Playing With Primers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Playing With Primers

Post by JimT »

Well ... with a few primers.
I was cleaning up my old brass .. the throw-away stuff. Splits, cracks and messed up somehow so it can't be reloaded. I deprime all of 'em and keep them in a container. If the primers are not fired and the shell is not bent up so badly I can't get it out, I keep the old primers and repurpose them in practice ammo. If the cases are too screwed up to get the primer out or if they are Berdan primers, I put them in the vise and turn the torch on 'em and pop the primers.

Messing around this morning I decided to see what the primers would do if I crimped the case mouth shut. I set up a piece of 2x4 about 1" from the case locked in the vise and turned on the torch. I did this for each case listed.
IMG_2906.JPG
I don't know that it proved anything. The Ruskie cartridges were military and the primers were crimped in. That may have made a difference, though I am just guessing. The 5.56 was the only one that buried itself deep enough that t he cup is still in the 2x4. The 40 S&W came close.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Playing With Primers

Post by Griff »

Well, if nothing else, you way seems more fun that simply dropping the decapped primers in oil. I can run the primed case up in the decap/sizer die and never set one off. On the Dillon 550C I can smash them flat sideways, and they don't go off... but...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Griff wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:50 pm Well, if nothing else, you way seems more fun that simply dropping the decapped primers in oil. I can run the primed case up in the decap/sizer die and never set one off. On the Dillon 550C I can smash them flat sideways, and they don't go off... but...
Oil does not always stop primers from firing. Lee Jurras demonstrated that by having primers that soaked for several days in oil and then having them still fire, though that is probably the exception. I demonstrate to new reloaders that it is a sharp blow that sets primers off. Crushing them will not do it unless it is fast. I take a primer, squash it totally flat in a vise slowly. Then rap the vise with a small hammer and the primer pops.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Small rifle/ pistol fit nicely in a 177 airgun, even more fun to shoot them at something hard! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i toss em in the fire, or fire em at the fire, but Jim's setup looks interesting
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I do keep all the primers I can punch out. They are fine for plinking ammo. But depriming Berdan stuff is hard and when it is a live primer I pop them. I also turn the torch on all primers that have been struck by the firing pin but never went off. Most of the time those primers will fire, even though a firing pin strike did not set them off.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Griff wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:50 pm Well, if nothing else, you way seems more fun that simply dropping the decapped primers in oil. I can run the primed case up in the decap/sizer die and never set one off. On the Dillon 550C I can smash them flat sideways, and they don't go off... but...
Glad I'm not the only one that smashes the odd primer on a Dillon. It used to be annoying, but now that they're stupid expensive it's something more than that.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

One of the joys of reloading is just plain playing around !
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What I don't understand is how do live primers get into damaged/worn out/split cases? I can understand a dozen or two in a lifetime as sometimes we don't always check for major splits. It's common when breaking down ammo that the load was bad but "damaged" cases?

I'm sitting on a quarter million primers (285,000) I've been saving since 1981. Before that I used to throw them out but realized they are copper so I started saving them.

Did you know primers are made from c-4 explosive? At least dats what I was toad.---005
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:33 pm What I don't understand is how do live primers get into damaged/worn out/split cases? I can understand a dozen or two in a lifetime as sometimes we don't always check for major splits. It's common when breaking down ammo that the load was bad but "damaged" cases?

I'm sitting on a quarter million primers (285,000) I've been saving since 1981. Before that I used to throw them out but realized they are copper so I started saving them.

Did you know primers are made from c-4 explosive? At least dats what I was toad.---005
I pick up all the loaded ammo I find on the range. It's amazing what people drop. And there are always rounds that were snapped on several times but never fired. Some get driven on by vehicles and are dented and bent. I salvage the bullets and the primers if I can. With .22's I salvage the bullets and powder. The brass cases are tossed into a container and I will trade them in for lead at the metal recycler one of these days.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jim,
Are you trying to tell me you will salvage a primer from a damaged loaded round that someone ran over which was probably in the rain......give me your address, I'll send you some fresh primers in their factory packaging. :D

You pick up pennies on the ground in a parking lot?

At our club it's rare to even find fired cases unless it's that junky Russian steel stuff.----006 a.k.a. Mr. Primer

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:46 pm Jim,
Are you trying to tell me you will salvage a primer from a damaged loaded round that someone ran over which was probably in the rain......give me your address, I'll send you some fresh primers in their factory packaging. :D

You pick up pennies on the ground in a parking lot?

At our club it's rare to even find fired cases unless it's that junky Russian steel stuff.----006 a.k.a. Mr. Primer
Sure. Some were even under water for awhile. And they still work! I collect a few rounds most times I go to the range. Toss them in a box. Maybe 6 or 8 months or longer I run them through the cleaner and salvage what I can. I like the .22's people drop. Gives me lots of great powder for reloading .22's. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh,man...TWO things...your either cheap or living in 1930.

I know your pulling my leg...By the way, what are you doing up this late? Did you have your milk and cookies yet? :D

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:10 am Oh,man...TWO things...your either cheap or living in 1930.
I know your pulling my leg...By the way, what are you doing up this late? Did you have your milk and cookies yet? :D
I enjoy playing with all kinds of ammo.
I have plenty of good primers and powder. This other stuff is just fun.

No milk and cookies. Eggnog & rye whiskey.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea...me too Jim....I enjoy ammo as much as guns....everything involved with guns......probably narrow minded but oh well, it's my life. Casting bullets, reforming cases, shooting them, working on them, trans Atlantic them...everything :D

I do miss a good three fingers of Wild Turkey 101 bourbon..straight.......inner ear problems and dependence makes me abstain.....

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Jim...try a shotgun primer or a 50 BMG like I did in the garage one time......had the empty in the vise and whacked it with a center punch.......Must be 10x the power of a regular primer......piece of it came back up through my forefinger that took about 6 months to heal.....

I know, candidate for the Darwin Awards....

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

If this is what you do as a wise old owl, it’s a wonder you made it through puberty! :wink:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Speaking of primers, I witnessed an interesting occurrence a few weeks ago. My silhouette shooting partner was firing a Marlin .32-20 and had a round that popped the Winchester Small Pistol primer but did not fire the round. Inspection revealed that the primer (loaded on a Dillon 550) was seated in the pocket sideways. I was very surprised that it worked at all!

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Shasta wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:42 am Speaking of primers, I witnessed an interesting occurrence a few weeks ago. My silhouette shooting partner was firing a Marlin .32-20 and had a round that popped the Winchester Small Pistol primer but did not fire the round. Inspection revealed that the primer (loaded on a Dillon 550) was seated in the pocket sideways. I was very surprised that it worked at all!

Shasta
I've managed to do that with a hand priming tool. Can't imagine how badly I'd screw up by trying to do it high volume at speed. :o
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com