20 years or so and it has been a loyal friend. Incredibly reliable and an excellent shooter. The Commander in the holster is a cheap ATI steel frame that I use for a woods pistol. Only change it took to make it sing was a Wilson extractor and good springs.

And yes!
I would love to try a LW Commander in 9mm. :D
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I've tried two Colt officers models in the past 20 years. Just too small for me.
Then to the Colt Commander steel frame. It was fairly easy to carry.
Then I got my hands on a new Colt lightweight Commander!
That was it for me. I still rotate with my Sig P228 also.
I would like a Colt Commander in 9mm one day.
If I had to choose, it would be the Colt commander.
Although I'm more accurate with the Sig!
That will most likely change with use.
Johnny
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

The Wilsom EDC X9s are fantastic carry guns
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:16 am My favorite carry 1911 and favorite holster. Hides just fine under a shirt.
As I mentioned, I don't wear a shirt in warm weather. I wear a T shirt, and my 1911 handguns are just big enough a T shirt wont hide the shape, and if someone can see the shape of a handgun there's going to be trouble. So I carry a compact 9mm that is easy to conceal, even when I wear a T shirt.
In cooler weather when I'm wearing more clothing my 1911's are always my first choice.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

rossim92 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:38 pm I just bought a taylor's and company 1911A1fs with parkerized finish. . I haven't shot it , it feels tight and has a nice weight. I have been down sick. But, I have taken it down twice to familarize myself with the cleaning. The hardet part is making sure the pigtail on the barrel is down horizontal with the barrel to put slide lock through when you put it barrel together, being new , it sticks up a bit, but i put a punch through side and align pigtail up with frame hole and the lock slides right on in. I love where the safety is. just feels natural. My cz 75pcr has a decocker in the same place, so muscle memory should be better on both pistols. the only thing i don't like on my is the gi sights. has a very short front ramp and hard to see when aligning with rear sight. I might put a red dot on front or just paint it with sight paint.. anybody have any extra they want to get red of.or a front sight they recommend they recommend to work with the rear sight? the front sight is staked but rear is dovetailed
took my taylor's to the range for break-in shoot. gun performed flawlessly. I was hitting target dead center but about four inches to the left at 25 feet. ( that is good for me) I always shoot left and high . just need a slight rear sight adjustment. the gun came with a bad mag, bought a used mag from the range that was somebody's that worked there ( they didn't have any new mags in stock that would fit my gun). that worked perfectly ( not sure of brand name, no name on the mag). for some reason the factory mag was flared at the top and you can see where it was rubbing inside the mag well. it would not go all the way inside without hanging up i had to push mag back out with my thumb from inside the slide . where I got home the mag follower had popped out from the top of the mag. looked like to me somebody had tried to load mag wrong, like they were pushing ammo in from the top like you do ar mags instead of loading in from the side, and flared the mag. I contacted warranty with taylor's and company, they responded and said they were sending me a new mag. I had to fill out a warranty form and submit a picture of mag. :D
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot