What's the lowest price you paid...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

What's the lowest price you paid...

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Didn't want to hijack Jim's thread on .22's (current pricing). https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... =1&t=82716

But that got me thinking. What's the cheapest price you paid for .22's?

I have a couple old bricks (500 rounds) of Winchester Wildcats that I bought from K-Mart around 1996-ish on sale for $7.99/brick.

Sigh...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: What's the lowest price you paid...

Post by AJMD429 »

Same here; Wildcats $8/500 so 1.6 cents each.

...don't ask what the MOST I've paid for 22's is... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

$5.00
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

$5.00 for a brick ($.09 for a gallon of ethyl gas, $0.90 for a carton of Marlboro's).
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I remember single boxes of Thunderbolts at Wally World for 69 cents.
NRA Life Member
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
When I was a kid, ('50's) I recall boxes of 50 for around .50, perhaps less......

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I don't think I ever bought a brick of 22's until I was back in the "world" from overseas and bought myself a Browning Challenger as a mustering-out present. Growing up I would buy a box of shorts from Central Commercial for (I believe) 45 cents. But that was a fair chunk of coin in the 50's, and that box had to last me a while. From a real dollar standpoint those box-at-a-time 22's were probably my most expensive 22's ever. Long-rifles were .10 more than shorts so I never shot them growing up. Don't remember for sure but I may never have shot long-rifles also until I returned from the service.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

I still have a few 200 round plastic bulk boxes of CCI Mini Mag that I purchased back in the late 1970s, price on them is $1.99.

Have 20 boxes of Winchester Super X .22 in hundred round boxes that I paid $1.99 for. More expensive than the CCI was but we thought it must be better ammo.

I probably should shoot the oldest ammo first, but I just grab what's on top of the pile (latest in, first out)
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Back in the late 50's-early 60's a 50 round box of Remington or Winchester .22 LR was about US $ .45-50 cents. In the mid 1980s, I bought No-Name 500 round bricks of .22LR for about $4.50-5.00 when on sale at Coast To Coast Hardware. Son and I shot a great deal of .22LR back then. I am surprised he didn't shoot the barrel out of his Ruger 1022.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:09 pm Didn't want to hijack Jim's thread on .22's (current pricing). https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... =1&t=82716

I have a couple old bricks (500 rounds) of Winchester Wildcats that I bought from K-Mart around 1996-ish on sale for $7.99/brick.

Sigh...
Kmart would put those on special too, at times , and mark em down to 6.99 with limit of 3 per customer. i bought so many i still have some left!
cable
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Western Auto in Victorville had a brick for $3.50 in the early 70’s. But if you weren’t 21 you had to make sure Jamie was behind the counter. The other guy wouldn’t sell it to anyone under 21 because it could be used in handguns.

Imagine (though quite a few here don’t have to) returning from Southeast Asia and being told you’re too young to buy a drink or .22’s.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

These have been in the back of my locker for maybe 40 years, cant remember what I paid, probably around 7 bucks or so.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

jeepnik wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:27 am
Imagine (though quite a few here don’t have to) returning from Southeast Asia and being told you’re too young to buy a drink or .22’s.
That aint even half of it. :roll:
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:09 pm Didn't want to hijack Jim's thread on .22's (current pricing). https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... =1&t=82716

Sigh...

Still have a case of those....I believe they were $79 for the case of 5000.

Dennis.
Last edited by DennisB on Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hah! I started thinkin' that some of y'all were old... to remember that sorta stuff. I got my first .22 in about 1971ish... in a trade for a ride home for a fellow sailor... along with a couple of boxes of 22LRs. I shot it a few times with a buddy and he just HAD to have that Ruger "Single Six". So we swapped, my Ruger for his Marlin 336 in .30-30. And a box of factory ammo. So I can honestly say I've never bought any 22s...

Unless you want to include .223Rem... :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Target used to put the Wildcat 22 on sale for $5/brick a couple times a year in the late '70's and I recall the Federal 550 packs at Walmart being 5.97 through the mid to late '90's.

The Monkey Wards ammo is pretty neat, I've never seen that.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I still have some old bricks of Win. .22LR that have $4.50 prices on them. And I bought them new old stock at the local gun show for $4 a brick. But cheapest was the 5,000 rd. case of white box Win. .22LR I wont at the gun club Christmas party one year for free!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

When I was a kid, I think .22 LR hollow points were 50 cents a box and .22 Short was about 35 cents. I actually preferred the Shorts as they seemed to knock a squirrel out of a tree better. I shot mostly shorts and I had no idea what a brick was.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Murphy's Mart in Youngstown Ohio in the mid 70s. Remington Gold High Speed, your choice solid or hollow point. It was 0.59 a box of 50 or $5 a brick but my sister worked there so I got her 10% discount thus $4.50 a brick. Too much for me (I cut lawns for $2 a lawn) so I would split a brick with a high school friend. Other high school friends found out about it and I got them the same deal! I bet management there wondered why my sister bought so much ammo!
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I bought a new Kimber 82 22LR in 79 or 80 . The dealer had a mountain of Peters 22LR ammo $7.99 a brick . The first year I had that 22 I shot about ten bricks of the Peters stuff . Plenty walnuts exploded off tree limbs :wink: And a few squirrels met their maker as well .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
MS 9x56
Levergunner

Post by MS 9x56 »

My brother and I used to ride our bicycles to a hillside dump and shoot rats with our 22 Remington bolt action taking turns until rats stopped showing themselves or we shot our box of bullets. As I recall this was late 60's early 70's and we paid $.49 a box which we got from mowing lawns. That is where we learned trigger control and how to hit a moving target. Good times.
Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I remember the first brick of 22 long I bought for $5 in the mid seventies from the hardware store. That is how I learned that 22 long is not that same as 22LR. The Ruger 10/22 did not function well with those. It took about 5 years to use those up in the single shot Springfield. I remember in the early 2000's I would buy bulk pack of Federals at Walmart for $9.99. I bought a box every month when we went there. It was part of the grocery list.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I think the least I paid was 69 cents for a box of 50. Built a gun rack in shop class that had a drawer and it held 12 boxes of 22's. I thought I was rich in 22's if it was full. In my early 20's, I would stop by Otasco when they had 22's on sale and buy a case or two. Remington in a brown box and Peters stuff. Later, some WWSX from TG&Y.
Later I shot IHMSA and that Remington stuff in the brown box shot like match ammo out of my Contender 14" bbl. My Buckmark could care less what I fed it, it shot well with everything!! My 39a was partial to WWSX
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My Grandpa's old Monkey Wards pumper only used shorts. I remember getting him a box for Christmas, probably around 1958, for maybe 49 cents.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

There was a drug store in town that sold Eley short solids and long rifle hollow points. The shorts were 25 cents and the long rifle were 29 cents.
They also sold Eley 12 gauge low brass loads but I don't remember how much they were but it was less than Remington and Winchester at the time.
The stuff disappeared from inventory in 1964 or 1965.
cj57
Levergunner

Post by cj57 »

In 1965, my Grandad had a place in Kingman, AZ, gas, ammo, and fishing bait. I think they were .20-.25 for a box. We would shoot out back with his Colt bunt line single six
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

$7.50 for a cardboard carton (Brick) of CCI MiniMags from Highschool days (late 60s).
It is not the critic who counts
PatientWolf
Levergunner

Post by PatientWolf »

Growing up, I could get 100 rds of Remington for $.79 at Farm and Fleet. Sometimes I sprung the extra $.25 for Yellow Jackets.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

CCI stingers for $.79 a box. This was late 60's or early 70's. Still have 5 boxes.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Back in the 70s it was typical to find them for less than .02 cents a round, probably closer to a penny. I dont think anyone ever thought of buying a whole brick. They were always sitting on the counter at the hardware store. Buy as many as you want, never needed more than a box or two.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”