Late Christmas from Lynn Thompson and Simply Rugged.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Late Christmas from Lynn Thompson and Simply Rugged.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

When my old hunting buddy Bill Bagwell died, I stopped carrying the Bowie knife he made for me some over 30 years ago. Bill worked hard to teach me what he knew about handling such a knife and I got to be pretty handy with it.

Months ago I mentioned to fellow Shootist Rob Leahy that I wanted to get a carrying Bowie from Cold Steel but there were none to be had.

Rob got with Lynn (also a Shootist) and they hatched a plan. Lynn donated the knife and Rob got Richard Gittlen in Alaska to make a proper sheath. This arrived in the mail today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Late Christmas from Lynn Thompson and Simply Rugged.

Post by Pitchy »

Super nice Scott, congrats. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Both the forward edge and the clip are so sharp that they will shave hair and the knife is lively enough in the hand to make snapping a back cut effortless.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Scott, must be nice having friends in high places! Beautifully executed knife and sheath. 8)
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Yep, you've got great friends there Scott.
Question ; What's a "carrying Bowie Knife" size wise ? Your older one must be a generous length ?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I don’t think a Bowie Knife works without about a ten inch blade. These knives are similar in length and weight.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You got nice friends... 8)
TraderVic wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:32 pm Yep, you've got great friends there Scott.
Question ; What's a "carrying Bowie Knife" size wise ? Your older one must be a generous length ?
I was wondering the same thing....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:12 pm Both the forward edge and the clip are so sharp that they will shave hair and the knife is lively enough in the hand to make snapping a back cut effortless.
Now THAT is the proper way to set up a Bowie knife! :D

Well, at least that is what my nom de guerre thought! :wink:

So Scott, what is the stud on the shealth for? I'm assuming that is how it hooks to your belt, but honestly, I've never seen that before.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BTW, that looks very much like the Cold Steel Laredo Bowie I got Y2K when he earned his Eagle rank back in 2015 (i.e. - the "pre-perversion days" in Scouting).
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

The stud is to keep the knife and sheath from falling down in your britches. The stud rides just over the top of your belt. I wear a big knife on the weak side with the major cutting edge down so that it is instantly useable when drawn with either hand. When properly broken in, the sheath stays in place and the knife comes out when you pull it.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

If I'm understanding this right, the knife (and sheath) snug into your wasteline inside your pant and belt ?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

TraderVic wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:27 am If I'm understanding this right, the knife (and sheath) snug into your wasteline inside your pant and belt ?
Something like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Ok, was thinking something like that from your description. I guess I've always carried a sheath knife attached to my belt (hanging outside, off the belt). You and others must have a good reason to carry like that.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Congrats on the score. Love them Bowie's even though I have no clue how to fight with one. Midway says they are overdue, but who knows what that means. Glad I snagged mine several years ago.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

TraderVic wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:52 pm You and others must have a good reason to carry like that.
The Bowie Knife was legally prohibited in Texas even before the pistol. And it stayed prohibited long after civilians were legally allowed to carry a pistol.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:05 pm
TraderVic wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:52 pm You and others must have a good reason to carry like that.
The Bowie Knife was legally prohibited in Texas even before the pistol. And it stayed prohibited long after civilians were legally allowed to carry a pistol.
Guessing legality is a blade length issue (?).
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:05 pm
:evil: :evil: :evil:

I do not have that problem in SC. I can pretty much carry any knife of any size/type, openly or concealed. As it should be everywhere.

Thanks for the explanation Scott. I hadn't see that before. Learned something new! :D
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Bowie Knives .... that's the style that makes me stare and drool, then drool and stare even more. Lynn Thompson certainly makes fantastic knives, and Scott's new one is a beauty !!

Here's a custom I got many years ago, made by Robert Hankins .....

and another example, this one made by Dave Wisner at Kelsey Creek Knives .....
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Good looking blade Scott, congrats on an awesome present. How does it compare balance-wise to your Bagwell blade?

Some years back I looked at the Arizona knife laws, just to be sure that I wasn't running afoul of anything. There really aren't many, but it is (or was) illegal to carry a Bowie (specifically named) in Phoenix. I thought that a bit curious, probably been on the books a long time.