My 8 Year Old Got His First Deer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

My 8 Year Old Got His First Deer

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thought I would share this hear since you guy can appreciate that it was taken with a Winchester 94 in 30-30.

My 8 year old who has already been an avid hunter of many things for a while now started deer hunting last season. He did not get one last season but on Dec 26 of this year on his first deer hunt of the season he was able to get his first deer. A nice group of 5 doe deer came down the hill a little before dark. They were walking a quick pace headed from left to right and he waited for one to pause and he put one in her shoulder. The round came out of her neck on the other side. She ran about 10 yards or so and dropped. He was so pumped and I was so pround.

On a side note;

The place where we like to hunt is on our family land. There is a ridge in the woods that deer normally travel on their way to bed down and eat acorns. I have always been pretty lucky in this spot and have harvested many deer over my life there. I took my first deer on that ridge while walking to my spot many years ago. My oldest son took his first deer on that ridge sitting with me in a deer stand in December 15, 2012 when he was 11 years old. He is 20 now.

My youngest took his deer on December 26, 2021 at 8 years old and we were sitting in the same stand and the deer he harvest paused in front of the same tree that my older son's first deer was shot. They shot their deer in front of the same tree and we all three shot our first deer on the same hill. I think that is a neat fact.

Also, if you happen to have Instagram please feel free to check him out on NathansOutdoorAdventures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Re: My 8 Year Old Got His First Deer

Post by JimT »

EXCELLENT! That's fine shooting Nathan! Congratulations.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Congratulations to you both!
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That's wonderful and a story rich in family tradition to boot! Thanks for sharing and congratulations!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Congratulations all around. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We should have a "Levergunner of the Year award" Nathan would win this year !! Thanks for letting Us All share. :D .
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Awesome!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations young man and a great story from your Pa.... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Great family tradition! Nice story on the history.

Very nice shooting, congrats is in order for sure.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Most excellent! Congratulations young man.
Your choice of weapon cannot be beat.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thank you all for the nice comments. Last season we did everything right and never got a good shot. This hunt we forgot our hunting box with most of our gear in it. Had to scrounge to even find him an orange hat. He was going to use a shotgun but the shells were in our box that we forgot. We did not have any of our heavy coats but luckily it was not very cold. The property is secluded and way away from any stores or other people so we could not just go buy new stuff. Everything was seeming to go wrong but the hunt went perfect.

Now he wants his own 30-30 so I get to buy a new gun. :mrgreen:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Congratulations! I'm sure that first deer will be a hunt both of you always remember!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Put together a short video.

https://youtu.be/iIJbPj4fFjo
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's fantastic. brings back memories. love the family continuity, that's a treasure.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

You need to update his "About" page on IG, he's 8 now. :) Looking forward to his future adventures. It's great to see the next generation coming along!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

So I see two rifles in the video, one scoped and one open sighted - which did he use for the shot he took?
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
m.A.g.a. !
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Rube Burrows wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:14 am Thought I would share this hear since you guy can appreciate that it was taken with a Winchester 94 in 30-30.

My 8 year old who has already been an avid hunter of many things for a while now started deer hunting last season. He did not get one last season but on Dec 26 of this year on his first deer hunt of the season he was able to get his first deer. A nice group of 5 doe deer came down the hill a little before dark. They were walking a quick pace headed from left to right and he waited for one to pause and he put one in her shoulder. The round came out of her neck on the other side. She ran about 10 yards or so and dropped. He was so pumped and I was so pround.

On a side note;

The place where we like to hunt is on our family land. There is a ridge in the woods that deer normally travel on their way to bed down and eat acorns. I have always been pretty lucky in this spot and have harvested many deer over my life there. I took my first deer on that ridge while walking to my spot many years ago. My oldest son took his first deer on that ridge sitting with me in a deer stand in December 15, 2012 when he was 11 years old. He is 20 now.

My youngest took his deer on December 26, 2021 at 8 years old and we were sitting in the same stand and the deer he harvest paused in front of the same tree that my older son's first deer was shot. They shot their deer in front of the same tree and we all three shot our first deer on the same hill. I think that is a neat fact.

Also, if you happen to have Instagram please feel free to check him out on NathansOutdoorAdventures
freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what's missing in america now. family and family get togethers for the good stuff. I finally went goose hunting with my sil . first time for me! A lot of early am work to set up decoys, but, when they come in, it all happens so fast. we have bagged 16 geese this year. They taste like roast beef if you do it right with our recipe. Dr. pepper, white apple cider vinegar, barbecue sauce and strawberry jelly in a crock pot. just an ot. with my family, my grandfather first name is woodrow , his youngest son midddle is woodrow, my middle is woodrow, my son middle is woodrow, my grandson middle is woodrow. i hope i get to live long enough te see a great grandson with middle name woodrow. that would make me prouder then a peacock. I'm sure you are of your boys!
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

That deer is a real dandy! Congrats to that young man, he is on a good trail!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Congratulations 🎉🎈🍾
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's pretty cool. Sounds like last year he proved himself a good hunter by turning down bad shots. This year he got his reward for his patience.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

AmBraCol wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:00 pm You need to update his "About" page on IG, he's 8 now. :) Looking forward to his future adventures. It's great to see the next generation coming along!
Thanks. Updated. This boy is growing too fast. :lol:
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

AmBraCol wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:05 pm So I see two rifles in the video, one scoped and one open sighted - which did he use for the shot he took?

He used the one with no scope. The old Marlin is one that I had with me but is to heavy for him to lug around. The Winchester 94 AE Ranger is a perfect size for him.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Ray wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:06 pm a hearty and sincere bravo zulu for you both.....

b.t.w. small world. I had already watched your uberti walker and pietta 1858 videos not knowing they were written, produced, directed and starring one of our very own.....
Awesome. Thanks for watching.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

rossim92 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:09 pm
Rube Burrows wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:14 am Thought I would share this hear since you guy can appreciate that it was taken with a Winchester 94 in 30-30.

On a side note;

freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what's missing in america now. family and family get togethers for the good stuff. I finally went goose hunting with my sil . first time for me! A lot of early am work to set up decoys, but, when they come in, it all happens so fast. we have bagged 16 geese this year. They taste like roast beef if you do it right with our recipe. Dr. pepper, white apple cider vinegar, barbecue sauce and strawberry jelly in a crock pot. just an ot. with my family, my grandfather first name is woodrow , his youngest son midddle is woodrow, my middle is woodrow, my son middle is woodrow, my grandson middle is woodrow. i hope i get to live long enough te see a great grandson with middle name woodrow. that would make me prouder then a peacock. I'm sure you are of your boys!

That is pretty awesome in itself. Love when a family can keep a tradition going on.

I have yet to bag a goose. We went on a Duck/Goose hunt last year. Got some ducks but the Geese were flying at such a high altitude and had no plans to stop at our spot.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:19 pm .
That's pretty cool. Sounds like last year he proved himself a good hunter by turning down bad shots. This year he got his reward for his patience.

Yes sir. He's a good kid who loves to hunt but also has already shown a respect for what he hunts.

Thanks for all of the nice comments guys. I let him read over some of them last night. He's a proud little fellow right now.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Congratulations, He looks pretty happy and that is a WIN.
It is not the critic who counts
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Rube Burrows wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:23 am
AmBraCol wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:05 pm So I see two rifles in the video, one scoped and one open sighted - which did he use for the shot he took?

He used the one with no scope. The old Marlin is one that I had with me but is to heavy for him to lug around. The Winchester 94 AE Ranger is a perfect size for him.
Wooohooo! Way to go! Glaucoma in one eye and a damaged retina in the other have me reaching for glass sighted rifles more often than not, but my heart is with open sights. It's good to see young'uns learning to use the old system. Far too many start with scope sighted rifles and never learn there's a simpler way.
Paul - in Pereira

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Awesome! Congrats! Enjoy this age... it goes by WAY too fast!!!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is really awesome!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Super Cool!. My son shot his first deer in the same spot I shot mine on the family farm. Mine 1977 his 2012.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

🤗🤗🤗
Congratulations to the youngun! He skunked me this year.