Ruger Wrangler

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger Wrangler

Post by 2ndovc »

After Jim's post about Ruger's new Sheriff style Wrangler I thought I'd take another look at these little revolvers. Though, not one for cheap guns, I looked a couple over a few days ago and thought it would make a nice little Christmas present for our oldest. I've mentioned Quentin here before, he's autistic and has some slight cognitive issues, but he's a great kid. He's very functional, just gets hung up on some things but a whole lot smarter than most people give him credit for. He's a killer with his Savage MKII and last Christmas I gave him my mom's Mossberg 410 pump that he really loves to shoot. The little Sheriff's model hasn't hit any shops around here yet, but I picked up one of the 4 3/4" models.
I think he will get a big kick out of it. The single action is simple enough so I know he won't have a problem remembering how it works.
If he likes it, I'll get him something nicer after this one gets some use. If not, I get a new revolver.

Now I have to go wrap it up before I start shooting it. :D
jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ruger Wrangler

Post by TraderVic »

Looks like a great "starter" revolver, maybe a good prerequisite to a similar single six in the future.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Only thing better than a puppy under the tree is a new gun! Wait i think i have that backwards :D ?
I'm sure he is gonna love it. Such a good dad!
The only thing I'm not fond of on these are the colors they decided on, guess I just like blued . Please tell us how it shoots!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's the plan. If he likes shooting it, we'll get him a Single six but he may be perfectly happy with this one if it shoots well. He's had his Savage for years and I've asked him a couple of times if he wanted to get a nicer .22 rifle. He just smiles and says he like the one he's got. :D

AS far as the colors, I would have picked the black one as well, but he's such a visual guy I thought he would like something that looks a little different.

jb 8)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, I'm sure that little shooter will put a smile on Quentin's face come Christmas morning. 8)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's the part I'm looking forward to the most I think. He was such a huge help this summer while we spent just about every weekend rehabbing one of our rental properties. That particular house had been such a big pain in my side we decided to take advantage of this market and put it up for sale. He did a lot of the grunt work that I just can't do anymore. I think half of the gifts under the tree this year have his name on them. Bubbles is making sure he's taken care of. :D

jb 8)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, he sounds like a fine young man. Congratulations, Dad. 8)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

As a kid I think I'd have preferred the 2-tone finish, as long as it was in a muted natural tone like that; bright colors look like toys and real guns shouldn't look like toys. That gold/bronze is nice though.

I'm guessing that functionally it is probably just a Single Six, only with some less sturdy alloys here and there. Nothing wrong with that in an introductory firearm. if he shoots it enough to start wearing it out, then he definitely needs the all-steel Single Six.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Bill, that's very nice of you to say.

Doc,

You hit that one right on the head. Some of the newer color combinations, not just the Wranglers but many other manufacturers are making some of their firearms look very much like toys. I hope that doesn't begin to contribute to more accidental/ negligent shootings.
I'm guilty of owning a few FDE pistols, but we don't have any little ones in the house. When our little granddaughter starts walking and talking, the whole house will get a safety workover.
As far as the burnt bronze Wrangler goes, there is far more steel in there than I thought. The barrel ( I originally thought they were sleeved) and cylinder are steel and much heavier than expected. If he likes it, I'll ask if he would like a similar color pattern on his Savage MKII.

Thanks again guys. I hesitated making this post as I was sure I'd get bashed for "cheap" guns, ugly guns or whatever the flavor is for the Rant of the day.

jb 8)

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

How a mechanical device of any kind is treated and maintained is far more important than how much money is spent. given proper cleaning and care the Wrangler will probably last several lifetimes. In todays world shooting opportunities are nothing like they were fifty years ago. I may very well buy one Myself. :) .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Y2K's first handgun was a Ruger Bearcat (Old Model). Similar concept. Can't go wrong starting a youngster with a .22 - first a rifle, then a handgun. They will be hooked for life! :D
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I bought one not too long ago and have shot 50-60 rounds through it. It seems to be smoothing out just fine. The cylinder free wheels once the loading gate is opened so that is something to get used to but not a deal breaker. You do have to manually move the cylinder till it clicks once you have loaded it and shut the gate or it won't cock. Mine showed a definite preference for Federal semi auto match over the browning ammo I also shot. I think it's a good deal and think you both will enjoy it.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool,

I'm hoping the weather isn't too bad this weekend to get out to my friends farm.

I'll be sure to take some pictures. :D

jb 8)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very spiffy, but with my Single Six with 2 cyl, I don't want one. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Blaine wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:17 pm Very spiffy, but with my Single Six with 2 cyl, I don't want one. :wink:
Well since I didn't buy it for you, you won't have to worry about it. :D

As for the Single Six, out of the three I've owned not one could hit the side of a barn from inside the barn. If this little revolver works properly and can hit a milk jug at 20'-30' then it has done what I needed to do instead of spending 3x as much for the same outcome. Good or bad.

jb 8)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:14 pm
Blaine wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:17 pm Very spiffy, but with my Single Six with 2 cyl, I don't want one. :wink:
Well since I didn't buy it for you, you won't have to worry about it. :D

As for the Single Six, out of the three I've owned not one could hit the side of a barn from inside the barn. If this little revolver works properly and can hit a milk jug at 20'-30' then it has done what I needed to do instead of spending 3x as much for the same outcome. Good or bad.

jb 8)
You were unlucky...or a bad shot :shock: I can make pop cans at 100 yards very, very uncomfortable, if not hit them outright.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

This look like I'm a bad shot big boy?

4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Now that depends on the distance shot? :D
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:39 pm This look like I'm a bad shot big boy?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now, back off to 100 yards....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I hit a running woodchuck at 100 yds with a Hi Power. You want to give a run?

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:28 pm I hit a running woodchuck at 100 yds with a Hi Power. You want to give a run?
You shot the very first 10 foot woodchuck known to man??? :o :o :o :lol:
( Ok, I'll lay off the eggnog, Brother)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Whats the verdict? Does he like it, does it shoot good and whats your latest assessment of it?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

3leggedturtle wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:59 pm Whats the verdict? Does he like it, does it shoot good and whats your latest assessment of it?
He thinks it's pretty cool. We haven't had it out shooting yet, unfortunately. Between the weather and schedules, just haven't been able to line up a trip out to the farm. It's supposed to be sunny and clear on Sunday, so we might give it a try. It's still going to be pretty cold and I don't want to rush it and sour him on shooting a handgun. One thing I've had to learn, he's not the same kid his brother is. Anything Justin gets into, he's immediately good at. Quentin can do whatever his brother can, it just requires a lot more patience.

jb 8)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, looking forward to your range report once you can get your son and his Wrangler out to the farm. You're a "lucky pup" (f anyone remembers that phrase) to have such a lovely place to escape to! 8)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Bill!

We got about 4"-5" of snow last night and it blowing 20-30 mph today. Looks like it's going to be a while before we get out to do any shooting.

jb 8)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:28 pm Thanks Bill!

We got about 4"-5" of snow last night and it blowing 20-30 mph today. Looks like it's going to be a while before we get out to do any shooting.

jb 8)
Trade you! We got 1/2" - 1" of ice. First time ever I couldn't get out of the neighborhood. Almost made it up the hill three times, and started sliding backward just before I crested the hill. After the third attempt I just back down the hill and back into the driveway. Didn't need to be out that bad!