Winchester Model 70; .250-3000 made in 1948

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester Model 70; .250-3000 made in 1948

Post by 2ndovc »

Got a call from my dad last night. He said to go open the brown rifle case that he'd left with us before heading to FL for the winter.
I called him back and asked if he was looking for the Model 70. He then says "Merry Christmas, it's yours!" Didn't know what to say for a few seconds and finally squeaked out a "Wow!".

The Winchester was my grandfather's favorite hunting rifle for his trips out west for antelope. He had it's twin in .257 Roberts, but that was stolen from my uncle's house in the '70s.
I know he bought it new, but he had it modified a bit for what he wanted. He had the sights removed and sling swivels added. My dad later changed them to a quick detach style. I still have the original Redfield scope, but it had seen better days and my dad put the new Leupold on it a few years ago. The matte finish on the scope doesn't really look like it belongs there, so I'll swap it out for something that looks a little more classic.
I've had the little binoculars since my grandfather passed away, he took them everywhere and they are still nice and clear. The National Match will be the Winchester's counterpart from now on. They both loved the 1911 and the first centerfire pistols I'd ever shot.

Anyway, sorry for the long story!

Merry Christmas Guys!!

Jason 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester Model 70; .250-3000 made in 1948

Post by M. M. Wright »

SWEET!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A prize for sure!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

"Anyway, sorry for the long story!".........I wish it would have been a lot longer....My Old Friend who passed away several years ago had dozens of Savage 99's in every caliber. His favorite was a .250-3000 , it had a little mirror behind the front sight to illuminate the bead. One day I was at His house and He pulled out an 8x10" picture of His Uncle Shooting that Gun after WW2. He had been a G.I. in Europe during the War and Loved that Rifle.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Very nice! Now THAT'S a Merry Christmas.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Dad had one, but i don't know the maker of the bolt action rifle. It was his favorite and we both loved shooting it. Merry Christmas indeed!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

A classic caliber in a classic rifle with family history from the beginning. What a story and a most excellent Christmas present from your Dad.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Very Nice, Heirloom Rifles are the best!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

.45colt wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:15 pm "Anyway, sorry for the long story!".........I wish it would have been a lot longer....My Old Friend who passed away several years ago had dozens of Savage 99's in every caliber. His favorite was a .250-3000 , it had a little mirror behind the front sight to illuminate the bead. One day I was at His house and He pulled out an 8x10" picture of His Uncle Shooting that Gun after WW2. He had been a G.I. in Europe during the War and Loved that Rifle.
I'll have to get some pictures together, we have a few pretty cool shots.
Grandpa was quite a character, he left home at 14 and got a job as a fireman on a railroad. A few years later, he joined the Border Patron in AZ during part of the prohibition years. He didn't care for Arizona and came back to Ohio to take over the family construction company. He did that until he retired and passed away in '75. I was only seven at the time, but I always enjoyed being at their house on the lake. Most of the best stories about him came from my dad and his brothers.

He was always a big fan of the .25 cal rifles, I have his Arisaka that he had made into .257 Roberts sporter. He always carried a gun, usually a 1911. One of my favorite stories was one my dad told me. A couple of guys came into their office one day to "organize" their company, grandpa opened his desk drawer, took out a S&W 1917 and set it on the desk in front of him. Told the two goons that they were in the wrong place and he'd be da**ed if they thought they were going to beat up an old man! Just about everyone in the building had a gun in their desk, They'd built a pistol range in the basement!

You all are going to tell me if you want more stories. :D

jb 8)

Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

WOW is right! Christmas dont get much better than that.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

more stories please
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

WOW IS RIGHT....indeed!
very nice! The best shooters are the one's from dad!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Great guns and even greater stories and family history!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys!!

I'll have to have my dad write down a few, but above is a picture of my grandfather on the Border Patrol in the '20s.
He was issued a Colt 1917 and a mule. If they wanted a rifle, they had to provide their own. The Savage 99 is an interesting choice but not surprising as he was a nut about accuracy. My dad thinks it was a .250 Savage as well, but we believe he sold it before returning to OH.
the man on the left was his partner, George Parker. We were told George was quite a character himself and involved in several shootings along the border. Grandpa never told anyone if he'd been involved in any, but I have deformed 7mm FMJ that he had found on the road in a small village after a shootout with some raiders that had come across the border. I'll have to get a picture of that.

Relly looking forward to shooting the Model 70 again. My dad's always been very protective of this one and I've only shot it a few times.
Digging through some of grandpa's .250 reloads, I have a couple of boxes of brass formed from military ammo over stamped with .250 SAV.

Jason

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thats a Christmas present if ever there was one! Looking forward to a range report.

Its great to have guns with family history . My grandfather was a Justice of the Peace, his guns are in the Carson City museum.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

That’s a beautiful rifle
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Dang! :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:47 am Thats a Christmas present if ever there was one! Looking forward to a range report.

Its great to have guns with family history . My grandfather was a Justice of the Peace, his guns are in the Carson City museum.
That's cool!

My Great Great Grandfather Ezra was part of the Second Ohio Vol. Cavalry, Company H. He mustered out as a Sargent then went home to Brighton, OH. He had a Spencer SRC during the war and a couple of revolvers, but we don't know what. He became the town marshal after the war for several years. I wish we had more of his history, but it's been lost over the years. Our family has been in northern Ohio for a very long time.

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey that's a great piece of history too!
Oh how did the Wrangler go over? Did your son love it?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

He did. I'm hoping it's fairly decent next weekend so we can go out to my friend's farm and try it out. We're going to start with easy stuff. He loves to shoot plastic jugs full of water. I saw a guy on the net the other day shooting frozen water jugs, I wondered why I never thought of that. I'll be sure to take some pictures.
Thanks for asking Will.

Jason 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A happy kid is a happy Dad!
Guess the frozen jugs 'last' a bit longer, Ice chunks fly apart for more eye catching fun too! Ought to be a fun time.
Was talking about a .22 shoot for our club today. Im gonna start putting together a bunch of targets, peices of plate steel, maybe get some spinners ya know stuff that makes noise and see if I can get these guys off their duffs for some fun! Of course ill have to do some test shooting for myself first. :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:55 pm A happy kid is a happy Dad!
Guess the frozen jugs 'last' a bit longer, Ice chunks fly apart for more eye catching fun too! Ought to be a fun time.
Was talking about a .22 shoot for our club today. Im gonna start putting together a bunch of targets, peices of plate steel, maybe get some spinners ya know stuff that makes noise and see if I can get these guys off their duffs for some fun! Of course ill have to do some test shooting for myself first. :D
Way ahead of you on the flying ice chips. We'll be carful, and start much farther back. :D

jb 8)

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Wow, when you open the case could you smell the deer camp your Grandpa had? What a treasure. Hope you report on it soon.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!