Original Win 1886 Lightweight Mag Tube

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Original Win 1886 Lightweight Mag Tube

Post by Bridger »

I was looking at an original 1886 lightweight yesterday. Actually I say lightweight but I’m not sure that’s the correct technical term for the rifle but it was a .33wcf, 22 or 24” barrel, solid frame, and short mag that ended a couple inches past the end of the forearm. In my inspection of the rifle, I noticed the mag tube plug screw was not screwed into the barrel, though it did look like there was a threaded hole there for it to go into. I tried to move the screw with my fingers (I didn’t have a screwdriver with me) to see if it was loose and had just backed out but I couldn’t. So I don’t know if something is buggered and the screw can’t be screwed back into the barrel or if it’s a simple fix or what.

BUT, my question is…..

Is the mag tube also secured to the rifle by being threaded into the receiver? Or is that little screw pretty much it? I’ve read on some full mag tube 1886s the mags were not threaded into the receiver, but on this later 1901 lightweight rifle I can’t tell if it is or not. If it is, then if I couldn’t get that screw to screw into the barrel like it’s supposed to it wouldn’t bother me as much if I do but the gun.

Thanks!
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Original Win 1886 Lightweight Mag Tube

Post by 2ndovc »

This is what mine looks like. Though, I can't help with the question about treaded into the receiver. I've never had it apart.
I'm sure Jack will be along sooner or later.

Hope that helps a little bit.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I have an 1886 in 33 wcf myself with a full-length magazine from 1908.
I not sure about the connection of the tube where it meets the receiver.
In a perfect world it would be screwed into the receiver.
I would also like to know if mine is designated as a lightweight.?
Someone will be along with a load of lever gun knowledge to school us in the 1886 Winchester!
Oh, Sixgun where are you!
Johnny
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Thanks 2nd, that did confirm how I thought the mag plug screw should look. Hopefully someone will come along that knows whether the tube is threaded…

- Winston Churchill
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

No, it's not threaded ....the early ones are.....should be a barrel dovetail tenon that the forend cap holds onto and is kept in place by the 2 opposing screws. There is a slight and possible chance the gun was an earlier receiver that was once a threaded receiver which was a common factory conversion at the time. People wanted to get away from the slow moving dash numbered cartridges.

It's always nice to peek around even if it's just to see the barrel date and cartridge that's stamped under the barrel, near the receiver. Just take off the screw at the forend button at the end of the mag tube and the button and spring will come out then take off the two forend cap screws and slide that off....push the tenon from left to right and remove the forend. If the mag tube does not come out readily just tap on it and pull...............if that don't work insert a rod of some sort through the end of mag tube that fits the two screw holes and turn it out.......

It's easier than how I wrote it....just use a good screwdriver and leave the screws backed out a half turn when reassembling. A very small amount of locktite or teflon pipe tape will keep the screw from working all the way out......

You don't want those screws tight......------006
Model A Uzi’s
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Thanks Six!

- Winston Churchill
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

My 1906 mfg 33WCF lightweight has a threaded magazine tube. How do I know? Here is a photo of a replacement tube where I am cutting the threads for it.
1886rebuild-15.JPG
I think you have it backwards Sixgun, early ones were not threaded and Winchester had trouble with these heavy cartridges causing the magazine tube to recoil forward. Later ones, as well as the Model 71, had the threads on the magazine tube. Pirkle states the switch occurred around serial 110000. The removal of the tubes can be accomplished as Sixgun states, however, if they are tight, and they often are (even on non threaded 1886s, 1876s, and 1873s) due to black powder fouling getting down in there and rust locking it in, you do run the risk of a torn or deformed magazine tube cap screw hole. In fact, since some of these tubes are not really tubes at all but rolled sheet metal with an unwelded seam, you run the risk of springing the tube. I came up with a technique which may be of some help. After double checking the gun is not loaded, take a wood dowel with an OD larger than the mag tube ID, on a lathe (you can just use a rasp and do this by hand if you have no lathe) turn it down to snugly fit into the mag tube...maybe about 2" deep. Cut the dowel so about 2" of wood is exposed above the mag tube. Push the dowel in and drill a small hole for a size 6 or 8 round head wood screw into the dowel where the hole is on the tube for the magazine cap screw. Take a small 6 or 8 screw 3/8" to 1/2" long and tighten it onto the dowel through the hole. You have now locked your dowel into the mag tube which spreads out the force you need to apply and can take channel locks or a pair of pliers and clamping onto the exposed wood unscrew the tube, rocking it clockwise and counterclockwise if needed to break the tube free. Kroil may need to be applied through the receiver onto the area where the tube is held onto the receiver, and don't forget to remove the tube ring pin and put kroil on the magazine tube ring if your gun has the full length magazine tube, as rust occurs there too. I have never had this method fail me and have never ruined a magazine tube doing this. Hope this helps!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958