Impressive.44 Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Impressive.44 Special

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I was shooting Skeeter’s load in this Old Model Ruger .357 that has been converted to .44 Special.

Nice gun and beautiful finish. Shoots good too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Impressive.44 Special

But the stags have a sharp edge that blisters the hand. So how does one shape and polish stags to get rid of this sharp edge?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

In the mean time I put these mesquite stocks on it.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Depending on how much material needs to be removed, I would start with either a smooth file for shaping, or some sandpaper, say 180-220 grit, on a stick if you dont need much taken off. A Scotch brite pad in the finest grade, the gray ones, should bring the polish back.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Excellent 44 and fine shooting, Scott.

I guess I have been lucky, the few sets of stag grips I have owned had no abrasive edges. If they did I'd have dehorned them generally in manner Crusty described.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Thank you Gentlemen. The blister thing is really distracting to me shooting well. I think that if I can round that edge a bit things will be better.

I wish I knew for sure who did this conversion. I’d like to shake that man’s hand and buy him a drink.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Photos
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:13 am Thank you Gentlemen. The blister thing is really distracting to me shooting well.
The first centerfire handgun I got was a Ruger Super Blackhawk, and I'd just worked a bunch of concrete into a fence-trench so our dog wouldn't dig out (again). I was 17 and didn't know that concrete would blister hands, and got some fence-wire cuts as well. So when my mom and I went to pick the gun up my hands were wrapped in gauze. They didn't have any 'cowboy' loads back then, nor any 44 Special. Just 240 grain JSP's with full-house loads. Since all I'd ever shot was my Ruger Mk-1 22 LR, I actually had a friend come over to shoot the Super Blackhawk for me... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

That's a fine-looking Blackhawk!
I have a flattop Blackhawk in 44spl.
It's one of my favorite shooters!
I use pretty common Walnut aftermarket grips.
Nothing to fancy, but it works for me.
It fills my hand a whole lot better than factory black plastic grips.
Johnny
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Target shot with a new model Flat Top Blackhawk.

Grips had sharp edges that I sanded off.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

There is something special about the .44 Special, particularly in a SAA size handgun.

I just wish I could get my other Rugers to shoot this well.

And, I think I would be just as happy with a set of regular walnut stocks.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That rear sight looks a lot like Mr. Bowen's "Rough Country". I believe he did a lot of 357 / .44 Spl conversions, especially early on. He has Turnbull do the case hardening and those colors look a lot like the one he did for me now that they're starting to fade a bit.
Wouldn't hurt to send an email, if they worked on it, I would imagine they would have the SN# logged.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

44 Spl has the perfect range and balance in a handgun IMO, 700 - 1250 fps. I load them about 800 fps. Seems accurate with almost any shotgun powder.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I found some slightly scarred up walnut stocks. They are a little proud in a couple of spots, but a few minutes with some sandpaper and a little tru-oil and they will be fine.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:21 pm 44 Spl has the perfect range and balance in a handgun IMO, 700 - 1250 fps. I load them about 800 fps. Seems accurate with almost any shotgun powder.
My Dad shot .44 Magnums and Special a lot but I never had one until 2005! Once I started shooting and loading for the .44 Special I wondered why in the world I had never done this before! I really enjoy mine.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Took a quick photo of the rear sight on my SBH.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Began in 88 loading with about 4,000 45 ACP. Then another 5,000 44 Spl. Mixed in about 2,000 45 Colt. Used many shotgun powders Bullseye to 2400. Most through 1911s, a Model 24, a Model 25 and a few SAs. Have a pretty good idea how various loads will work out.

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I started reloading .44-40's around 1959 .. and .357's a couple years later. Then I went to .45 Colts and for some reason skipped the .44 Special and .44 Magnum. Not sure why. I think at the time I felt I could do it all with the .45 Colt .... and I pretty much did. Then the .41 Magnum got my attention and I never felt the need for the .44 Magnum after that. And the .44 Special was overlooked. Silly I know but that's the way it was. I have attempted to correct that deficiency in the years since the .44 Special taught me it really was special!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I recently fell in love with 44 special after feeling the abuse of magnum loads in short barreled wheelies. Im working loads for the Rimrock 185 grain lswc-hp.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I actually did not mess with the .44 Special until we had a special run of USFA guns for the Shootists Holiday.

I also bought a couple of thousand .44 Special cases from Starline that were headstamped "Shootists .44 Spl."

I had the barrel chopped and I had it restocked and I have been shooting it ever since.

Now, it is my favorite cartridge and I have lost maybe one or two of those cases over the years. The rest keep getting reloaded. Mostly with Skeeter's load.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:12 pm I actually did not mess with the .44 Special until we had a special run of USFA guns for the Shootists Holiday.
I also bought a couple of thousand .44 Special cases from Starline that were headstamped "Shootists .44 Spl."
Same here. That was what got me started with the .44 Special.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:27 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:12 pm I actually did not mess with the .44 Special until we had a special run of USFA guns for the Shootists Holiday.
Same here. That was what got me started with the .44 Special.
Kelly Brost just told me that at my age and level of infirmaty I should be shooting a .22 and he offered to trade me a .22 or one of Renee's .32s. Then he offered to take me to the nursing home.......such friends.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

That sounds like Kelly!
laughing.JPG
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Very Nice!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:34 pm In the mean time I put these mesquite stocks on it.
I LIKE IT!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I took those scarred up old stocks and reshaped them to fit better. A couple of coats of Tru Oil and I think they look fine.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ahhh... a three-screw model. The way God meant for the Ruger Black Hawk and Super Black Hawk revolvers to be!!! :D :D :D