Second deer of the season

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Second deer of the season

Post by AJMD429 »

I killed my second deer of the season this morning, using a 115 grain jacketed hollow point from my Taurus model 92.

Some might not think this the ideal deer cartridge, but when you shoot them in the back of the head it's pretty effective.

It's not easy to sneak up on them and get a shot like that though, so what I did first was to run into the doe with my car. Once subdued like that, it was a fairly easy kill.

:D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Second deer of the season

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

They just don't run as far after you tenderize them.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I LIKE your way of hunting ... though it can be expensive. Did you bang up the vehicle? You might want to consider hunting with a 2 1/2 ton truck next time. :D
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

So you’re one of “those” hunters.

You’re story reminds me of my first year at the school I retired from. In the mid 80’s students were allowed to use 5 days of vacation to go deer hunting. The one boy spent the whole week hunting and didn’t get one. He did however get one with his truck on his way to school Monday morning. He threw the deer in the back of his truck and parked behind the industrial arts shop when he got to school. The first period class dressed and hung the deer.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

About ten years ago on opening day of muzzleloader season I had just walked back to the house after dark and the phone was ringing. Picked it up and it was my wife. "Did you get a deer today?" She asks.
"Nope" says me.
"Don't worry, I got one. With the Blazer."

She hit a nice fat doe coming home. She just caught the head/neck with the passenger side, lost almost no meat.

Eric
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hey Doc, I tried that method and at 75 mph it didn't need a finishing shot...:wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Years back I was coming home from an afternoon deer hunt, come around a turn and a doe is in the road, I lock up the brakes but still caught her, glad I had a push bar on as the vertical bar caught her square in the head. I thought great no damage, next morning I noticed the 'wings' of the push bar had broken the marker light housings on both sides.

Was coming home one night from a stupid bowl party, as I got off the interstate to head for home I saw cars in front of me braking & swerving. I knew it was a heavy deer area. I got in the left lane and slowed but I still heard BANG! I pulled over and got out to look, I found a smear of deer snot from right rear wheel well to bumper. The leading edge of the bumper had a nose cut off stuck between the bumper nod the bed. I didn't find that one!

Hope your car isn't too bad Doc!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

DadsMod12 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:42 pm So you’re one of “those” hunters.

You’re story reminds me of my first year at the school I retired from. In the mid 80’s students were allowed to use 5 days of vacation to go deer hunting. The one boy spent the whole week hunting and didn’t get one. He did however get one with his truck on his way to school Monday morning. He threw the deer in the back of his truck and parked behind the industrial arts shop when he got to school. The first period class dressed and hung the deer.
Can you even IMAGINE the 'triggering' that would happen in today's SnowFlake-ridden schools if they dressed and hung a deer...??? :roll: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Probably would be marched out in handcuffs with the TV crew filming the whole thing. School cancelled because of the "trauma" inflicted on other students/staff.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Sorry doc, next time use enough car.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Reminds me of Sore Shoulder's bison. I believe the projectile was a total loss. :D
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Wife says one morning, "Sorry, hit some deer with your truck." She was OK, we went to look at the truck. I said,"Dang Woman, how many did you hit? Oh...3 or 4...Axis Deer (big). Took out the front work and a Lot of the side esp. Drivers door caved in. Insurance guy come out looks it I've and says,"There is No Way to get damage like this from a deer!" I walk over and pull out a BUNCH of hair from under some trim, and say, "You think this deerhair came from an armadillo?" Hitting em in the head and spinning em into the side is a fairly high difficulty maneuver I've only managed once...easier in a 3/4 ton. 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Driving south on US285 from Fort Stockton to Sanderson early one morning I had a doe run into my front tire, headfirst into the hubcap, broke her neck. Another had just darted across the road and if I hadn't braked, I would've hit her braodside; and if I hadn't braked, this one would've hit me in the plastic skirting covering the fuel tanks... (a $700 replacement cost).
When I first started driving in the mid 90's, I was often routed between El Paso & Laredo. At night, I would often see the truck in front of me turning on their right or left turn signal... I finally asked one on the CB why. "So you can watch out for the deer on that side" was the answer... who knew???
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!