The Last Third of This Year .....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The Last Third of This Year .....

Post by JimT »

I have been shooting small guns more than any others. Two small guns in particular ... a Colt 1862 Police Model (new clone) and a Ruger New Bearcat Shopkeeper. Both are small and easily carried and both seem to be pretty accurate. Interesting to me is that they are both about the same size frame, grip and cylinder.
IMG_2876.JPG
IMG_2877.JPG
IMG_2883.JPG
The big difference is in barrel lengths and bore diameter
IMG_2888.JPG
I find both these guns enjoyable to shoot. The Shopkeeper is easier to clean once you're done shooting. Shooting the 1862, you spend quite a bit of time but don't shoot as many rounds. :) The 1862 looks more impressive when it goes off ... at least to me.
colt1862Police-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: The Last Third of This Year .....

Post by AmBraCol »

That 1862 looks like a fun little popper. I had quite a bit of fun with an 1860 that a friend sent me this summer. It kicked me back into the BP game again. I STILL haven't shot the Ruger Old Army since the last time in '15 or '12, don't recall which. Not sure why I didn't get that round tuit this year, maybe next. That 31 caliber should be economical enough to plink around with - a pinch of powder and a homeopathic pill's worth of lead. Are you casting your own round balls for it?
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, the older I get the more I believe in the wisdom of "less is more. "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Wow Jim! All that smoke makes me want to make some myself. And Paul, that '62 is a 36. I have 2 of them that are 2nd gen Colts. I think one of them is unfired. Gotta cure that when I get a chance.
38 and cloudy here tonight and supposed to be warm all next week. Can you imagine? My wife wants a chain saw for Christmas. I thought maybe a battery powered one but those things are a dreadful cost. I already have 5 or 6 or 7 that just need a little tuning up and fresh gas. But I can't pull hard enough to start one but I'll get the eldest son at home to help.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AmBraCol wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:29 pm That 1862 looks like a fun little popper. I had quite a bit of fun with an 1860 that a friend sent me this summer. It kicked me back into the BP game again. I STILL haven't shot the Ruger Old Army since the last time in '15 or '12, don't recall which. Not sure why I didn't get that round tuit this year, maybe next. That 31 caliber should be economical enough to plink around with - a pinch of powder and a homeopathic pill's worth of lead. Are you casting your own round balls for it?
As MM Wright said, the 1862 is a .36 caliber. I do have a mold and yes, I cast up a bunch of round balls for it. Full charge of 3fg is 21 grains. I have a scoop that throws 20 and that's just fine. Shoots hard and plenty of power and accurate to boot. I cut the rear sight notch deeper to get it on target at 20 yards or so. It is a fun gun to shoot.

As is the Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

m.A.g.a. !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My BP shooting has been curtailed except for a couple more matches... then I'm out of caps.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Griff wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:41 pm My BP shooting has been curtailed except for a couple more matches... then I'm out of caps.
Natchez has them ...
https://www.natchezss.com/cci-11-magnum ... 00-ct.html
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JimT wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:19 pm
AmBraCol wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:29 pm That 1862 looks like a fun little popper. I had quite a bit of fun with an 1860 that a friend sent me this summer. It kicked me back into the BP game again. I STILL haven't shot the Ruger Old Army since the last time in '15 or '12, don't recall which. Not sure why I didn't get that round tuit this year, maybe next. That 31 caliber should be economical enough to plink around with - a pinch of powder and a homeopathic pill's worth of lead. Are you casting your own round balls for it?
As MM Wright said, the 1862 is a .36 caliber. I do have a mold and yes, I cast up a bunch of round balls for it. Full charge of 3fg is 21 grains. I have a scoop that throws 20 and that's just fine. Shoots hard and plenty of power and accurate to boot. I cut the rear sight notch deeper to get it on target at 20 yards or so. It is a fun gun to shoot.

As is the Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper!

OK. For some reason I was confusing it with this one: viewtopic.php?p=909796#p909796

Still not a heavy eater of components though. 20 grains of FFFg gives you 350 shots (assuming you don't spill any) from a pound of powder and 4 pounds of lead give you the requisite 350 projectiles needed. I find it interesting how the "obsolete" cap and ball revolver has had a resurgence of interest in the last couple years.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

It would be fun hunting rabbits or blue quail or javelina with a cap n ball sixgun out in Sanderson Canyon.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:28 pm It would be fun hunting rabbits or blue quail or javelina with a cap n ball sixgun out in Sanderson Canyon.
I have done it and it is just a thrill! When I shot this one there were some guys about a half mile away with AR's shooting up the countryside. Never hit any of the pigs. I walked by their camp carrying this one and when they saw what I shot it with it got real quiet.
Remington-Javelina.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:45 pm
Griff wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:41 pmMy BP shooting has been curtailed except for a couple more matches... then I'm out of caps.
Natchez has them ...
https://www.natchezss.com/cci-11-magnum ... 00-ct.html
I've been writing & emailing Remington... I do like theirs best, maybe I'll just have to take the bit in my teeth and get some of these... I understand they fit my Tresso nipples...
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:28 pmIt would be fun hunting rabbits or blue quail or javelina with a cap n ball sixgun out in Sanderson Canyon.
Yes, that sounds like a really good time!!!
JimT wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:23 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:28 pm It would be fun hunting rabbits or blue quail or javelina with a cap n ball sixgun out in Sanderson Canyon.
I have done it and it is just a thrill! When I shot this one there were some guys about a half mile away with AR's shooting up the countryside. Never hit any of the pigs. I walked by their camp carrying this one and when they saw what I shot it with it got real quiet.
Remington-Javelina.JPG
:lol: :lol: I've had that experience... Way up in the high Sierras at out deer camp three rather inebriated hunters came into our camp as we where packing up and asked why we were leaving well before sunset on opening day... then they saw the 2 bucks hanging and said, "oh"; and slinked off! My hunting partner and I both looked at each other and at the same time, said... "beer is for after you get the deer."
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!