Favorites?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Favorites?

Post by Drawdown »

The posts about Pearl Harbour & Mod 12's sure got me to thinking about my Dad. He was a Winchester Shotgun fanatic. He didn't even own a rifle, but I can remember him, or us, including my brothers, owning almost all the fine Winchester shotguns ever made, with a few Brownings throne in. One my brother still has is the Sweet 16 my oldest brother bought in 66 before he went to Vietnam. And my dad loved Mod 12's, but he liked autos better. His all time favorite, his Mod 50 12ga I still have. He had one I remember well also, the Mod 10, the one not made long because it was a man killer.
Myself, I don't know why I never got a Mod 71 in 348, IMO, the Holy Grail of American rifles, but being a eastern hunter, my favorite Winchester is a Mod 64 in 30-30. My all time favorite shotgun was my Belgium Light 12. I loved the Mod 12's in my early days, but lost favor for pumps. Too noisy in squirrel woods, which is what we all hunted, back then deer here almost non existent. I just finished reading the latest Sporting Classics magazine, and there's a article about Herb Parsons, and a pic of his Mod 64 30-30. I know he favored the 64-71 configuration. But, the Mod 12 just shouts, Greatest American Shotgun, IMO!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Favorites?

Post by Drawdown »

While back there was a Gun Stories episode (great show), where Joe Montegna featured a Mod 97 Winchester that his grandfather bought new when he first came here from Europe in late 1800's to work in the underground coal mines of Oklahoma. That story, gun and all, is very comparable to mine.
My great grandpa came here from Wales worked in Mines of SE Ky, where every generation since him did the same, me being the 4th generation. I worked 39 complete years underground, never having went one day without a job until I retired in 2016. My son was the 5th generation coal miner, he completed his PhD from UofK, a Mine engineer. But mining about a thing of the past here now, but the Mod 12 was very much a part of the story, from my grandpa down to me, a Nickel Steel 20ga being the gun, but he got it used, and I traded it in 1981 regretfully very much! I held a 97 in my hands several times in late 70's thinking of buying it. Should have but never did. The forerunner to the Mod 12.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The Model 12, 20 ga. I have was my dad's. He gave it to me when he inherited my grandfather's 20 ga. along with several other Winchesters. For the longest time, other than a couple .410s, the only shotguns I owned were the 20 gage and a Model '97 Riot gun that was made just after WWI. Along with the new Benelli M4 and an old Delaware State Police 870 for defense guns, the Model 12 is all I've ever used for birds and small game since I got it when I was 12 and got my first hunting license.

The one I bought yesterday is the first Post-War Model 12 in the family. It will get cleaned up and used like it should.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Speaking of Grandad's Model 12, I have the Model 12, 20 ga my Grandfather had, then my Father, now me. Nickel Steel is on the 25" barrel. The serial number suggests it was made in 1916.
Not to wander off the thread, the second Winchester to come down to me from Grandad is a Model 1890 pump, octagon barrel 22. It's in the best shape or condition of any Model "90" I've ever seen.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Not off subject at all. That 1890 was the #1 squirrel rifle pic of many everywhere in the pre WWll days, before the good bolt actions came into being.
Question for anyone who knows? The 20ga I referred to was also Nickel Steel. What year did Winchester go to their next steel? I believe called Proof Steel?

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The Proof steel came about in the '30s if I remember correctly. My nickel steel 20 ga. dates out to 1921 and the new Proof Steel 12 gage dates to 1957. I have to remember to sneak my Winchester book out of my dad's gun room the next time I'm over there.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Another Model 12 lover. My favorite pump shotgun. Also inherited from my grandfather a 1928 nickel steel model in 12ga. But grandpa bought it in 1940 with money made playing the fiddle for the local square dance. Other Winchester pumps include a 1912 numbered 16 guage, and a Model 1893 from the first week if production, #80.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm a model 12 lover too and still have Dad's 26" full, 16 gage that he got for tightening the rods on a customer's model A Ford. Made him buy the new gasket and oil. The wife's Dad's 16 gage model 12 is in the safe next to it. Much nicer than mine and a 28" modified. I keep a loaded 12 hanging by the head of my bed for things that go bump in the night.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

i dont have a model 12....yet
but what a great gun....especially like it with a cutts compensator
just got an 1100 with one, and the original mod barrel too.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS