"....A Date That Shall Live In Infamy"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

"....A Date That Shall Live In Infamy"

Post by Blaine »

Every year, more and more people forget.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "....A Date That Shall Live In Infamy"

Post by Ray »

Thanks for the reminder. I am always cognizant of the significance of 07 December but I simply did not realize today was the seventh.....
m.A.g.a. !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:23 pm Thanks for the reminder. I am always cognizant of the significance of 07 December but I simply did not realize today was the seventh.....
Don't feel bad. After being retired for nearly 10 years, I often have to look at the phone or computer to realize what day or date it is....That sort of freedom is priceless.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

WE REMEMBER
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I've been through Pearl Harbor three times on destroyers. I've stood on the USS Arizona Memorial, read the hundreds of names, looked down upon the underwater turret mount.
Very humbling to say the least.

I've also stood at ground zero in Nagasaki, very humbling as well.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TraderVic wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:20 pm I've been through Pearl Harbor three times on destroyers. I've stood on the USS Arizona Memorial, read the hundreds of names, looked down upon the underwater turret mount.

Is ground zero not still "hot"?
If I ever make it to Japan I'll have to visit there.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

vancelw wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:03 pm
TraderVic wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:20 pm I've been through Pearl Harbor three times on destroyers. I've stood on the USS Arizona Memorial, read the hundreds of names, looked down upon the underwater turret mount.

Is ground zero not still "hot"?
If I ever make it to Japan I'll have to visit there.
The A bomb at Nagasaki detonated 1500 ft above the ground. The city and surrounding area is quite mountainous, so the planners had the bomb explode higher up to maximize destruction.
Ground zero is a garden (called Peace Garden if I remember correctly), dedicated to those who perished and suffered.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My parents took up to Hawaii when I was around twelve. Even at that age, standing on the Arizona Memorial was moving.

May they rest in peace.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

They shall grow not old,
as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them,
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
and in the morning
We will remember them.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I don't forget. My grandfather was there on that morning. He was at the Schofield Barracks when the planes came. (And later Guadalcanal and the Philippines.)
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Back in my security guard days, this was about the mid '80s, I ran across one old guy that was getting ready to take off on a business trip and he and I got to talking. He mentioned that his Dad was a Col. in the army based at Pearl on Dec. 7. After the raid started he noticed some Japanese 'fishermen' coming down the street that was near his home next to the bay. He ran inside and grabbed his 22 target rifle and some ammo and hunkered down behind some bushed and started taking pot shots at said fishermen, aiming at the chest area. When the Jap fishermen finally realized that they were taking fire they picked up the wounded and headed back to the fishing boats. When his Dad came home later in the afternoon he told him what he had done and where the fishermen had gone. His Dad rounded up some troops and headed out to the boats and grabbed the fishermen. His Dad never told him how many he may have killed that day! Other things were going on that day besides the air raid!
That is one Pearl Harbor story I will never forget!
My Mother's first cousin joined the Marines and was killed on Iwo Jima, head shot! At least he didn't suffer.
Last edited by 1894cfan on Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

My dad turned 15 in April of 1942, shortly after he tried to enlist in Marines by lying about his age, but it didn't work. Soon as he turned 16, his mom signed for him. He spent quite a while at Pearl before going to S.Pacific, in 43. He landed on Saipan the morning of that invasion, I believe June 44? There until that was completed. He was walking on Nagasaki less than 2 weeks after the bomb, stayed I think 2 weeks -month, can't remember? He was 6'2" and always chunky built. In his late 20's early 30's he suddenly lost lot weight, unexplained. He didn't worry about or think anything of it cause he worked low coal in underground mining anyway. Found out later it was the early long exposure to radiation on Nagasaki, but he never got cancer or anything. Told me of the gruesome things he saw there!
My oldest brother was a Marine, killed Nov 67 near Hue City. Found out the casualty rate there was worst the Marines ever suffered in any battles in history! That's where the TET Offensive began, new years 68.
Shame the ridicule our servicemen suffered from American people during Vietnam, very very undeserved!
I never forget Pearl, or WWl, or any of the other wars! Way of thinking in America now, sure worries me!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!