Winchester 95 carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Winchester 95 carbine

Post by barbarossa »

Last day of deer season so I took my miroku Winchester 95 Src in 30/06 for a walk .We didn’t t see a deer but we had a good walk anyway
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by barbarossa on Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 95 carbine

Post by .45colt »

We don't always have to kill a critter to have a Great Hunt. forty five years ago , bow hunting before tree stands and four wheelers , I would flush a lot of Ruffed Grouse to and from My hunting area. now they are Gone from Ohio. Just getting out is Enough. Glad You had a Great Day. :D .
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Looks like you had a grand day. I miss getting out in the woods this time of year. It's good to share vicariously in others hunts though.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Nice rifle. Regret the lost opportunity to buy either a Browning or Winchester 1895 carbine or rifle in "aught six" or .30-40 when they were available....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice looking Carbine to accompany you on the "walk"....the deer will be there next season... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

The Winchester 1895 in .405 WCF has become my favorite big bore stalking rifle. Here is one critter the PH and trackers sneaked up on and I shot at 20 yards:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

crs wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:40 pm The Winchester 1895 in .405 WCF has become my favorite big bore stalking rifle. Here is one critter the PH and trackers sneaked up on and I shot at 20 yards:
That beast looks like a cross between a bull moose and a Texas Longhorn!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Indeed! However the skull and horns mount looks good on the wall.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

crs wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:07 pm Indeed! However the skull and horns mount looks good on the wall.
What kind of meat do you wind up getting out of a critter that big?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My first whitetail and my '95 in .30-'06. The little 125 gr. Sierra was in a perfect mushroom, just under the skin on the opposite side.
The buck, shot through the heart, took two steps and stumbled down a small hill.
That was 27 years ago, and I still remember shaking so hard didn't think I could hit it. :shock:

Still have that '95 and a few others. The '95 will always be my favorite Winchester.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I wish Winchester would make another run of the 95 carbines in 303british ,it sure would be popular up here in Canada
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

"What kind of meat do you wind up getting out of a critter that big?"
None on this Cape Buff shot in RSA.

However, the water buff shot in Texas was the same size and yielded three big coolers of butchered meat which provided beef for my family for about two years. The brisket and back strip were smoked for a big game cookout at our place in Farmersville and a few Leverguns members and some guest hunters from Australia helped to eat it all. Plus quail and alligator appetizers provided by 86er. Between 40-50 at dinner that day. My grandson was parking the guests cars in the horse pasture.
IIRC, my daughter tenderized the brisket by soaking it in DR Pepper for two days (R Krodle recipe) and it was all eaten - not a scrap left. Good food and good company.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

barbarossa wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:00 am I wish Winchester would make another run of the 95 carbines in 303british ,it sure would be popular up here in Canada
You and me both! I've been chasing an original for years. I've only seen two original .303 SRCs for sale and my bank account said no at the time. :oops:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The last time I took my Browning 95 in 30-06 out hunting. I brought it up on a buck and couldn't see the front sight. It was 6:55 AM in the woods, just too dark. Since then I put a front fiber optic sight on all my 95"s. This deer season I shot a deer with the model 71 so next year it will be the 95 in 35 Win. I haven't shot a deer with that yet. I think the 95's carry better than the 71/86's.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I shot this little buck with my 95 carbine shortly after I got it back in 2007
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.