sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

sights

Post by rossim92 »

just bought a new taylor's 1911 from taylor's tactical in .45acp. it has the gi sights on it. once i get it out prison and see how it shoots ,( i always shoot high) i might need a set of tritium sights for it. the factory sights are the stake style on the front and tendon style on the rear. any good thoughts on sights for 1911's i would like adjustable ones for the rear. its just a plinker and for home defense, I really like big bore handguns ( I already have my cz pcr in 9mm for that)
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: sights

Post by 2ndovc »

Take a wander through brownells.com. Bet something you like will jump out at you.

That reminds me, I need to order a new set of Trijicon''s for my 4006.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Not sure if they are still made, but I had a Millet adjustable on a custom Colt Officers I used to carry. It required the slide to be machined, however. Most options do. It was a good sight, but I still prefer Novak fixed.
The front was a matching Millet that was a staked setup, like the original.
I've never had an issue with the original staked fronts, but if having sights done, I would ALWAYS go with a front dovetail cut. Much superior in regards to adjustability and security.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Dovetail the front for security! I shot IPSC long enough to see a few fly off.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My favorite handgun sights for rapid acquisition are actually large-aperture sights like the ones they make for Ruger that replace the rear sight blade. They have proven to continue to work well as my eyes age, and yet in addition to being quick to acquire, take an extra half second or so and you can draw a very fine and accurate bead as well.

I have never set up that kind of sight on a 1911 however... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

M. M. Wright wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:10 pm Dovetail the front for security! I shot IPSC long enough to see a few fly off.
Ditto! Plus it gives a wider selection of front sights if the slide is dovetailed.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Before you fool with it see how the factory sights work.......

If it's for home defense why fool with adjustable sights...it's just more sharp edges to get hung up on.....my Colts are standard government models and will hit beer cans at 50 yards and I can make them dance at 100.....

At most, just paint the front sight with a bright white sight paint.

You only need "minute of upper torso" accuracy......

In a defense gun, keep it simple and for plinking it don't matter, beer cans don't shoot back.----006
Model A Uzi’s
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:54 am Before you fool with it see how the factory sights work.......

If it's for home defense why fool with adjustable sights...it's just more sharp edges to get hung up on.....my Colts are standard government models and will hit beer cans at 50 yards and I can make them dance at 100.....

At most, just paint the front sight with a bright white sight paint.

You only need "minute of upper torso" accuracy......

In a defense gun, keep it simple and for plinking it don't matter, beer cans don't shoot back.----006
that what i had planned to do, see how it points first and go from there. i agrre on holster snag on bigger sights. thanks for input guys.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Red dot sights work best for me. Easy on the eyes and very accurate. With a little practice they are faster for me than irons. Most of mine are milled for the red dot but my 1911 is a dovetail mount. They are very reliable and strong. Sage Dynamics Youtube videos have a lot of good info on them....
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

GI sights are really not that bad, I like them on some of my 45's. Night sights really are not worth a stuff for much in my opinion. Adjustable BoMar style rear sights are nice on a 1911 for target shooting and general use, with a black post up front, dovetailed is good.

My favorite and the one that works the best for me in most lighting is a fixed rear high profile and a post up front all with white dots. Just plain white 3 dot sights, Some Colts come that way. I have a Colt Lightweight Commander that came that way from the factory. It's my main carry gun.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

A dovetail sight cut at the front of the slide does simplify mounting night sights.

If visible sights are all you need, there are several options that work with the GI front sight cut.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/stakin ... ont-sight/

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well.... little bit of drift....and, I'm going to stick my butt out so everyone can kick it, but here goes.

I hate 3 dot sights, I hate ANYTHING on the rear sight especially, and only see night sights main value as a wartime tool.

Dots pull your focus away from where it should be. The borders of the front sight. Dots or outlines on the rear split your focus even more. Many Dots, when aligned, don't align the actual sights, and are more difficult to align precisely. "Doesn't matter at combat distance", you say?
Well then you don't need them anyway.
I have instructed more than one person who complained about handgun groups to take a sharpie to their Dots and focus on their front sight. They got instant results.

Night sights? Sales gimmick on a carry gun. If you can't even see your freakin sights, you surely can't positively ID someone you intend to kill. What you need is a light. This ID'S the target, and perfectly silhouettes your sights as long as the light isn't behind them.

Sight alignment matters.
If your so close that it doesn't, then neither do the sights, so don't give up longer range precision.

Go ahead.... blast me! :D
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

OldWin wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:26 am Well.... little bit of drift....and, I'm going to stick my butt out so everyone can kick it, but here goes.

I hate 3 dot sights, I hate ANYTHING on the rear sight especially, and only see night sights main value as a wartime tool.

Dots pull your focus away from where it should be. The borders of the front sight. Dots or outlines on the rear split your focus even more. Many Dots, when aligned, don't align the actual sights, and are more difficult to align precisely. "Doesn't matter at combat distance", you say?
I have instructed more than one person who complained about handgun groups to take a sharpie to their Dots and focus on their front sight. They got instant results.

Night sights? Sales gimmick on a carry gun. If you can't even see your freakin sights, you surely can't positively ID someone you intend to kill. What you need is a light. This ID'S the target, and perfectly silhouettes your sights as long as the light isn't behind them.

Sight alignment matters.
If your so close that it doesn't, then neither do the sights, so don't give up longer range precision.
For the range, in the sun solid black sights are the best. The 3 dot sights I have on one Colt are really good in most other lights, so better for CCW, better than black sights or even night sights. Night sights only work well if it's really dark, then target identification is difficult, at that point. Night sights have their place but IMHO, it's limited.

There's lots of 3 dot sights, some are terrible, but some are pretty good.
NRA Life Member, Patron
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Lastmohecken wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:28 pm
OldWin wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:26 am Well.... little bit of drift....and, I'm going to stick my butt out so everyone can kick it, but here goes.

Sight alignment matters.
For the range, in the sun solid black sights are the best. The 3 dot sights I have on one Colt are really good in most other lights, so better for CCW, better than black sights or even night sights. Night sights only work well if it's really dark, then target identification is difficult, at that point. Night sights have their place but IMHO, it's limited.

There's lots of 3 dot sights, some are terrible, but some are pretty good.
My Colt LW Commander has them. It's the earlier "Enchanced" model. Those are terrible. When the dots align, the sights aren't. I have a Springfield with them also. Those are better, but I still don't care for them. A case can be made (for me) for a dot on the front sight. But I don't like anything on the rear, and usually black them out.

Glock sights are just awful. I replaced mine with Warren Sevigny black serated with a wider rear notch. It allows better front alignment with a little light on the sides.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, you Gents got me thinking about replacing the "discharged" Mepro Light night sights on my Kimber 1911 with fixed sights in 10mm. I decided to spend my Christmas present money from relatives on a set of these, they look promising. They use both a Tritium cell and a fiber optic rod in a hermetically sealed chamber with contrasting orange around the front sight and a u-shaped grove for sight alignment on the rear. Should be bright under all conditions. Hopefully I can install it myself with my front sight adjusting tool. Surprisingly I found it on Amazon even.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018IP4BC6?ps ... yp_imgToDp

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel