Winchester 1894 Removing Front Sight RAMP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FCB17G
Levergunner

Winchester 1894 Removing Front Sight RAMP

Post by FCB17G »

I had to replace the barrel on my Winchester 1894 (1895 production) with another pre-64 barrel. The "new" barrel is probably 1950s production and I need to remove the front sight ramp so that I can solder on an old style sight block and use the original magazine tube (read below for details, or skip). How were these ramps installed?? I assume silver solder, but I'm very hesitant to heat up the barrel to 1200 degrees F to melt it- Is this what I need to do? I can't pop it off with a sharp blow. I heated it up until the steel started changing color on the barrel, and called it off. Do I need to push it?

The replacement went fine, but I absolutely do not want to use the more modern sight on the new barrel (it had a ramp that contains a dovetail for the front sight) and will be making a new front sight post and re-soldering it in the location of the original. The main issue is that the new sight location is NOT compatible with the original magazine tube, because the newer version has the front barrel band behind the sight, while the old one was in front. So, the cutout in the magazine tube won't match the barrel, and thus can't install a front barrel band. I'd rather modify the replacement barrel than the original magazine tube.

I'm keeping the original barrel, but it won't be on the gun again for a long long time. It's so bad that it looks like someone ran a drill bit through the barrel- No rifling at all, very rough, and striped lines.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1894 Removing Front Sight RAMP

Post by M. M. Wright »

I think that ramp is part of the barrel. Would have been easy to turn off before installing the barrel. I may be wrong and if I am, someone will be along to correct me. I've used that type ramp by just moving the front band back behing the ramp and filing a new groove for the band screw. Looks like the later models.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester 1894 Removing Front Sight RAMP

Post by Pat C »

I responded over on gunboards to this, like said above the ramps on early rifles were forged as part of the barrel.
Easily tell as the sides are radiused and have lateral polish marks along side.
The sweated on ramp style you can see a line a long ramp edge and the barrel polish lines will disappear under ramp.

Anyway if you have forged ramp there is enough meat to turn the post out of the ramp ,then slot it. You will have a better job. The shallow groove for the hood will be left and can be tig weld filled or left as is.