weight vs velocity

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldGunny
Levergunner

weight vs velocity

Post by OldGunny »

I'am sure that this topic has been beaten to death but it came home to roost for me this season.1st gun season here in Iowa I got a nice 6 pointer I took him with a 140 grain JHP at about 70 yards,the bullet went through just behind the right shoulder and took both lungs and the heart.I still had to track him about 300 yards.The round was a .357 loaded with * grains of HP38 out of Rossi 20 in 94
I had an anterless tag to fill so on the last day of the season I took a nice mature doe,shot placement was almost the same but the out come was very different.The bullet was a 158 hcswc over 16.5 grains of 2400 the range was almost the same but the out come was unreal she acted like she had been hit by a truck DRT.I know this has been answered many times before but was it weight VS velocity or velocity VS weight that changed the outcomes.I have been hunting Iowa whitetails for 25 years and have never seen such a different result
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: weight vs velocity

Post by Old Savage »

Well, well, well … you will find stories on either side of the issue, have seen it myself. But, people like to think what they want to think. So you will see some reasoning from some that never shot or saw anything shot. It works both ways as you have seen .., let he games begin.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

OR ... instead of the weight vs velocity perhaps it was the state of (mind - emotion - whatever the proper term would be) the animal was in at the time it was shot.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That certainly plays a part.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Every animal acts differently when shot as well. I shot a big buck with a 158 grain jsp who acted like an anvil fell on him. Then he got up, staggered off into woods, I could see blood pouring out of him and he was breathing really hard. It poured rain so i hired a tracking dog the next day. We trailed that buck for over a mile. Then we found him walking with a bunch of doe. He is still alive, I get him.on trail.camera and can see the hole I blew in his chest. I used the same load on a old doe and she dropped like she was hit by lightning. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Over the last forty five years I’ve kept a ledger/journal of all the deer I’ve killed , date time yardage reaction cartridge gun etc . Out of 350 or so deer only one thing is etched in stone reactions of shot deer shot in the virtual same spot with the same cartridge/load or others will not always react the same . Many is the deer I’ve shot standing still browsing on something that was DRT as well as many in the same scenario ran up to fifty yards and dropped . I’ve had several that were standing still but pumped up because I’d already killed one or more with them and when I fired at them they acted as if I’d missed then I’d shoot a second shot as they’d not moved and they fell over , after skinning I’d find to entry holes usually pretty close together . Shotguns with buckshot or slugs fall into this as well , I’ve floorboarded moving deer with both and I’ve shot still deer with the same loads and they may run fifty yards and be dead when I found them . I need to backup there’s a second thing I thinks etched in stone as well , if you put a projectile from rifle handgun or shotgun in the skull cavity containing the brain they hit the ground PDQ .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

See this parallel thread - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82975&sid=0ff9de004 ... 641b431f6

(...of course the physicists here will point out 'weight' is NOT the same as 'mass'... :wink:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Welcome to the twilight zone 8)
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
OldGunny
Levergunner

Post by OldGunny »

Thanks guys.When my hunting buddies and I were dressing out our deer we checked wound cannels on my deer .They were very similar and after reading your replies Iam now of the mind that all things being the same the out come is not the same.Thanks for the input

OldGunny